With today’s release of Fairphone’s Impact Report vol. 2 [please discuss other aspects of the Impact Report elsewhere], we also got a tiny bit of extra numbers on a favourite topic of us statistics obsessed folks: Fairphones sold since the company’s inception. I have combined these with the number of FP3s that @Stanzi was able to elicit from @lorahaspels earlier this year, past sale numbers from a German newspaper article from late summer 2018 plus the widely known numbers of 25000 FP1s and 35000 FP1Us sold in 2013 and 2014. I wasn’t able to research an exact number for the oft-forgotten small-scale sale of the final batch of FP1Us in the first quarter of the year 2015, but it was around 1000 devices. Please let me know if you find better data.
- Each column indicates the number of Fairphones sold in a year (not delivered). Remember while the whole FP1 first edition was sold over the course of the year 2013, the vast majority of these devices were only delivered in early 2014.
- Fairphone counts devices sold to resellers as sold (so even when those keep sitting on their stock, they count as sold in the stat), so that’s what went into the graph.
- Where Fairphone’s own numbers (slightly) differ from the 2018 newspaper article, I chose to regard Fairphone’s numbers as more exact and/or more up-to-date
- I deduced the number of FP2s sold in 2019 by subtracting Lora’s number from the 2019 total released today.
- Fairphone states a total of 182999 Fairphone sold since 2013. If you make the math, that is far below the cumulated number of my data compilation above (nearly 220000). As of now, I simply cannot explain this difference.
Feel free to provide more/better data if you have a proper source for it!