Fairphone’s approach to root on the Fairphone 2

So maybe that fairphone can offer a solution in order to migrate data from last phone to new… At least (see topic about helium sorry don’t know how to link it)

1 Like

I’m afraid, I’m deeply disappointed as well.

I wanted to own a phone without the need of all that grey rooting procedure’s which are published for non-fairphones .
I don’t need to be fastened on the baby seat.

To be honest, having made that clear and transparent already at the beginning of the crowd-funding campaign would have discouregd me from participating.

Unfortunately it is too late.

3 Likes

Too late for what? For every solution there is a problem;)

1 Like

More communication would have been good, but these are google’s rules. “Rooting” the phone is still possible and as I understand it, the images will be provided.

I think this all has more to do with google and the companies they work with. If FP wants to sell a phone, they have to use google. Google wants to sell stuff too, so they have to dictate on how a phone can be used so that people that want to make money with apps/payments trust google in return.

And credit card companies like fake security, just look at the history of the magnetic stripes … so: Fake security for all so the consumers will buy more everywhere all the time … the gain made by this and all the data collected easily covers the losses. It’s called a businesses model. Apple has a similar one.

The only way out of this is a different SoC with different software. Hard to find these days. And if you want to sell a phone to lot of people (the ‘critical mass’ FP needs) you have to make a deal with google or Apple for the closed garden “app-store” ;(

There would be another way, but this is the more consumer friendly one. Not sure if one always have to be consumer friendly in fair projects, but this was the decision. I think it works for the majority that just wants a phone to feel better but still want to use the same “apps” as before …

7 Likes

Just installed cyanogen mod sur mon ancien samsung avec OpenGapps. Si l’OS prévu de fairphone permet un même type d’utilisation cela sera déjà bien.

Néanmoins, je trouve dommage que l’on pourra pas installer cyanogenmod sur le FP2. C’est fou comment cela fonctionne bien :wink:

How to do it with Helium

1 Like

I mean, I don’t want FP2 without Root-Acess and Gapps preinstalled and fumbling around on my own.
As far as I understand this thread the alternative solution (Open OS) is complicated to apply, instable and actually not ready by now.
So, “too late” means “Too late for not buying FP2” .
Hopefully, there is enough demand so fairphone can send money back.

1 Like

IMHO Fairphone has taken the responsible and correct path. “Normal” users expect Google Apps and “normal” users don’t need root (they don’t even know what that is). Of course, as everything, the rootable ROM could be arrive sooner and faster and with more sparkle: It could be already available. However, people, @keesj has already said they are working on it. Please be lenient and show some patience.

That’s wrong: Up to now (looking at history farther away, i.e. including FP1) the AOSP version has it’s dedicated place in the official Fairphone Updater. I don’t know whether Fairphone plans to include the rooted version in the updater for FP2 (I can see some valid reasons against it), but so far no one has said anything about it. So, judging from history, I guess that they will include it again.

The history you talk about (in which Fairphone “only” provides source code) is but a few weeks old and is probably heavily influenced by the fact that they are just too busy to provide the ROM atm.

I suggest to all people: Be a little bit more patient. You probably remember the days of waiting for source code and updates for FP1 (I’m still in that phase): We are already way ahead of that because we know it is possible to create the builds which we need. That is not the case for FP1. So, consider yourself lucky and look at the bright side :sunny:

All binaries are at code.fairphone.com already. I don’t see a reason why the AOSP ROM wouldn’t include them.

I’m sorry to hear that. But if installing a different OS is too hard for you, taking care of a rooted phone might also be over your head. And, again, be patient. We don’t know yet whether it will be included in the updater. If so, it might be installable with the push of a button.

Have you read the FP-OSOS project site which is linked in the OP? There it says:

To set the example, we will soon release a build of the open source code
for you to install. We will do so regularly to incorporate updates and
security fixes.

Fairphone will provide security updates. You don’t need to patch anything yourself. Neither do you need to build anything yourself.

Hell no. People, I get frustrated reading this thread. No one seems to read the OP and the linked document where it clearly says that Fairphone will provide builds and updates regularly.

… I have to stop reading this thread now because it is so frustrating to see all of you complaining although you are in a really luxurious situation and don’t realize it because you don’t read properly. Please excuse if I wrote duplicate stuff but I can’t go through the entire thread atm :-/

15 Likes

Folks.

I absolutely have to agree to jftr. If you were reading carefully enough, then you would have read that some of us here in the forum have already been able to root the phone. Yes, the commercial version with Gapps in it. So, there is at least one way to do it. We just can’t freely distribute the files needed yet, as they might include copyright protected material. Once we have e.g. a TWRP version running on the Fairphone 2, it will be very easy to root it, but just not yet.

The Fairphone2 would be the very very very first Android phone I have ever ever heard of, that was not able to be rooted after some time on the market.

So, please folks, calm down and relax. Fairphone has made a mistake in the information flow. They agreed and apologised. They can’t do very much more for now.

So, please all, enjoy your weekend and wait for a possibility to root it. I can’t promise anything, but again, it would very very very much surprise me if a solution doesn’t come within a short time. But it won’t come from Fairphone, for well explained reasons.

I am just a Fairphone costumer, too. But I would really really appreciate, if we end this fruitless discussion here.

18 Likes

Having managed to migrate my data from one phone to another (which was the most important part for me) I feel quite better… :sweat_smile: and calming down… and realizing that we put too much importance in a phone…!!!

So yeah, let’s just remember that this one is fair one…with or without root!

6 Likes

@evidemment: So, will you keep your FP2 or will you return it?

Definitely keeping it :blush:. The idea of sending it back made me kind of sick…

2 Likes

“Having managed to migrate my data from one phone to another”

Would you share how you made it? From FP1?
Is it worth to start a separate (wiki) thread about different possibilities to migrate data from FP1 to FP2 without Root (TitBack)?

I did share it…:blush:

4 Likes

Erm, how to you make that assumption? You obviously found quite easy way to root that phone unofficialy, and I assume there will be ways to root the Fairphone 2 OS, only not provided by FP themselves. No difference to the Samsung.

No difference: when buying a fair product, we want this difference right?

Fairphone even made a own webpage for the Open Source version, provides Sources and all Binaries and will even provide a full system image complied from the same sources everybody could use to build her own OS. That is as open as it gets in Android world.

One more time, the point to being fair isn’t to be more open than the other?

Same as above, install Fairphone Open OS and GApps.

So to arrive the same thing we could:
root the fairphone just after receiving (officially impossible) and that’s it,
or:

1. install the fairphone open os
  2. root
  3. install Google apps
    (4) do it again at each update OTA?)

Way more complicated to do the same thing…

1 Like

That thread exists:

https://forum.fairphone.com/t/backup-solutions-without-root-access/11996?u=paulakreuzer

1 Like

Not necessarily. For me, fair is about mining, manufacturing and environmental aspects (recycling and repair). In that order. Root or not for is not related to the fairness. And I think I am not the only one who has this opinion.

4 Likes

Well. For you! Fine!

For me Fairness includes Software and includes root. - I think, I will cancel my order. Wrote to Customer Support already.

2 Likes

If you read carefully, it’s still possible. It just not the default for the normal customer. I think there is some room in the middle … the FP2 is not 100% fair or 100% free software, but it’s better in those regards (at least that is what I hope) than most other companies. I don’t know much about phone market works, I still hope to learn more about it.

It’s a complex system with hard financial interests and lot of NDAs/contracts (OEMs, google, app sellers), I think the FP project just does not have a lot of freedom to “maneuver” more fairness to begin with.

7 Likes

I read every single line of this thread…
But tell me: Where is the difference between Samsung and Fairphone? Of cource are there ways to root nearly every phone. But if Fairphone starts talking about root, as if it is the worst thing to do. - I feel not respected. I know, what I do. I did it with many phones. We all know how Samsung and others handle people like me. I thought, Fairphone wants me to open things. And Fairphone helps to open things. I am ending up, seeing Fairphone just as good Start. But in the meantime they adopted Samsungs view and behaviour.

No problem, with a non-rooted device in the beginning. But please supply me with SuperSU.zip signed for Stock-Recovery. Or provide a working TWRP Recovery. And then tell me, that the Warranty is not voided by just rooting.

2 Likes