Fairphone owners in the USA (FP2 FP3 FP4 FP5)

My FP5 is working just fine in Seattle. As I am disabled, I was on an income-qualified plan that was basically Tracfone, and they gave me the finger over the new phone. Mint Mobile seems to be handling it just fine, though.
Absolutely stock OS.

I assumed this was an issue with my own network, but I did have some trouble while I still had Wi-Fi calling enabled; at first I assumed this was a problem with the new phone or the new plan, and thought I was going to have a bigger problem to deal with. Finally killed that feature, though, and everything else seems to be working really well.

I think I’ve said this already somewhere, but the Honest Mobile site gave me a big smile and a thumbs-up as I pre-ordered that phone, and then they tried to send the order to FairPhone for them to ship it here. That was a couple weeks of hassle before I got them to just cancel the order. Clove got one here in just a couple days.

Hi again,

I have also been continuing to battle ATT about the WiFi calling issue. ATT has just started telling me that they cant guarantee full service to BYOD situations, even if the device is on their “confirmed compatible” list (https://www.att.com/scmsassets/support/wireless/devices-working-on-att-network.pdf). I still have a compatible BYOD phone with the same issue. They have resolved to telling me I should just buy an ATT phone!! This is, as you have pointed out 100% a ATT problem and NOT a Fairphone problem.

I did not know that I could complain to the FCC though. I will try contacting them also to help increase the pressure on ATT. I know I should just leave ATT, but the reality is I won’t because it’s a family plan than my family doesn’t want to leave. Womp.

Hi there,

have you tried this:

settings → network and internet → select your att account → Switch on “4G Calling” - “use 4G services to improve voice calls.”

I had the same issue (stock OS too) until I did this.

No one has replied since 2015?!?!?

Frustrating! I really want a FairPhone!!!

Welcome to the Fairphone community!

The last reply was yesterday (top right corner of the last post)

3 Likes
2 Likes

Really want a Fairphone 5

Wondering about murena fairphone 5 Malwarebytes and 1Password compatibility

Then get one from a reseller…

You could ask over here whether anybody can say something about the current state of things with those …

Unfortunately, “4G Calling” does not cause WiFi calling to work on Fairphone 5 using Consumer Cellular/ATT @FlinFlanFinFan

No, it does not :frowning:

It will only get their basic ATT service working on stock OS, as they said they only see ATT working with e/OS/

I did get it working, but not sure to what extent yet. I took a sim from another ATT spare phone I had, and it did work. I did get a message that my phone was not supported, but I was able to txt and make a call.

I am curious if anyone has had luck with an eSim. I would like to have two services on the device, as I did with my iPhone.

Yes, I had an eSim and it worked to the same level in the Fairphone as a physical sim. Text, call, data were fine. No WiFi calling.

@FlinFlanFinFan I’m also on a family plan and I’m reluctant to leave Consumer Cellular, with ATT service.
FCC doesn’t seem to do anything other than facilitate communication between me, Consumer Cellular, and ATT.
They have been silent lately, and have suggested that I communicate directly with my provider.
Filing a formal complaint is over $500, plus a lawyer is advised.
I still can’t tell whether ATT should be required to provide WiFi calling, and how I could require them to do so.

I would assume that any requirements for things like WiFi calling would have to be spelled out in whatever contract or fine print is associated with your plan. The provider I switched from just a few months ago didn’t even pretend to offer that feature, and it has been more trouble than it was worth on my new one.

As you’re talking about things like using the FCC as leverage against your provider, I assume you have already been thorough about trying to get a useful response from Consumer Cellular or AT&T directly.
I’ll skip saying anything about the formal complaint process, because I have no experience with it, but even having the WiFi calling option available does not mean that it would work as expected. For example, I had more than a few calls where I would be talking just fine for a while, and then all of a sudden something in the connection would change, and the people I was talking to could just barely hear that I was talking.
I have very cheap service, and it didn’t take me long to just switch WiFi calling off, because it wasn’t worth navigating their support system just for a very small chance of learning anything helpful. I would expect that even if you did successfully force your provider to give you that feature, it would still be hard to make sure you didn’t end up in a similar situation, with it active in name only, but not very well supported.

Maybe… just write Consumer Cellular a polite but thorough letter explaining your frustration, and hope that there are enough other customers doing the same thing to encourage them to fully support that feature?

It’s new:
https://murena.com/america/murena-mobile/

These seem expensive, compared to just getting a plan from T Mobile direct

Anyone ever figure out how to enter an address for Wi-Fi calling For FP5 in the USA. I’m getting tired of the error and without this setting turned on I’ve been getting dropped calls saying can’t connect to mobile network, network unavailable. That’s funny because I get 3-5 bars and it’s stable. I haven’t yet had an issue til last month without this setting enabled. I could use some help here thanks.

What happens if you turn off VPN?

Sorry for the late response. That seems to have solved the issue. I never understood why this takes two days to set up on FP4. I never had that as a problem. I would like to thank you for the suggestion that the VPN was the issue. This should work after a while with the VPN off. I just like to be safe online when shopping, Streaming content, and while gaming. Just remember that in the 90’s all we had to worry about was Viruses and malware when using the internet. A good anti-virus program took care of that. Now today we have add a VPN to browse safely on the web. And that causes issues with things once in a while. Funny how that happens when it works and where it doesn’t. The more you know right. :slight_smile: