Fairphone owners in the USA (FP2 FP3 FP4 FP5)

Oh that would be great! I recently started poking Mint mobile about it, but they were unfortunately still not too helpful even if the FP4 shows as fully compatible on their website.
I also contacted T-Mobile again, and they now stated that the FP4 is fully supported while they earlier said it was not.

So my Mint plan still runs for 2 months. A month from now I might poke them again and also talk with T-Mobile to see if I can get a SIM tested in my FP4.

1 Like

Having registered an FCC ID doesn’t make Fairphone support anything in the US as of now.
The Fairphone 3 got one, too, in early 2020 … https://fccid.io/2AUWUFAIRPHONE3

It’s up to T-Mobile then.

I spent ages on chat to Mint Mobile. Even though the T-Mobile page says the FP4 is compatible they told me that their compatibility tool says the phone is incompatible and locked! (it isn’t locked).

We tried eSIM to see if that would work, but it didn’t, and now my physical SIM is disabled and I can’t use it in my old phone that does work on Mint! :upside_down_face:

I’m going to try the law of social media, that it’s the squeeky wheel that greased! https://mobile.twitter.com/madb1lly/status/1570006507751718912

In case anybody’s still interested in how the FP2 performs in the USA, I took it with me to Denver. I was not expecting to get any connectivity based on previous posts in this thread, but it immediately connected to T-Mobile 2G (roaming), and I am able to receive SMS.

I didn’t try calling or internet; I did receive a call, but rejected it to avoid roaming fees.

Edit: my front camera stopped working, so now I’m looking for a screwdriver in the US to take the phone apart :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Hi everyone,
@AlbertJP useful to know, but unfortunately isn’t 2G also due to be phased out soon in the USA?

Here’s the surprisingly unhelpful (and patronising) reply I got from Fairphone support:

My name is J* from the support team. I’ll be your case manager, nice to e-meet you :slight_smile:
Thank you for supporting Fairphone and for reaching out.

Being an Amsterdam-based organization we currently only sell and ship to Europe. For the foreseeable future, we will continue to focus our efforts on this region.

Please note that for now, we won’t be able to offer you assistance with network connection issues when you are not in Europe. Repairs and replacements are also not supported outside of the listed countries.

Again, thank you so much for your interest and support, we really appreciate it, as it shows we are in the right direction!

If you need anything else, please let me know, I will be happy to help you again.

Have a lovely day and take care!

J*

Cheers? :slight_smile:

While I can understand your disappointment, I fail to see the surprising nature of the content as well as the patronising.

6 Likes

I’m surprised that they’re not more helpful and not more specific about what the problem is.

Going off topic, this is patronising:

Again, thank you so much for your interest and support, we really appreciate it, as it shows we are in the right direction!

Whether or not anyone agrees with me is definitely off topic.

1 Like

The problem is, that the FP4 isn’t supported in your region. Fairphone maintains a relationship with :eu: carriers to make sure the phone works where it’s supposed to, and even then there are issues sometimes (looking at you Vodafone :eyes:).

I don’t think the message is meant patronizing, somebody wrote a template and that’s what you get :man_shrugging:
But you have to understand that support is totally overwhelmed as it is. You are using your phone outside the supported region, that’s just not a support issue. I get your frustration, but what did you expect?

6 Likes

Yes, but no date has been set yet.

We’ve also shared that we plan to retire T-Mobile’s older GSM 2G network as well, but no date has been set. We will update this page with any additional information in the future.

Source: https://www.t-mobile.com/support/coverage/t-mobile-network-evolution

Hi all,

I went round the major network stores to see if they would help me work out if the FP4 would work properly on their network:

• AT&T: had a SIM we could check with, it registered, would say Wifi calling was provisioned in the phone info screen, but couldn’t actually make a call
  • T-Mobile: wouldn’t let me check a SIM without signing up for a plan!
  • Verizon: Did have a SIM I could use but Wifi Calling didn’t get provisioned

I honestly didn’t find this test very satisfactory, since all the networks really need the phone to be registered with them and for the customer to enable wifi calling in their account settings, so as I didn’t know if those two things were done I don’t know if the tests were valid.

Next I’m going to ask friends or co-workers if they’ve got Wifi calling working on their phones and if so ask if I can quickly check their SIM in my phone.

Cheers :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hi madbilly,

You mention WiFi calling with AT&T in your post. With that, do you mean VoLTE was provisioned (i.e. 4G calling option available and enabled) and working fine, but only the additional WiFi calling feature didn’t work?

Hi @lriesebos,
I don’t think VoLTE was provisioned with AT&T.
Cheers :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve been waiting since fp2 released for a US release and still found nothing. Is it possible to use fp4 with US Cellular? I don’t wanna waste my money on something that wouldn’t work.

It depends on which carrier you go with – read up in this thread a bit and/or search the forums for the carrier you want to use, or find the most compatible carrier and switch to them.

Generally, though, it will work. It’ll just won’t be possible to use some connectivity functionality like WiFi calling, 5G, etc. depending on where you are and who you pay for service.

2 Likes

Sadly I wouldn’t be able to switch carriers because of me and my parents being on the same plan. I did notice that about 3 5g bands and all 4g bands on the fairphone work with us cellular, I’ll go look for any user experiences/stories with the carrier then. Thanks!

If you’re looking for a trouble-free phone in the US, then Fairphone is probably not for you, unfortunately. While basic functionality will work, it is not officially supported or sold in North America. So unless you know exactly what you’re doing, I’m afraid that you’ll be better off with another choice. The first step is certainly to read this and related threads to know what you’re getting into.
Depending on what attracts you to Fairphone, there might be other options. If your goal is sustainability, then you could go for a refurbished model, for example.

3 Likes

Hi,

I have a stock FP4 that I bought from Fairphone in Europe. I have used it successfully in Europe (Netherlands, Spain), Great Britain, the USA, Fiji and Australia. In the USA I have a T-Mobile ‘pay-as-you-go’ account - the $15-a-month one others here have referred to. I get 5G and everything (phone calls, SMS, data) works fine.

5 Likes

For those interested in a Fairphone 4, Murena is looking for “volunteer testers in the US on AT&T or Verizon, it can also be Mvno from these carriers”. Note the phone will and must run /e/OS.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, I won’t be signing up for another discourse server just to add a reply to that thread. But I’d be interested if T-Mobile was a candidate.