Fairphone owners in the USA (FP2 FP3 FP4 FP5)

Hi! I’m going to the US for some months in April and I am looking for a phone contract for my fp3. After all you wrote: what company should I take?
Thanks!

When I bought my fp3, I had it shipped to a UK forwarding service (https://www.forward2me.com/) and then shipped to USA through the forwarding. It worked well.

2 Likes

I have been waiting for six years, since the Fairphone 1, for these phones to work in the USA. I have gathered some good info on these forums but it still sounds like the SIM card with T Mobile would only work for one month because of the FCC issue. Then I would be stuck with only using Bluetooth or WiFi for connection, Is this correct? T Mobile wasn’t able to help beyond this and I am interested in the Fairphone 4. Any suggestions would be helpful. I’m currently in Oregon state. Thanks

Hi Jessica, welcome to the Community Forum. :slight_smile: I moved your post here because I think existing users are probably the best source of information regarding whether the FP4 works or not in the USA. Let’s hope your post triggers fresh feedback.

1 Like

Thank you, I appreciate it. Looks like Clove will be a good way to buy it but I need to make sure it will work with T Mobile LTE in my area. T Mobile customer care is bewildered :flushed:.
Jess

1 Like

Hey everyone! I’m interested in getting a Fairphone, but I’m worried about service area issues and such with my current provider, AT&T. From what I’ve read, FP won’t work with most bands here, and I’m wondering if this is carrier-specific or simply based on the network frequency - I’m considering using TextNow for my phone service moving forward, which operates on T-Mobile’s network. Would my service in the US likely be good/reliable running an MVNO like Textnow on a Fairphone 4?

This solution seems attractive, since wifi-calling seems to be a given with TextNow as well, but I’m unsure if the non-main carrier option will help me in terms of regular text service. Thanks in advance for your help/ideas!

(Failing this, I might settle for a Teracube 2e with TextNow, but fingers crossed)

Hello, I moved your post here as people have been discussing network advice for the Fairphone in this topic before.

2 Likes

I’ve been very lightly testing the FP4 on AT&T in NYC & Fort Lauderdale. Calls & texts have worked ok in my apartments, I haven’t taken it out and done any real testing that way.
I have been able to browse the web while on a call with wifi turned off.
AT&T shut down their 3G network yesterday, but I can still make calls while browsing the web w/o wifi.
I originally activated the FP4 with the SIM from my Samsung Galaxy S10 on the same plan.
I called them from the FP4 just now, both phones show as using the same Galaxy S10 IMEI on their system.
When they tried to update the FP4 line with its own IMEI, they got an error.
So, for now it is working on AT&T. I’ll keep testing it and see if they eventually cut it off.

Sorry to hear about T-Mobile not working, that was going to be my next step if AT&T cuts it off.

5 Likes

A new concern for me about the Fairphone 4 in the USA is software updates for Android (until a non-Google OS is available that can work as a daily driver) .

I am on Android 11, with the last security update from December 5, 2021.
Last successful check for update was January 30th.

When I check for updates it shows, “Can’t check for update. Updates are temporarily unavailable. Try again later”
This has been going on since January.

If Android security and version updates (11 to 12, etc.) are up to the mobile carrier then I am screwed. AT&T and T-Mobile do not officially support the Fairphone, let alone offer their own updates. I am new to the convoluted workings of mobile carriers and what phone manufacturers have to do to keep their phones working.

As I have mentioned in previous posts here, my FP4 is working on AT&T’s network. But updates are going to be crucial. Will I not be able to get updates because of my mobile network?
Thanks.

I think you actually have the most recent update at least security patch related

I also think your can always check for updates without a SIM inserted.

How do you define "

e/OS is available already and iode OS is in beta but seem to run stable

2 Likes

Yvmuell,

Thank you very much for all of the info. I will keep checking that I am current with the update link you sent.
I have been using computers for 40 years, but I am new to rooting, flashing, etc. of smartphones (and Linux in general). I don’t want to brick it, or not feel confident to go back to the original OS. I am following the alternative OSes but waiting for more stability.
Thanks again!

3 Likes

Hi, folks; I did a quick search here and didn’t quite find my question. Sorry if this is a repeat.

I am waiting for my current smartphone to reach the end-of-life date so that I feel justified in getting something I like better, and almost everything I read about FairPhone sounds good. Unfortunately, since shipping is limited to Europe, I would have to buy through a third party.

I have found at least one or two vendors, and it sounds like the phone should be compatible with my network here, but this is relatively new territory for me. Does anyone have any suggestions or warnings?

I realize that one of the great features of this phone is the modular design, and being able to replace individual pieces at home. Obviously, that would mean getting things shipped over here again. Am I overlooking anything else, though?

Thanks for any info or suggestions.

Welcome to the Community :slight_smile: I moved your post here because you might find some information relevant for you here. And there’s also 🏒 Canadian Fairphoners! 🇨🇦

3 Likes

I am working in the USA on the West coast. I have a Fairphone 4 as my only phone and can report it works just fine with a T-Mobile nano-SIM on their cheapest budget pay-as-go plan ($15/month). I get 4G everywhere I have been with no issues at all. WiFi performance is also of course solid, and I am very happy.

If you’re in the States I am happy to say the Fairphone 4 has proved to be a fully viable option for me.

8 Likes

Thanks for your field report! I hope it’s ok that I’ve moved it here where I think it belongs best.

5 Likes

Can update that as I was driving around yesterday, I did get a 5G signal as reported on the FP4’s notification icon. Unfortunately - as I was driving - I couldn’t take a screenshot or check out the performance, but it was nice to see evidence of 5G operating.

5 Likes

I tried to make a call on the FP4 today, and nothing happened. Can’t call in to it either. It’s been working great on AT&T. Texting in & out works, as mobile data also seems to work.
I guess I have to try T-Mobile now.

Honestly, the reason I bought an FP4 (and use it daily here in the USA) is that I wanted a phone that a) I could swap the battery out myself at any time and b) that got more than just 2 years of Android update support.

The FP4 has satisified me on both counts. FWIW, I purchased mine online and had friends in Europe bring it over.

6 Likes

I got a $15/month prepaid plan with T-Mobile and calls, texts & mobile data all work. T-Mobile’s 3G network won’t be completely shut down until July I believe, but hopefully it will keep working after that.

1 Like

I realized recently that I had overlooked something a little obvious, so I thought I’d mention it here. FairPhone doesn’t ship to the US, but other vendors do. I’ve found at least one who isn’t listed on the FP site as a preferred partner that ships globally; I’m guessing that at least a few of the ones here do, but I haven’t gone through them yet.

1 Like