Feels quite unprofessional

We shouldn’t miss the target. Analytics are not spying, they are business metrics and thus are allowed by RGPD (that doesn’t mean you couldn’t be against them, anyway, :wink:). The spy here is the third-party provider. Which happens to be a difficult choice.

2 Likes

If I hire a spy and tell them I don’t want to know exactly what each person does that I tell them to spy on, but just the meta data of the group, but I know that the spy still reports back everything to the spy agency, then I’m still the one responsible for that group being spied on.

1 Like

I would rant if i create a fairphone account and all of a sudden I automatically have a forum account so the way that you register for your services is the right way (for most of the users).

so what does fairphone do for you besides the incredible ifixit score of 10/10:

• they are liberal with the bootloader, they tell you how to unlock and re-lock your bootloader to install another operating system (!!) the warranty is not lost when you do that. THAT is freedom
  • besides selling all parts on their sites for repair (apple and co sometimes dont sell original parts at all, you gotta buy a fake part with less quality) they now sell also upgrades like the 48MP camera
  • they work together with the e-foundation to make /e/os run flawlessly on the fairphone (which I use since 3 months). its fully ungoogled and if you dont feel able to work off 8 bullet points in a manual on the installation, you can also buy fairphones directly from https://e.foundation/
  • they are now at their third phone in production, first two were a bit fragile and they nailed it with the third one. check out samsung how long it took them to produce a phone that does not go up in flames at night haha :D. that said, its not easy to produce a phone, especially if you make it modular. they are trying hard and are doing a great job imho.

I agree that the original OS is full of google software but I think its aimed for the normal user which does not want to bother that his push notifications are working f.e… every advanced user can easily change OS without losing warranty.
cheers, r

6 Likes

Completely forgot about that one :smiley: I remember Samsung phones from 10 years ago were pretty crappy (to my taste) and I would go for Sony and HTC. Now, Samsung produces phones and tablets of excellent quality even right out of the box, privacy concerns aside. I have a feeling Fairphone will eventually get there as well (not that it does a bad job currently).

I bet you haven’t even used Linux on Desktop once, or at least not in the past two-three years.
You don’t have to know how to program at all, any decently computer-competent person would easily get along with Linux*. If you just want to “use it”, for 95% of the setup you don’t even need the terminal, and rest can just be copypasted from a tutorial.

Just because you don’t know something doesn’t automatically make it “only for weird nerds without any friends”.

*as long as they’re willing to learn something new. Someone who has never used a computer before would probably have an equally easy/hard (depending on how you look at it) time starting with Linux as with Windows. It’s just that most people are familiar with the latter, so they don’t want to look outside of the box and try something new.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.