Fairphone novelty (novelties?) to come on 30 September 2021

That article weirdly does not mention the (dis)continuation of the FP3+, which it is merely listed as “out of stock” rather than “discontinued” in the webshop. I’d love to take this as yet another hint for the FP4, but it may be premature.

5 Likes

I think they would have mentioned it, if the FP3+ would be discontinued. So I think it could stick around.

3 Likes

Ok the new Video “Closer” from Blaudzun is out now. But for me it seems, it’s still the FP3/3+ in the Video… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I hope only looks like FP3+, but with better hardware… :smiley: If not, I go for another device, because I really don’t know how to live with Snapdragon 632 at 2021.

What problems to you attribute to 632? and it’s nearer 2022 now anyaway.

1. PPSSPP emulation…
  2. 5G
1 Like

Ok 5G is nowhere near me, in fact I have no nework
and I had to search for PPSSPP and see it appears to be a game emulator, which I imagine is fairly demanding.

So I got it, the the 632 is like racing on a backward sliding snail.

You may like to explain to Fairphone via support@fairphone what processor you want and why as they are designing the FP4 I imagine and they still maybe open to changes, probably not, but they may tell you want they intend using.

Thanks for the detail.

1. Yeah, you don’t have 5G, but city where I live have great coverage 5G. So that’s why I demand 5G feature.
  2. Also 632 have slow LTE, I had Redmi Note 5 with SD636… oh my god, never again.
  3. Yes, correct PPSSPP need a lot of computing power from CPU & GPU, I have Snapdragon 845 and still not enough (I have OnePlus 6, but I wish to switch to Fairphone), imagine use PPSSPP on Snapdragon 632.
  4. Anyway, if you open Facebook, messenger, instagram Netflix… impossible without slowing, random lags or try to use smartphone like Wi-Fi camera 4K resolution with great bitrate is impossible on SD632.

They released message with “something new” with price 700EUR.
Let’s say okay.
Xiaomi Mi 11 lite 5G cost 355EUR with SD780G.

I’m fully okay, if they release device for 700EUR with SD780G, this SoC is completely okay and enough powerful, but if they again release something with SD6XX or SD632?? So what?
As for the camera, Google Pixel still have image sensor from 2016 and everything is okay.

I really hope for new device with better SoC, maybe camera, RAM? 4GB isn’t too much, but still okay. Main issue is SoC, SD632 is one piece of trash for now. I had it device with clean Android, custom ROMs, custom kernels with SD636 and that’s bad, slow I can’t imagine anything else slower and Fairphone have SD632.

If I also should have that phone more than all phones (more than 3-4 years), that phone need performance for future.

2 Likes

Thanks again for the extended detail.

1 Like

To revolutionize the market I think of an all in one device that you can attach monitor, keyboard and mouse and use the Linux distro you want. In this case I hope it has OLED display or SHIFTmu would be a better option for me.

Good morning,
as the leaks showed the device was called FP 4 5G - so if 632 is not supporting 5G I assume, it will not be used in the FP4 5G .
Or am I getting you wrong on this?

2 Likes

I also read once, that a SoC was combined with an extra communication chip to get more functions and frequencies then the SoC was providing. More chips mean more costs and maybe bigger boards. It isn’t impossible, but it gets less likely.

There was no ‘leak’ the info you mention is taken from a website registration of a FP4 to do that. Not that a) there is going to be an FP4 anytime soon nor b) that the September surprise has anything to do with a new phone.

A leak is more or less a thing, that is published on any way and that without purpose. As the source was disabled just after some sites were talking about it, makes it seem not really on purpose.
Anyway - no one knows what is coming, but a FP4 5G is the best evidence jet. And the idea of a Snapdragon 632 is coming right from that leak - isn’t it? Someone mentioned it as a possible core based on some software version or similar.

2 Likes

This topic is a lot of hype and personal desire, speculation and misinterpretation :slight_smile:
The 632 is what the FP3 uses ???

https://shop.fairphone.com/en/fairphone-3-plus

1 Like

OK I’ve just signed up, after all it is September

Come on Fairphone, if you are listening in’ give us at least a date so we have a definitive expectation.

Don’t expect anything before September 30th.

7 Likes

Yep, the contest itself ends on Sept 29th (per the T&C) so, we still have time.

4 Likes

Cutting it a bit thin as the surprise is supposed to be revealed in Sept.

OK counting down to the 30th Sept, let’s hope the hype and wait are worth it. :slight_smile:

If I may, the prize estimated to be at €700 is, I think, most likely a FP3+ with spare modules, an exclusive cover, accessories, but not necessarily a new phone.
Or it would be a FP3+ with a spare core module with updated RAM and such — a FP3 double-plus, so to speak.

2 Likes