Fairphone Open 17.04.0 is now available

For me it worked fine, navigated the with my file manager, after enabling root and remounting rw, opened it, changed it from my template, so i have not to type it anew every time, and saved it

Ok, i went lookingr :slight_smile:
For me, itā€™s still @z3ntuā€™s twrp 3.1. So here no overwritingā€¦ (Ota flashed via twrp, then opengapps and xposed)

1 Like

I just installed 17.04 and became aware of the initial question in TWRP whether to keep the system partition as read-only. But this should apply to the whole system partition, should it?

Anyway, the update went smoothly and extraordinarily fast - as always. This time though there was no app optimisation at first boot.

Update went smooth. Installed Pico Gapps and Xposed without problems. Is it at least necessary to copy the modem files as it is described in the update guide?

If you want to install Sailfish over it, or if you use apps that utilize the proximity sensor (and thus drain battery), you may want to flash old modem files.
If you donā€™t, and havenā€™t discovered unusual battery drain, then I would not recommend to do it.

1 Like

For me this upgrade was actually not so smooth.
Well, upgrading went smooth. And I upgraded OpenGapps pico aswell, so Iā€™m not sure whether to blame that one or the FP Open ugprade, but anyway:

I lost almost all my contacts (and see no logic in which ones I lost and which ones I kept) and I lost everything from my calendar.

So that sucked a bit.

I still have the zip from my previous OpenGapps install. Anyone knows if I could try flashing that one to see if stuff comes back, or will flashing an older OpenGapps when a new one is installed just make chaos?

Battery life is a disaster after this updateā€¦ wasnā€™t great after the last one but now itā€™s even worseā€¦

My update went fine, I always change the platform.xml by hand. Could anybody tell me which commands you have to use for adb?
What went wrong this time for me: My DAVDroid-Account was gone (along with my contacts and calendar). Does this happen to others aswell?

Flashing older gapps usually is a candidate move for boot loopā€¦ Where do your contacts come from? Google, local?

1 Like

Iā€™m getting my contacts/calender from Owncloud via DavDroid, no problems hereā€¦

Only local contacts.
And many of them are still there. But I would guess 60-70 % are gone. And there are left both old and new ones, from all over the alphabet. I find no logic in which ones are left.

My calendar is also local only. I wonā€™t say for sure it hasnā€™t been emptied after updates before, but I donā€™t think so. I think I would have have remembered.

Thanks for the advise about not flashing an old OpenGapps build!

It is basically the same as using the terminal on the phone:

adb shell
su
mount -o rw,remount /system
vi /system/etc/permissions/platform.xml

make your changes and close editor (with :q)

mount -o ro,remount /system

Btw: I also did neither experience any loss of contacts, nor did I encounter problems with DAVDroid.

2 Likes

Are you using any apps that utilize the proximity sensor? If so, then you might be better off with flashing old modem files (as I assume the battery drain bug is still not fixed; though I donā€™t for sure).

Btw: I did not notice any difference in battery life, so I donā€™t assume it is a general issue.

1 Like

I didnā€™t see any change in battery life or loss of contacts either.

I donā€™t even know which applications use the proximity sensorā€¦ :cold_sweat: so Iā€™m guessing I donā€™tā€¦ :grin: but then againā€¦

I canā€™t change my wallpaper with this ROM. Not much of a point, as an upgrade is expected. But just in case, more people have this issue.

Right now I have the same problem, catastrophic battery life: I`m in holiday with a roaming network (no mobile data), but in the appartment thereā€™s also WLANā€¦ Also, mobile reception is very bad here. When Iā€™m using the WLAN in the appartment, I can see in the logcat a streem of messages like ā€œF/NetworkPolicy( 2654): java.lang.IllegalStateException: command ā€˜65177 bandwidth removenaughtyapps 10022ā€™ failed with ā€˜400 65177 Bandwidth command failedā€™ā€, whith the number 65177 being a running countā€¦ 10022 is a catchall uid for Google Accounts, which led me to install a newer OpenGapps, but this didnā€™t help. To conserve battery, I have to put the phone in airplane mode.
Traced this down to a routine BandwidthController in Framework, but trying to change anything with ā€œndc bandwidth enableā€ or ā€œā€¦ disableā€ doesnā€™t change anythingā€¦ Unfortunately, thereā€™s lke zero results fom my Google Search, and it sems I canā€™t search the relevant routines in the repositoryā€¦
Looks lke Iā€™ll have to live with that until back homeā€¦

I just experienced my first shutdown since the updateā€¦ still having a ridicously low battery lifeā€¦ as you can see

Itā€™s been active all the time, so no deep sleep, and the battery drain is explainableā€¦ Do you use the proximity sensor with an app (waveup or something like this)?

I donā€™t think soā€¦ and I havenā€™t changed anything since the update. So for me the battery drain is not explicableā€¦