Fairphone novelty (novelties?) to come on 30 September 2021

Oh they took it down…
…look what I found :wink:
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:zQ-H90WG29oJ:https://api.cert.wi-fi.org/api/certificate/download/public%3FvariantId%3D104746+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&lr=lang_fr|lang_en
Does that help @JeroenH ?
Cheers :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It was also mentioned here: Fairphone 4 5G certified by the Wi-Fi Alliance - GSMArena.com news
I was thinking couple of weeks ago, that I will wait for FP4, as my FP2 will be 5 years in the winter. I just didn’t expect it to be so soon. Now I still think that I can manage with FP2 for a some time. Will see what FP4 will be like…

5 Likes

Thanks! So it’s been certified for 2.4GHz and 5GHz, but not for 6GHz. Also not for .ax support. Assuming they don’t want to add an external 5G modem, I’m going to speculate that it’s either the Snapdragon 765, 765G or 768G. The 800 series that has built-in 5G also supports way faster wifi than the single-band stuff that the certificate refers to. But, it’s a bit ambiguous, so I won’t hold my hand in the fire for it.

3 Likes

Sorry to disappoint you, but you are all wrong :wink: Fairphone is talking about a news that will change the industry, so an FP4 or Android 11 for the FP3 would be a bit too little.
I’ll tell you what’s coming: Sailfish OS on the Fairphone 3 including Android support! An independent operating system with the additional possibility to run Android apps. As a choice instead of Android.

2 Likes

I really want to see something like

Fairphone 4 - cheaper, smaller, less performance,
Fairphone 4+ - more expensive, bigger, more performance, better cameras

2 Likes

There is a topic about such matters

1 Like

I’ve read some news about a possible new fairphone gen, whith the new 5G.

It’s said the new phone was seen into the wifi alliance database and will come with 5G and will repeat a mid-range Qualcomm processor.

¿what do you think about this posible new fairphone?

1 Like

I moved your post here.
We’ve read the same news here :wink: .

4 Likes

I’ve been looking for different Qualcomm 5G mid-range SoCs and the only one I found is the Qualcomm Snapdragon 690.

This SoC would be compatible whith WiFi 6, USB-C 3.1, QuickCharge 4+, FHD display @120Hz or QHD @60Hz.

In my opinion if FairPhone 4 comes with this SoC, can come with many good thecnologies to compite in market.

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon-690-5g-mobile-platform

1 Like

ok, I’ll answer here

same size, please!!! so you could upgrade from Fairphone 4 to Fairphone 4+!!!

With the Wi-Fi Alliance leak and all the hype and speculation now, I would find it very funny if at the end it’s not the Fairphone 4 5G what’s coming this September.
But I’m at a loss about what else it could be and will just wait for the announcement.

7 Likes

While Sailfish is dead for long, running android apps on degoogled Fairphones has been available since Fairphone 1.

The trend alas within Farphone has bee to neglect this for the last two years, as, contrary to FP1 (degoogled was the default) and FP2 (no degoogle default but Fairphone themselves offered to download a degoogled version of th eOS), for FP3 they now have delegated this to /e/ OS (on the e/ website you can buy an FP3+ with /e/ preinstalled)

Let’s hope that /e/ will manage to install their OS on FP4. Although switching from android-10 to android-11 compatibility must be an enormous work for them…

P. S. I trusted Sailfish a lot years ago, I went up to donating a tablet’s worth for them at the time. Which is a lot of money.They are just dead, I fear.

1 Like

I wish a 765, 765G or 768G, but it’s more possible it comes with the 690 5G but i prefere the SoCs you said @RSpliet

Well, the degoogled OSes for FP1-FP3 all were based on Android, so no wonder they were able to run Android apps :wink:

They already have a working beta of Android 11 for 12 devices (FP2 and FP3 are among those).

5 Likes

Sailfish’s progress may be slow, but last time I put it onto a Sony Xperia XA2, I had Android support for Android 9, I think. Now they are at Android 10 and have 64 bit for specific devices.

Btw, I also invested in one of the tablets (never got one), and I still profit from that (OK, when my money seems to be gone, I was a little bit sad), because they turned my refund into licenses for Android support for Sailfish X on Sony Xperias.

2 Likes

I think it could technically be any 5G variant they have, perhaps even from the 8xx series. Apparently there’s features with which FP and Qualcomm can negotiate about, such as the supported 3G/4G/5G bands and perhaps also the supported WiFi standards or speeds. FP could well have “not paid” for the full wifi capability of a chip, but instead opting for a cheaper contract with lower speeds and possibly a simpler antenna. Time will probably tell, but looking at the 690 specs it was released about at the right time (a year ago, like the 768G) for it to be integrated by FP. And from the specs it looks like a nice upgrade from the 632 too, although I’m not sure it warrants a €300 surplus over the FP3+. unless other parts of the FP4 have leaped forward in quality too.
My personal wish is for the screen not to be any bigger than the FP3. I don’t really buy too much into the high refresh rate hype, but slight improvements in resolution could be nice-to-have. For me the 76x would have the slight edge mainly because it’s produced at 7nm rather than 690’s 8nm, which translates to better power consumption, and because it supports faster DRAM (2133MHz versus 1866MHz). Other than those, faster 5G/wifi or even more megapixels on the camera would be wasted on me.

3 Likes

It has been bugging me that a new “plain” phone makes little sense for the ad. Like, “The phone that can change a whole industry”, with the focus on phone… why? That was already their slogan, why focus on the word phone being so special?

There must be something more to this. Maybe it is actually a phablet or tablet? Or maybe there is support for some kind of dock to connect it to a monitor so you can use it as a PC as well? I would hope the last, but we will see. A plain phone feels odd to me with the marketing angle they chose, because the Fairphone 3 was already a phone that can change the whole industry, why use the same slogan again?

9 Likes

To change the market, they could provide 2-3 phone models with different modules that are interchangeable. You can start with a cheap model and replace broken or to bad or slow modules with more expensive ones. In the end you have a high end phone.

2 Likes

Although the idea is attractive to the consumers the cost of designing and manufacturing the products with a realistic idea of how many of each will be purchased is not what a small company could financially deal with.

Many people have fanciful ideas of what other could do, but they are just that, fanciful, not going to happen, then of course I may be wrong. :mushroom:

Also your post is more fitting at

1 Like