Fairphone Open 17.04.0 is now available

My update went fine, I always change the platform.xml by hand. Could anybody tell me which commands you have to use for adb?
What went wrong this time for me: My DAVDroid-Account was gone (along with my contacts and calendar). Does this happen to others aswell?

Flashing older gapps usually is a candidate move for boot loop… Where do your contacts come from? Google, local?

1 Like

I’m getting my contacts/calender from Owncloud via DavDroid, no problems here…

Only local contacts.
And many of them are still there. But I would guess 60-70 % are gone. And there are left both old and new ones, from all over the alphabet. I find no logic in which ones are left.

My calendar is also local only. I won’t say for sure it hasn’t been emptied after updates before, but I don’t think so. I think I would have have remembered.

Thanks for the advise about not flashing an old OpenGapps build!

It is basically the same as using the terminal on the phone:

adb shell
su
mount -o rw,remount /system
vi /system/etc/permissions/platform.xml

make your changes and close editor (with :q)

mount -o ro,remount /system

Btw: I also did neither experience any loss of contacts, nor did I encounter problems with DAVDroid.

2 Likes

Are you using any apps that utilize the proximity sensor? If so, then you might be better off with flashing old modem files (as I assume the battery drain bug is still not fixed; though I don’t for sure).

Btw: I did not notice any difference in battery life, so I don’t assume it is a general issue.

1 Like

I didn’t see any change in battery life or loss of contacts either.

I don’t even know which applications use the proximity sensor… :cold_sweat: so I’m guessing I don’t… :grin: but then again…

I can’t change my wallpaper with this ROM. Not much of a point, as an upgrade is expected. But just in case, more people have this issue.

Right now I have the same problem, catastrophic battery life: I`m in holiday with a roaming network (no mobile data), but in the appartment there’s also WLAN… Also, mobile reception is very bad here. When I’m using the WLAN in the appartment, I can see in the logcat a streem of messages like “F/NetworkPolicy( 2654): java.lang.IllegalStateException: command ‘65177 bandwidth removenaughtyapps 10022’ failed with ‘400 65177 Bandwidth command failed’”, whith the number 65177 being a running count… 10022 is a catchall uid for Google Accounts, which led me to install a newer OpenGapps, but this didn’t help. To conserve battery, I have to put the phone in airplane mode.
Traced this down to a routine BandwidthController in Framework, but trying to change anything with “ndc bandwidth enable” or “… disable” doesn’t change anything… Unfortunately, there’s lke zero results fom my Google Search, and it sems I can’t search the relevant routines in the repository…
Looks lke I’ll have to live with that until back home…

I just experienced my first shutdown since the update… still having a ridicously low battery life… as you can see

It’s been active all the time, so no deep sleep, and the battery drain is explainable… Do you use the proximity sensor with an app (waveup or something like this)?

I don’t think so… and I haven’t changed anything since the update. So for me the battery drain is not explicable…

Something must have happened (and I don’t mean the french elections :slight_smile: ). Your phone does not sleep.Maybe you might give BetterBatteryStats a try? Or Wakelockdetector? It must be possible to find the reason for this…

2 Likes

You just made my evening :joy:

1 Like

You think!!! :astonished::grin::joy::blush::wink:

I’ll try wakelockdetector (never have before) and get back to you…

Thanks

Here’s what I’m getting… which I think is weird, I don’t understand what’s keeping the phone active. Maybe you have an idea…

Also my phone got stuck several times, once it actually turned off by itself… upon turning on again it booted in recovery mode…

This looks not too wrong. Please check the other types of wakelocks, too (you might prefer to send them via pm to me directly, so as to not clobber too much space here). Maybe a short idle dump (probably one or better two hours) with betterbatterystats gives more hints: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1179809

For me this update turned out pretty bad while the update routine itself worked as usual.

With the former version of the OOS (i can’t tell the version number - but I was skipping 2 or 3 updates) most things were working fine (more or less) but this update came with reduced standby-time (not as bad as some people have it in this thread but still notable worse than before) and increased the unmotivated reboots from once in a week to 2 or 3 times a day (if I’d be a power-user it would reboot more than 10 times a day).

Thats horrible.

I think it’s great that fairphone releases updates quite often; but those regressions are just super annoying.

BTW: I’ve also updated the opengapps to the latest version of course.

With this update, I also experience a major decrease in battery life.
I do use an app that uses the proximity sensor, but only while the phone is charging. I have not researched the proximity sensor bug yet, does it also affect the phone when those apps are not active?

Even when I put my phone on aeroplane mode and close all apps, I lose ca. 30% during night.
For now I’m switching off the phone at night and hope for Android 6.0 to fix the issue soon.