Fairphone Open and /e/ - are they the same? What kind of security compared to Android?

Two questions. I am trying to make an educated decision about purchasing a Fairphone. Are Fairphone Open and /e/ the same product? What security measures are taken to address the weaknesses of stock Android? (WiFi scanning, Google ID, IP address tracking of mobile data, WiFi triangulation, mobile phone carrier tracking) Is the security available in Fairphone Open predicated on user vigilance regarding app installation, or do warning messages appear when a user is about to compromise security by installing an app that relies on Google resources?

It is difficult for me to get a handle on these issues as I don’t have a Fairphone yet, I haven’t found any videos regarding Fairphone Open’s security features or /e/ security features. Can someone with direct experience please provide some concrete information?

1 Like

Hi There’s no Fairphone Open OS for the FP3 or FP4 that was an FP2 option.

They were not the same product then either.

5 Likes

In addition to what @anon9989719 said the /e/OS system is focusing on avoiding mainly Google tracking.
So from what you’ve mentioned (WiFi scanning, Google ID, IP address tracking of mobile data, WiFi triangulation, mobile phone carrier tracking) it addresses “Google ID”. You’ll find much more on this in the Murena forum at https://community.e.foundation

7 Likes

So there are no plans to continue Fairphone Open in the future, on FP3, FP4, etc?

We can only speculate. Fairphone kept maintaining that at one point Fairphone Open for the FP3 might come, but I think it will not materialize. In my opinion, LineageOS is a very good substitute for Fairphone Open (and LineageOS is also the base on which Murena builds /e/OS).

6 Likes

You’d be better asking Fairphone on that, this is only a user forum.
support@fairphone d0t c0m

Current FP Statement

And to add a wisenheimer comment: all systems are Android, just with more or less google and with or without microG instead of Google

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.