Fairphone works together with military company?

Yes and the only thing stopping a bad man with a gun is a good man with a gun.

3 Likes

Which is why I argued “can also be used”.

During the assimilation phase, the new rulers integrate a part of the conquered culture into their own to keep everyone happy.

I think @paulakreuzer meant it ironically.

2 Likes

That was taken into account.

2 Likes

I couldn’t image it otherwise

I wish I had thought my last question through more thoroughly before I posed it. I should have stuck to this individual’s specific problem and how to solve that. Please forget my previous post as it serves no purpose here.

Honestly to say this is really bad advice.

I recommend to first contact Customer Support, so they can get you more information on what is defect and why the Core Module should be replaced.
It is indeed not clear from the statement from the repair center (honestly, I am a bit dissapointed about that), but through Customer Support you can get much more details. They are there to help you.

After that you can still decide to have it repaired or not.

3 Likes

Do you pay your taxes? Then you support the military.

And, depending on which military it is that could be a good or bad thing.

4 Likes

Yes, but this is not a reason to take them into account when you are going to make a fairer phone that avoids conflicts. I would like an explanation too

That’s the same as saying “Do you breath? Then you support the climate crisis.”.

Let’s agree to disagree. Debating whether military could ever be a good thing goes beyond the scope of this topic/forum.

2 Likes

As - in my opinion - goes a thread like “Poll: Where do you see yourself on the leftist spectrum?”
So, who is to decide what is appropriate to be discussed.
In my humble opinion, it is a question of manners, though I will not participate in any of those two discussions. Still, if one is reasoning instead of blaming or flaming, who am I to judge?

1 Like

One is a topic where you can share your views without judging which view is right or wrong - the other would be a discussion about which of two views is right or wrong.

I see an inherent difference there, but sure - as long as the discussion didn’t turn inappropriate I wouldn’t moderate it.

I guess, that is your perception.
To me both themes can be either a sharing of views without judging or a fight about right or wrong.
Do you know “The life o Brian” by Monty Python?
Remember the “Peoples Front Judea” and the “Judean Peoples Front”?
I personally recall really serious discussions about disagreements on leftists viewpoints.

2 Likes

I’m not saying both can’t turn into ugly discussions - I put a disclaimer in the poll to avoid just that.

I’m saying the question “Where do you see yourself on a certain issue/spectrum” doesn’t ask for a discussion about who is right, but “is xy good or bad” obviously does.

1 Like

Careful. That doesn’t sound entirely wrong, although “contribute” would be more fitting than “support” I guess.

Question: Can you explicitly not support something while being unable to not contribute to it? Philosophers to the rescue, please :slight_smile: …

2 Likes

Supporting something imply will. If you didn’t or can’t choose, you can’t be held accountable. You can still do something to not being part of the problem, but you’re not responsible of the issue for not doing it or lacking the capability to do so. In our era, the distance between actions and consecuences is called “adiaforization”, BTW.

E.g.: people not buying a conflict-free device like the Fairphone are not supporting all those crimes. They’re not being part of the solution (and that’s ok).

3 Likes

Back the question of the topic.
As I see it, FP most likely does not have the choices, when it comes to that kind of cooperation.
And where to start and where to end?
E.g. when they do look for a supplier for displays, there are quite a few aspects to take into consideration.
Finding one, that is willing to use conflict free materials and pay fair wages and allow a workers fund will be on top of the list.

And now one starts looking who else is on the list of their customers.
Maybe they build displays for military devices or vehicles as well or stuff for military drones etc.
Fairphone will really be challenged to find some company, that is doing it all right. Especially not being perfect right now themselves.

I totally agree. It’s just, that so far choices are always limited.
E.g. if you don’t want to support Google and protect data, then Fairphone (at least now and out of the box) is not for you, maybe Librem is.
The perfect choice for all does not exist so far.

And the cordongroup, that this thread is about, is able and willing to repair phones and they are working in recycling as well, having an established and functioning process for that.
So, should FP go and look for another company like that? How many of those are out there? I would not know, but I guess Fairphone has surely done some research.

P.s.:
(One last remark on that off-topic thing: In my opinion JohnHughes did not really ask for what’s good or bad, he just offered his opinion. And he clearly left it at that.)

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.