Fairphone: the nature of change in the context of business and climate change

Hi everyone,

Iā€™m leading a study about the Fairphone and the nature of change in the context of business and climate change at the Imperial College London.

Iā€™m very interested in information regarding specific examples of how fairphone is creating change in the industry (regarding behaviour change, industry change, finance changeā€¦). Also, it will be interesting to hear how fairphone itself has changed (their values and their way of approaching the problem) since its creation.

Since the community-centered profile of fairphone is one of its key features, I want to ask the community.

What do you think is the change that fairphone has created so far?
As a user, what is your opinion of the community-centered approach? How do you feel as a user?

Finally, for the admins, if you can provide me a contact, I would love to interview Bas and ask him his views.

Not an admin, but a community moderator, but here is the correct email address for research requests: research@fairphone.com :wink:

Thank you for the contact!
If you have any input as community moderator regarding the questions I propose it will also be very welcome :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fairphone has raised hope amongst people that the electronics sector is not destined to stay environmentally harmful and inhuman forever. They have also shown that a smartphone can be produced fair and easily repairable and still earn the people at Fairphone a living. In my opinion, however, they will only have achieved change with a global impact when the big smartphone producers (Apple, Samsung, etc.) adopt Fairphoneā€™s business model or lose marketshare to Fairphone.

1 Like

I agree that the impact that Fairphone can have in influencing the industry is definitely crucial.
Iā€™m wondering how is the best way to achieve that thought.
Current financial structure may jeopardise the company from growing faster, as well as sending the signal to the market that a ā€œnormal companyā€ can make profits from sustainable phones.
On the other hands, open fairphone to investors will be at least challengingā€¦
I wonder if the option of mixing or selling fairphone with a company that has the capacity to scale up is on the tableā€¦
And, since the community is key in this movement, what is their opinion about thisā€¦
Thank you for your answer Stefan :slight_smile:

You should have been at last yearā€™s EFCT. There the community discussed the scaling-up question with the Fairphone team themselves. Itā€™s save to say that both in the team and the community there are people who are pro investors and people who are against.

Have you found this blog post?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 180 days. New replies are no longer allowed.