Fairphone novelty (novelties?) to come on 30 September 2021

There is a mailing list of people who had previously indicated that they want to be kept up-to-date with Fairphone news. You can subscribe when ordering or on the Fairphone website.

In this case, the link to subscribe AND take part in the campaign is the one in the top post (Sign up to our newsletter to get recurring updates).

5 Likes

I think I’ve got the same mail - but couldn’t find anything about “september”. Anyway still waiting for the second tease. It’s been more than a week. :stuck_out_tongue:

September stands in the first post: Fairphone novelty (novelties?) to come in September 2021
and also in the ‘terms & conditions’.

2 Likes

Ahhh the terms and conditions - thanks :slight_smile:

Actually there has already been a second tease:

And regarding how I came up with “September” – I just think that if the prize will be given to a winner in September and it likely will be the new thing, they wouldn’t do so before it’s officially launched.

P.S.: Just added:

6 Likes

Tee-hee … future-self … https://sinfest.xyz/view.php?date=2008-03-14 :slight_smile:

(In place of Bravoman #70 “Breaking Various Walls”, which sadly seems not to be online anymore in a copyright-abiding fashion :frowning: .)

No sure what you are getting at re. Fairphone novelties.

I’ve heard smoking weed is almost legal in Holland, it is definitely not a crime in Portugal.

Maybe the Portuguese and the Dutch are hooking/cooking up a plan to provide a new support initiative.

The mention of “future self” just triggered fond memories of old web comics covering that, that’s all, bear with me :slight_smile: .
(As for the Bravoman reference, there’s a book at least, and it includes #70.)

OK maybe a comic subscription, or maybe there is going to be a Fairphone comic, after all it seems the FP2 bottom module and support seem to make people laugh or cry.

And it will have to be a paper one as the phone isn’t 100% reliable.

Yes the good old days when the shop down the road had just about everything.

Probably a very wild guess but if the announcement will be about a phone that is going to change the industry…

Fairphone is going to announce that they’ll be the manufacturer of the next Google Pixel phone and because of a close cooperation between Fairphone, Google and Qualcomm, the FP4 will be so modular, it will be upgradeable to a FP5 in the future.

That would really sound like a change to me: something technical that hasn’t been done before (updrading CPU, RAM, etc.) plus making the flagship phone of Google an ethical one :wink:

16 Likes

More like a dream, it’s what the future consumption is bound to.

This creates the new reason to have the EFCT22 again in Amsterdam. Looking forward to it.

1 Like

Well, that would definitely a game changer.

2 Likes

That’d be technically amazing… but upgrading to the next model’s name would probably also mean changing the processor, which means changing the core of the phone, which is the most polluting part to produce, right? So it’d not really be sustainable… Especially if after that, you want to improve the cameras, you change the battery, maybe the screen if you brake it once, and almost all other modules… In the end you’d have a whole new phone!

Maybe upgrading the RAM once it’s more affordable might be feasible though… But then, why not including more RAM from the start, which could be cheaper and less polluting (less waste, transports…). Same for the new cameras, especially if released after only one year…

However I love the idea of a Pixel phone made by Fairphone with Google and Qualcomm to announce a 5 year support, even if that’s probably only a dream… Because Google would’ve teased it!

If Google was to relate to Fairphone the company, as for me I’d drop immediately.

Now, I am painfully aware that the successive three Fairphone models, which in my family we all own, have evolved

• from a degoogled OS by default (Fairphone 1, to which then one could actively add Gapps)
  • to a fully googled model, but still with a Fairphone-developed and maintained alternative degoogled OS option (Fairphone 2)
  • to an only-google Fairphone 3 / 3+ (with maybe some agreement with the degoogle /e/ OS, since /e/ now proposes FP3s with /e/ preinstalled)

So the trend is quite clear : probably not degoogled…

Still, I personally consider degoogled OS is at least as important as hardware fairness. Visibly, I’m in minority here :frowning_face:

8 Likes

Maybe, maybe not, only you can tell by the company you keep. Many people look at the environment as a consumer item and of course Google will exploit what they can and for sake of the future of consumers we want to stretch our consumption to the future. Providing google with a way into our consumer addictions is not something that will help that.

However I am not suffering from surveillance, environmental degradation or conspiracy as much as those working in ‘dark’ mines and factories.
Working with Google, in my mind would be a backward step for privacy but maybe a forward step for fair trade.

I willing give up any privacy for fair trade. I can’t conceive of having both, secrets and sharing for the environment which includes people’s pain and suffering.

1 Like

You 're not the only one. I think that the Fairphone 4 will be even more connected with /e/, as they rescheduled the rebrand of /e/ from July to September (to be in line with something else). Now that Fairphone announced the new something in September, I am sure they will collaborate even more.

8 Likes

That would be terrific…

2 Likes

Maybe the new thing is a Tablet with preinstalled /e/-OS then.
I hope FP doesn’t follow Samsung and Apple in making every next generation of FP more expensive. If the next FP costs 700€ I definitely won’t buy it.

edit: obviously there’s different kinds of customers and maybe I’m not the norm. In the case of a new FP for 700 € there’s hopefully still the FP3 or a new one with lower spec to buy.

5 Likes

I would say it’s still a phone (based on the Wifi certification). But not worth 700 €. I presume the winner will get some special package worth 700 € (a phone, headphones, charger, USB cable, etc.).

4 Likes