Fairphone Open Source OS is almost ready. Want to test?

that’s hardly any more confusing than having groups about FP1 and groups about FP2…
you will always have people who mix that up. But you also have loads of people who patiently will explain it to them

2 Likes

[quote=“Bergziege, post:21, topic:16743”]
you will always have people who mix that up. But you also have loads of people who patiently will explain it to them [/quote]

Indeed. And compared to other forums people are treated very nicely here. I don’t see the scenario mentioned above. Also clear Changelogs, clear ROM versions/names and upgrade paths will help here.

We are talking about the non-google version here, right? So this is the one for the nerds that love to give feedback early on. Most people will understand: No google/google services, BETA and “don’t expect this to work … do not call the support ask in the forum!”.

But maybe their support team will think differently …hard to tell from here.

1 Like

We use Gerrit and not Git(hub) to publish the code.

You can already find it here:
http://code.fairphone.com/gerrit

But as publishing code means more then just throwing it out there, we are waiting with announcing this. We need to make sure we have the resources to deal with bug reports, write proper documentation etc. Currently the devs team focus lies with fixing the most annoying bugs and releasing the non-gms version of Fairphone OS.

We don’t want to disappoint the “really nice nerds who might love to give feedback early on” by not being able to respond to them or spend time to properly look at the code they submitted.

8 Likes

But I sure hope somebody hops over to the beta thread once in a while and has a look :wink:

1 Like

Your right and also want the release out. We were already on the brink of releasing a binary image of the FPOSOS but then there was also this little thing and that little thing so we pushed the release further and further out.

So in hindsight, it might been better to have something maybe not so perfect out and then have a tight feedback loop to make it better.

It is something we are aware of and we are working on improving this situation. The pre-release to a limited audience was a first step in this direction and we think that it is time to release this version (although it might have some issues, which will be addressed in a later release) to a broader audience.

5 Likes

From what I read here, I suppose it is a little late to volunteer as beta tester, right? I am away on holidays and thought to join you as soon as I find the time to make sure that I really properly back-uped my data and settings…

Hey @merci, you can always mail us to apply.
After we release this version there will be another version for which we highly appreciate your time and energy to test it.

2 Likes

Then I’m in, because of lack of time these days…

Can anyone share his or her experience with FPOSOS so far? I will receive my FP2 in the upcoming days and still cannot decide whether to put Sailfish OS or FPOSOS on it. Does it run stable so that I can use it as an productive OS and how do you get your apps? Via F-Droid? Particularly, any experience with the Signal Messenger and WhatsApp, cause these are kind of essential for me.

1 Like

I want to support all your questions. I really would like to beta-test the existing version, but fear I have no real spare time to do a in-depth job on that.

@stefanhgm you should have the opportunity to install only the google appstore via OpenGApps nano package or use a repository clone for proprietary programs like whatsapp.

1 Like

I’m running self-built images for a while now, which I guess should be close to the beta builds.
It’s a usable daily driver for me with only F-Droid apps (K9-mail/DAVdroid/Osmand/…)

I do not use Signal/WhatsApp, so can’t comment on those.

2 Likes

Absolutely!
Install worked like charm, and it runs very stable. So in my opinion there’s no reason why not to use it.

I use both, F-droid mainly, but also Google Play store which I installed via openGAPPS pico, to install some for me important apps like signal.
Everything works fine!

1 Like

That sounds great, maybe I’ll take the time to write the application email after all… did you use twrp to install opengapps?

Yes, which is fairly easy since the OOS test version comes with TWRP as standard recovery :wink:

For installing openGAPPS see here:

I can’t find the twrp fact. Thats amazing! :slight_smile:

Well, my post may have been misleading, I edited it. Anyhow, the OSOS test version comes with TRWP, and in the link above you find some instructions on how to install openGAPPS.

It is out:

PS.: I moved this topic to the software category because I think it fits here better and the other @moderators didn’t have any doubts about it.