Fairphone owners in the USA (FP2 FP3 FP4 FP5)

Yes I’m waiting :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would not count for this statement, as they would never ever tell you about any plans and those could have been changed as well, nor do we know who at Fairphone wrote/stated this.

Overall why speculating further, if possible to wait just wait a few weeks, that’s all my initial comment was about.

its called clove

Clove in the UK .
They do ship worldwide and do charge less than Vireo in Germany.
Clove even offers the possibility to show prices in CAD and other currencies.
And they have a page with “International Customers FAQ ”.

3 Likes

Blockquote
amoun
Hi.
The Fairphone only allows data on one sim card at any time so I wonder! do you adjust settings to switch which sim slot can use data?

Yeah, I’d seen somewhere that folks had trouble using sim slot 2 for data, so I’ve mainly tried to use T-Mobile data with my T-Mobile sim in slot 1 (and with data turned off for slot 2).

@strongthany @nell @josephmaher or others using T-Mobile’s network, would you be willing to share the APN settings you’re using on your FP3? (I assume APN settings are the same whether you’re a T-Mobile subscriber or you use something like Ultramobile?)

1 Like

I have the Ultramobile SIM in slot 2 - seems to work fine. The apn seettings are available here:

https://www.ultramobile.com/data-settings/

I’ve just cut and pasted them below…

Name: Ultra
APN: wholesale
Proxy:
Port:
Username:
Password:
Server:
MMSC: http://wholesale.mmsmvno.com/mms/wapenc
MMS Proxy:
MMS Port: 8080
MCC: 310
MNC: 260
Authentication Type:
APN Type: default,supl,mms
APN Protocol: IPv4 / IPv6
APN Roaming Protocol: IPv4 / IPv6

3 Likes

This is dumb, but I figured it out. There are two places in the menu to switch which sim is used for data:

One is under Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile network, where there is a toggle button for ‘Mobile data’ for each sim.
The other is under Settings > Network & Internet > SIM cards, where it asks for ‘Preferred SIM for…Cellular data, Calls, SMS messages’.
Both places need to have the same sim card selected for data to work on that sim card.

Maybe this will help some other Luddite out there who’s confused about how to turn their data on. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Thanks to all who provided advice or info on this! Huge relief to be able to keep using my FP3 even after AT&T turns off their 3G network.

5 Likes

I have been using the fairphone for 1.5 years in NYC and Maryland areas, over an AT&T reseller, and the reception has been great. Over the last two months, I have noticed some issues, but my phone did not have LTE enabled. Since enabling LTE, the reception has been fine, except for some issues in Maryland. I got an email from my AT&T reseller telling me that my phone uses 3g now (hspa), and that it will not be able to connect in a while.

I am going to try switching to TMobile soon and see if that works, and then drop my at&t reseller.

I would be up for using any carrier, as long as it had the best reception with fairphone 3 bands.

2 Likes

Hi, all,
Sorry. I only now saw this post.
Then I had to look up what an APN is. Hope this is the info you want:
[BYOD T-Mobile data & APN settings | T-Mobile Support]

:slight_smile:

1 Like

And it looks like it’s using LTE too! That is very encouraging!

Though, AlbertJP made comment about some carriers marketing HSPA+ as 4G. I’m not too familiar with the those apps, so I don’t know if they’re reporting the type of network your phone is using, the type it’s capable of using, or what the network is reporting as its type. Would you mind popping into ‘About Phone’ → ‘Mobile data network type’ and posting a screenshot? It’s not that I don’t believe you, it’s just that I want to be sure before I have a Fairphone imported. Though, at this rate, I might as well wait a couple weeks for the Fairphone 4.

That app doesn’t use any ‘3G’ or ‘4G’ names but names the actual technology (LTE), so it should be fine.

In any case, a newer phone model might support more bands, and that could make your phone work for a longer time in the US. T-Mobile can after all decide to refarm a band to 5G (although it appears technically possible to share spectrum between 4G and 5G phones,) leaving FP3 users with the same problems FP2 users are currently facing.

Well if it does get to that point I suppose I’ll have to start looking for other carriers, or worse a new phone. But we’ll see how this goes for now.

1 Like

Oh, okay. Well, at least there’s a good chance that Fairphone 4 will work well on T-Mobile.

2 Likes

Just seen the FP4 specs…

The entire T-Mobile frequency range seems to be supported on 2/3/4/5G, except for some high frequency (3.5GHz and above) bands. Crucial here is the support for band 12 (700Mhz 4G) and 71 (600MHz 4G/5G) giving you access to low-frequency bands in rural areas.

4 Likes

Does anyone have any insight into whether FP4 would work in US on the AT&T network? Would love to be able to use it in the US. Thanks!

Hi @chron moved your Post here to discuss further

1 Like

More than likely given it’s frequency range ::

What are the AT&T network’s frequencies?

I’m not sure if these bands are EU or International ??

Over the last month, my AT&T service kept degrading. Switching to TMobile worked for me.

2 Likes

I just received my FP4 yesterday, I’m in Manhattan. Incoming and outgoing calls and texts work fine on AT&T.
I originally ordered the FP4 from Clove in the UK, but they were on order from Fairphone for $613 US including shipping (don’t know if there would be import/customs duties on top of that.) I ended up cancelling the Clove order and ordering from Kickmobiles on Ebay in the UK for $845 including shipping & taxes - no additional charges. It was delivered in 2 days by FedEx. Amazing.

4 Likes

what model did you ordered?
$845 is a proudly price… :open_mouth:

I ordered the grey 6GB/128GB model. I paid a lot, but wasn’t sure if Clove was going to get it. Kickmobiles had it in stock and promised delivery within 3 days.

1 Like