Fairphone works together with military company?

I like the ‘TM’ for trade mark reference :wink:

They clearly offer three opportunities on the quotation uploaded by @love :
Repair for 224.17 Euro (for replacing of display and core module, that’s a fair price; I even would call it a bargain)
Returning for 15.30 Euro
Destroying it at no costs.

If they are the official repair center for Fairphone, they sure will have gotten their spare parts from Fairphone themselves. Otherwise they could not do their work!

I just have taken a look at the homepage of cordongroup.
That’s a really large and diversivied portfolio/company. I agreee with what @JeroenH has said.
Plus: Fairphone has to find a company, that can do the service efficiently and at a reasonable price. I have no idea, how many companies fit that description in Europe and are willing to work with Fairphone. I guess it will not be that much. And I for sure have no idea, what you will discover “hidden in their closet”.

5 Likes

Is there a source for this? The core module is currently still listed here for repairs outside of warranty …

https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/articles/211437743-Fairphone-2-repair-price-list-and-FAQ

1 Like

That’s what I though I’d heard when at the Fairphone office a couple of days ago - but I probably misheard. Thanks for pointing it out.

What’s wrong with the military anyway? I presume they just work with the French military. There again, maybe Cordon Group helps the French military to help Saudia Arabia.

Interesting, because this was brought up over here, too.
Let’s see how it plays out.

1 Like

We can at least be fairly sure that FP will only use them for repairs - you send in a broken FP2, they replace the core module, send it back and then keep the broken one to see if it can be fixed/used for parts.

Maybe they’ll sell off whatever they have left when the FP2’s End Of Life comes around, though.

1 Like

I am fairly sure, that Fairphone will have taken care, that spare parts and broken parts will be recycled.
Every other solution would be strictly against their selfproclaimed core values.
https://www.fairphone.com/en/impact/reuse-recycling/
and this here:

And I guess, that’s the reason, they have chosen cordongroup.
They are active in recycling as well:

https://www.cordongroup.com/fr/recyclage-reprise-produits-developpement-durable.html

1 Like

I am a bit confused now about the “Description / Intervention” Part in the Quote of Cordon Group.
Some understood it as a Display and Core Module replacement.
I understand the Description part to indicate where the repair is supposed to happen and the Intervention part to say what actually is going to be done. Is that not right?

I remember that the core module had a small knit and I didn’t just want to repair the display, that also was broken, because of the knit in the core module. I was worried that some “inner life” was damaged.
I then didn’t check if the “inner life” tech stuff in the core module was working or not because I am not educated enough and am in a tight time schedule with the phone.
So I sent it in for repair.

If the tech stuff in the core module is actually fine and there is only a knit in the board, then that might be why the cost is so low and why it is saying “exchange motherboard (swap)”, right?
Does anybody here think, that could be the case?
Would it make sense to then cancel the repair and buy a new display module to save money?
Or is that not a good idea because some core module stuff could actually be broken?

I hope I am not overwhelming with questions and you are able and willing to give me some good advise.

Thanks a lot! :slight_smile:

Peace, love

1 Like

I agree.
Intervention is what they do.
Description is the part of the phone that is affected.

The motherboard is the core module minus the plastic frame.
Take a look at pictures 12 to 14 here:

So, if they swap i.e. exchange the motherboard, replacing the display by yourself will not do the trick in my opinion.
For just replacing more or less the display, the price tag would be hefty.

If you love your phone and want to keep it (I would), let them fix it and you get a phone that is as good as new, as the major parts are new.
I have no idea, if you will find a used FP2 in the forum or elswhere for less.
You will get all the modules with it, true, but you have no idea, if they are all working fine. And the replacement modules should at least be checked and tested, even if they should be refurbished ones.

Edit:
“Only” a knit in the board might be the most serious of defects any electronic device can face.
As I saw in a report on tv just yesterday. A technician said, that one drop of water in the wrong place can destroy the phone completely or a dive in sea-water can see it running afterwards just fine. You never know. :wink:

3 Likes

Military = war = conflict ≠ conflict free = Fairphone

7 Likes

Military can also be used to avoid or marginalize war/conflict.

Yes and the only thing stopping a bad man with a gun is a good man with a gun.

3 Likes

Which is why I argued “can also be used”.

During the assimilation phase, the new rulers integrate a part of the conquered culture into their own to keep everyone happy.

I think @paulakreuzer meant it ironically.

2 Likes

That was taken into account.

2 Likes

I couldn’t image it otherwise

I wish I had thought my last question through more thoroughly before I posed it. I should have stuck to this individual’s specific problem and how to solve that. Please forget my previous post as it serves no purpose here.

Honestly to say this is really bad advice.

I recommend to first contact Customer Support, so they can get you more information on what is defect and why the Core Module should be replaced.
It is indeed not clear from the statement from the repair center (honestly, I am a bit dissapointed about that), but through Customer Support you can get much more details. They are there to help you.

After that you can still decide to have it repaired or not.

3 Likes

Do you pay your taxes? Then you support the military.

And, depending on which military it is that could be a good or bad thing.

4 Likes