Fairphone’s approach to root on the Fairphone 2

That’s not what most people mean when they say “bricked” though :slight_smile:

Soft bricked devices[2]
are generally those devices which show some signs of life. A soft
bricked device usually boots unsuccessfully and generally gets stuck on
boot logo, or reboots endlessly, or, while in operation, suddenly shows a
“screen of death”.
[…]
A device can recover from a soft bricked state by simply clearing all the internal memory and flashing the firmware.

Quoted from Wikipedia

1 Like

That’s a soft brick then :slight_smile: Most people understand this though: “In the common usage of the term, “bricking” suggests that the damage is so serious as to have rendered the device permanently unusable.”.

The reason I mentioned this is that some people might hear “a phone has been bricked by a rooting attempt” and will not try it because they think it will destroy their phone. I’ve never heard of a case where an android flashing attempt has permanently bricked a phone though.

I wouldn’t consider this bricking, but breaking the phone. Not even a hard-brick is neccessarily permanent.

Also I never said I bricked my phone rooting, that’s what I was trying to clear up. I bricked the phone by using root for something that simply shouldn’t be done.

But usually requires hardware diagnostics ports like JTAG or SPI to fix :slight_smile:

No worries!

I assume you want a Google phone and root from the company? I guess those times are over, if I understood @keesj correctly.

No :slight_smile: I personnaly find this option not interesting. I’m happy with what is announced and I’m asking for a timeline of it, as a month passed since the announce with no further info, while the matter is urgent now phones arrives. It will be a pain to wipe the phone memory to get use of the FairphoneOSOS that emerged from the poll.

I just want to use reliable, without-ads, libre softwares. And as you spotted I’m on my way for this (I would like to write despite Fairphone stock ROM and lack of alternative currently, bu to be true, I’m on my way thanks to this forum which is already something great, I contribute to not only to growl).

I will get the phone rooted, and get rid of Gapps (ok @paulakreuzer I’ll have to be carefull) and even of the iFixit bloatware (I mean : no use of it without internet, and no use of it without an account = bloatware).

So, as the FP1 was, I thought I found an ally with FP2, but no. After half a thousand € purchase I still have to become an Android expert on my own to get control over my machine.

Here we are in the “home DVD-player” configuration. This machine you bought it, brought back home, it’s yours by law… but it won’t allow you to skip advertisments before showing you the DVDs you also bought to play with. You don’t really control the machine, but to be true it controls you, or, for the extend, what you can see.

A phone became your inner-most personnal digital assistant. Fairphone even tells me at each new install if the software is threatening my private life (thanks for this !). So I won’t handle over (to a stock-driver megacorp) the control of half my digital private life. I will choose which softwares I install and which I remove, or I’ll choose another phone.

And I don’t think that putting lambda users in a straitjacket is an good model, even with the idea of protecting from the rest of the world, in fact including them in.

Regarding DVDs… it became illegal to read DVDs with a free software player in France since HADOPI law (~2009). I’m not nitpicking small issues unfortunately :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just in case, I guess it a good idea to continue discussing here:

2 Likes

^^ what he said!