Fairphone’s approach to root on the Fairphone 2

That seems to be true. From androidpolice.com:

The binaries contain all the drivers you need to make the Xperia Z5’s hardware work with Marshmallow.

Anyway, just because there is another manufacturer which also acts well doesn’t diminish the accomplishment by Fairphone: It is still far from common in the smartphone industry to release these binaries.

3 Likes

I have tried on my former xperia z3 compact, the camera and the modem werent working at all on the lollipop aosp rom, so , the phone was basically just a pocket console

Sorry for sounding bitter, but knowing Sony, it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s another bait-and-switch policy. They were also officially giving the ability to install Linux on some older Playstation, gained enough market share, then one day suddenly revoked that ability and locked people out of their Linux with an update. That said, I really hope their strategy has changed now, I really hope they’ll continue giving people the ability to compile their own AOSP. But I also remember telling the same to a friend when he was about to buy his Playstation, and he was thinking “things are different now”.

3 Likes

It was an apology for just one single person (me). For my person the case is closed…

Though everything essential has been said, I, too would like to emphasize that for me, the privacy tradeoff of an Android system without xposed/xprivacy is just too big to accept. Sensible usability of a smartphone does often mean I install an essential, halfway trustworthy app anyways, even if it has calendar AND internet permissions.
Clearly a bit of privacy is far from a nerd requirement! How many people install things like whatsapp and send their entire address book to the ether. Our data is worth a lot more than most people think and once you’ve uploaded it, it’s not yours anymore, heck, you’ve even compromised your friends’ privacy as well! Hence my unwillingness to use an unrooted phone for much at all.

I don’t really see why a responsible user who limits root access to 1 or 2 trusted apps will lose too much security. Please enlighten me on the dangers of this apporoach, honestly, I haven’t really gotten the point yet.

As to the legal restrictions - I understand how these can make things difficult, but if possible please separate between legal requirements and your own opinion. After all we’re here to change things, so we need to find the gaps :slight_smile:

When I receive my phone in two weeks time and there is no clear perspective of say one month of an FP osos or other safe rooting option, I will have a (to me) useless device and will be seriously tempted to make use of the return period. Please understand that there are time restrictions like a girlfriend’s dying phone that we’ve kept alive another half year - we can’t wait until the end of March (the rumorous 1st quarter of 2016).

I agree with many goals of this project and am willing to take some waiting and beta-testing frustration, but @keesj, paternalizing users is definitely the wrong way to go for such a project as this. I really, really hope it’s just the strain of responsibility that must be immense at the moment. Make rooting one of the priority tasks, if at all possible - please.

8 Likes

I wonder, if the GApps Installer could be included in the Fairphone Updater on a FP OSOS. Fairphone would not ship any rooted phone with GApps, but instead ship the installer, like with the FP1. Doing it this way would not be as error-prone as having GApps pre-installed, but possibly wouldn’t infringe any legal agreements. @anon90052001 How are the chances that there is a Google Installer included in a downloadable FP OSOS?

7 Likes

I just noticed the updater widget which only says ‘Install Google Apps’ on Stock Onion. Does that mean it could already be included in the OSOS? If that doesn’t make sense at all, feel free to delete this post :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I assume you run the pre-installed OS and have not compiled FP OSOS already? Can you attach a screenshot? What happens, if you press the widget?

1 Like

disappointing result: when you press it you simply get to The updater :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
(I’m using SmartLauncher, that’s why it might look so weird.)

1 Like

How about, in the FP OSOS the updater could have an installer for:

• F-Droid
  • Blank Store
  • openGAPPS
  • GAPPS
9 Likes

I installed OpenGapps to my old samsung just to see what I get and it’s pretty satisfying… especially the fact that you can choose the package you want …

2 Likes

Did you use the Aroma version? If so: Can you only choose witch Apps are installed an which not or is the same possible for services?

Yes and it is important ! Fairphone needs to understand how important it is because this is the condition of its survival.

1° The “Fair” part of the Fairphone was the reason why I agried the price of the FP2, which is a little higher as expected for its technical capabilities.
2° But the “Open” part of the FP2 was the only one reason why I decided to buy it.

At this time, the OS is not really open, as it is needed to include “binaries” (even one only binary line of code cancels the “open” status). What are doing these binaries ???

At this time too, I’m not the Captain onboard as I don’t know when I’ll be able to root my phone : less than 14 days after receivning it ? If not, do I resend it to you without switching it on ?

This is MY phone, not Google’s phone ! Unfortunately, I have to suffer the Android OS but this is not my own choice. I don’t need Gapps. I don’t want Gapps. And it is because you said me that this could be changed that I bought it. Give us ROOT, give us Ubuntu, give us Sailfish NOW !

In the meantime, my daughter who quickly needs a new phone too, will buy a BQ 4.5 as it is the only solution today. Sorry but it is the consequence of your choices.

Regards
Openit4us

2 Likes

Hi @anon90052001!
Thanks for clarification, and thanks to the FP team for the support and effort I enjoyed concerning my FP1.
However:

While I perfectly understand FPs decision, I really hope option 2. will be available soon. Untill then, I won’t even bother unboxing the FP2.

I’m sympathetic to people ‘feeling sick’ about the very idea of sending it back!

Still yours :wink:,
mofi

1 Like

You guys know you could always use KingRoot or some other app to root your phones, right? It has been known to work and the process is not all thatcomplicated. Other options will arrive rather soon as well.
And as far as Fairphone is concerned: just give them some time.
They will give us 2 versions of Android, one with Gapps and without root (mainstream version) and one with root and without Gapps (but probably still installable). And those 2 versions will be fully supported and will probably cover the wishes of 95% of the userbase. The remaining 5% will have to either start playing around themselves or wait a little longer until clear tutorials become available.
Reading through tis threat, I can see there are a lot of people who are insecure about what exactely is going to happen and if their wishes will be fulfilled, which I can understand. But there are also some people who are in my opinion clearly overstepping a border in the way they are voicig their concerns. I’m still very very new to this Forum, but I would really like this to be a place where people talk to each other nicely and don’t throw their verbal feces into the devs’ faces. Remember that they are the good guys! They made possible an idea that each of us can identifies with. And they are on our side! They might just not always have the options to offer all the solutions the community desires. And they also won’t be as fast as Samsung or Apple, employing thousands of developers and selling millions of phones. Just give them some credit for what they have achieved and be a bit more patient. I’m sure solutions will arive…
regards,

Moritz

11 Likes

I’m sorry if I sound stupid but give me an exemple of “services”… I’m not sure what you mean…

Google Play Service, Google Location Service, …

I won’t bet on it but I think yes…

For what I’ve seen, there are various opinions about rooting the phone with Kingroot, and the user experience on this is not very comforting.

As you said it yourself on the related topic :

This convinces me that as of now, neither SuperSU, nor KingRoot are goot rooting solutions for the FP2.

I’ll use the FP2 without root for now, waiting for a way to root my phone (running the pre-installed OS, for now), should it be official, or unofficial (and even if I have to root it again after updates, I’ll go with that).

4 Likes

Exactely! I think they are not good. Others might decide otherwise. You want a rooted device, I want a rooted device. You will wait for a better alternative. I will do the same. Point remains: Another, better alternative will be there. Latest, when FP-osos comes out. Just be a little patient and don’t forget how much was achieved already…

3 Likes