Fairphone Open OS 16.05

It appears there’s an update that is the counterpart to the 1.3.6 update of the regular Fairphone OS:
Announcement

Changes

FP2 Open 16.05.0 includes all the fixes found in Fairphone OS 1.3.6. Further, we added a Setup Wizard to fix the time issue on first boot and it is now possible to use the unified location provider.

Highlights

• Security fixes (Google Public Security bulletin from May)
  • Improved Bluetooth audio quality and device compatibility (i.e. wireless headsets, car audio system, etc.)
  • Improved display backlight stability (“flickering screen”)
  • Fixed the Privacy Impact behavior that caused certain apps to stop functioning properly once the Privacy Impact pop-up was disabled
  • Initial improvements for camera noise reduction in low-light conditions
  • Setup Wizard on first boot
  • Unified Location provider (Thanks Jochen)

More

• Fixed the Wi-Fi overview that was partially hidden by the software buttons
  • Improved translations of Fairphone widgets/lockscreen in many languages
  • Improved Fairphone Updater
  • Improved mobile data icons
  • Fixed MMS configurations for certain networks
  • Security fixes: CVE-2015-0571, CVE-2016-0705, CVE-2016-2447 to CVE-2016-2452,
    CVE-2016-2457 to CVE-2016-2460
11 Likes

If I would pull all the git code from code.fairphone.com right now using repo, would I receive the matching 16.05 code that would include all the CVEs? I’m just asking, I’m not trying to be pushy about this.

I’ve never actually git pulled, but repo init gives me this before asking me who I am:
`From http://code.fairphone.com/gerrit/fp2-dev/manifest

• [new branch] fp2-sibon -> origin/fp2-sibon
  • [new tag] FP2-open-16.05.0 -> FP2-open-16.05.0`
    Other than that, I don’t know.
1 Like

Thanks, looks worth trying. But this time I will wait until the documentation is updated.

Thanks for sharing - update went through without problems.

• TWRP threw some errors about partitions being inaccessible (due to user data encryption), but the system was upgraded successfully.
  • UnifiedNLP works like a charm - many thanks for this!

However, I wonder if the recovery system got upgraded too? Are there any plans for TWRP with support for user data encryption?

Thanks!
Marc

TWRP / the recovery didn’t get an update since the last version (16.04.0) as far as I can see.

1 Like

Update successfully installed. Simple.

My thank goes to the fairphone developement team!
Great job!

1 Like

Does anybody know something new about the GPS problem?

For the people wanting to do something with the code: The new tag FP2-open-16.05.0 is on a mysterious branch, but you can just do git checkout FP2-open-16.05.0 for any repository manually.

To update your whole build tree, you should checkout this tag for your manifest (if don’t know how, just ask).

Well according to the changelog it is possible to use the “unified location provider”, although I have actually no idea what this is (because I firstly use gapps and secondly are not really interested in location stuff).

On my FP2 without Google apps SatStat shows a position. Seems to work.

Location provider with the google apps installed still doesn’t work.

I started the update through the updater.
I had Fairphone Open OS with OpenGapps ARM 5.1 pico (12 apps from google) And I have rooted my Fairphone.

The update seemed to go okay.
Google suddenly wanted to optimising 125 apps, it succeeded, screen with loading, and then as in a loop
Android suddenly wanted to optimising 123 apps (=two apps less), it succeeded, screen with loading, and then as in a loop
Android suddenly wanted to optimising 123 apps, it succeeded, screen with loading, and then as in a loop
Android suddenly wanted to optimising 123 apps, it succeeded, screen with loading, and then as in a loop

During the loading for the … time I pressed 15sec on the power, now I have a startscreen with the words Fairphone and waiting, and yes Android suddenly wanted to optimising 123 apps.
Now I will remove the battery.
Battery back in again.
Normal Fairphone screen.
And yes, there’s the Android wanting to optimising 40 apps this time.
It succeeded, screen with loading, and then as in a loop Android suddenly wanted to optimising 123 apps
Remove the battery again.
Pressing power and volume up. In TWRP I choose restore. Yes, that works.
disable root.
Trying the update again. Same trouble, android gets in a loop.
Pressing power and volume up. In TWRP I choose restore.
Finally back to 16.04 Open OS.
Luckely I did a backup (Titanium) so I could restore the important data.

2 Likes

Use this:

repo init -b refs/tags/FP2-open-16.05.0
repo sync

… to check out the newly tagged source code.

1 Like

For me the update went smooth, location in energy saving mode works again. Will check GPS when I’m outside, no chance activating it in the house in living in
First impression is very good!

Well, I don’t know, so hereby I’m asking. :wink: Are @jochensp’s commands what you meant? Moreover, I don’t really understand this whole “branches” thing. Does it mean that I’ll have the sources for different OS versions available after pulling and need to choose the one I want before compiling? Any explanation is highly appreciated. :slight_smile:

@Lidwien
Have you tried to wipe the cache using twrp?

1. I had to clear Dalvik Cache and Cache partition.
  2. Sideload again opengapps.org package.
  3. reboot and then worked fine for me.
3 Likes

If you already have a build tree (=sources synced) you don’t have to init the whole thing again. Go into the directory <build-tree>/.repo/manifests/ and run git fetch and then git checkout FP2-open-16.05.0. Then just repo sync again and it should fetch the sources from the new tag (I think ;)).

Just installed the update via Recovery, all went well. Even µgUnifiedNlp finally works! :smiley: