Fairphone OS 18.03.1 release

Fairphone OS 18.03.1 is now available. You can get it through the updater.

Changes

• Adjust memory interface parameters for the updated memory package in phones produced in or after Q3 2017
  • Add support for revised battery module (FP2-BAT02)
  • Update Hiccup to version 1.1.0

Security fixes*

• Android Public Security Bulletin for March 2018 (partial)

Please note: Due to missing platform vendor specific patches, the Android security patch level will remain December 1, 2017. Protecting our users is our top priority, and as this month’s software update addresses some important security issues, we have decided to not wait with releasing this month’s update. We are working closely with our platform vendor to address the remaining issues as quickly as possible.

*Security fixes: CVE-2017-13248, CVE-2017-13249, CVE-2017-13250, CVE-2017-13251, CVE-2017-13255, CVE-2017-13256, CVE-2017-13257, CVE-2017-13258, CVE-2017-13259, CVE-2017-13260, CVE-2017-13261, CVE-2017-13262, CVE-2017-13264, CVE-2017-13254, CVE-2017-13266, CVE-2017-13268, CVE-2017-13269

9 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Revised Battery Module (FP2-BAT02)

The status LED does no longer work since I installed the update. At least, when the phone is on. When I turn it off, the LED does display the charging status.

edit: after waiting a while the LED suddenly did turn on, but once I pressed the power button it was off again and took about a minute to recover. Now it’s intermittently flashing yellow.

According to the CVE-list of 18.03.1, Spectre and Meltdown are not fixed yet (CVE-2017-5753, CVE-2017-5715, CVE-2017-5754 and CVE-2017-13218).
What’s your schedule on these issues?

PS - big thanks in any case for your regular OS upgrades and security releases!

updated from february 2018, so 2018-02-x level to this, works normally without any noticeable incidents so far.

Reading between the lines, I’d say the more relevant question is what’s Qualcomm’s schedule on those issues. But with contracts and business relationships being what they are, I’d be surprised if we hear more than:

4 Likes

For the first time ever, the update was not working. Instead, after reboot I save the famous open Android with a big exclamation mark and the word „Error“, nothing else. Then the phone rebooted and was still on version 18.02.

I started a second attempt later, to the same result. This time it seems it started installing, but then failed again. I am upgrading from Fairphone OS 18.02

That specific one was already fixed in FPOS 18.02.0. See the more complete history.

3 Likes

Afaik at that point you are able to get into recovery and have a look at the detailed reasons (when you see the Android robot: hold the power button, then press the volume up to display the recovery mode).

1 Like

After this last update it seems like everything on my external memory card has been erased (or can’t be read by phone?). Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks for the hint.

It says
Verifying current system…
System partition has unexpected contents
E:Error in /cache/fp_update_FP2-gms-18.03.1
Status 7
Installation aborted

I had Lineage OS installed before, but was is strange is that I completely reset the phone afterwards. Also, the special post 18.02 update installed without any issues.
I guess a manual of the 18.03 firmware would fix this. But I would like to find the cause. Evev tried a factory reset, which obviously did not help, since it leaves the system partition untouched.

2 Likes

Well, to me it sounds more as a corrupt downloaded image. You might try to download it at a different internet access? Or as you said - probably a manual install will fix it…

I thought so too, but I did a factory reset and then tried the update again, with the same result. The /cache should be deleted on a factory reset, right?

Update: I wanted to make sure that updates in general work and reinstalled 18.02 and then updated to 18.03.1.

2 Likes

Please, also make the update available as binary images through: https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/articles/213290023-Fairphone-OS-downloads-for-Fairphone-2

I have been using these images in the past to update my FP2 with great success and I would like to continue doing so :wink:

4 Likes

I´m having reboots with the extension since the update…

I am running LOS 14.1 on my FP2. When I did the update to version 2018-03-14 yesterday my phone couln’t read the SD card anymore and asked me to format the card. I did not, instead I rebooted the phone and after that it was all o.k. again, with all data at the SD card.

2 Likes

And now I’m back to the phone rebooting itself for no good reason several times a day…

You could revert back to the previous modem drivers to see whether the new modem drivers are the culprit:

Download modem-17.11.2.zip and put it somewhere simple to find on the phone, e.g. external SD card or Download folder …

https://io.pinterjann.is/public/misc/fairphone/modem/

Boot the TWRP recovery without installing it …

https://forum.fairphone.com/t/howto-use-twrp-without-flashing-it-e-g-for-backup/23747

In TWRP there’s an “Install” button, from there select the storage (Internal or SD card), select the modem file and Swipe to flash it, then reboot.
The modem drivers get installed somewhere separately from the OS, so your OS and data will not be touched.

It should be possible to install the file with the built-in recovery of Fairphone OS, too, but I never used that, perhaps somebody else can give the steps for this way.

I have the stock FP OS and try to update from 18.02.0 to 18.03.1
Twice in a row, I had an error after reboot, while the system was updating. Removing and reinserting the battery allowed me to reboot my phone, the update was not applied.

What do do?

EDIT: Answering my own question: The manual update works.