Fairphone novelty (novelties?) to come on 30 September 2021

It was called Fairphone:
“The ________ that can change a whole industry.”

Sure, it’s the FP4. But why should the FP4 change the industry? According to this, e.g. the FP3(+) would have done the same.

Has anyone here had this theory? My theory is that they have found a way that the Linux kernel and baseband can easily be updated and provided with security updates for 10 years. That would cover all 3 levels of security. (Fairphone has control over updates for the operating system itself anyway).
This is an extremely difficult task and would indeed be a great game changer in the industry. So far, this is the only reason why a smartphone cannot be used (“safely”) for much longer than 3 years. Fairphone itself has already made the painful experience that there is no more help from e.g. Qualcom after a certain time. Nevertheless, together with the community, they have made another update for the FP2 possible with great effort.

A hidden hint to this could be their tweets from 23.9. They are not about the Fairphone, but about smartphones that can be used for 10 years. (or not :wink:)

What do you think? Completely absurd? :crazy_face:

1 Like

Only if you align yourself with a Red Hat/Debian/Ubuntu LTS release. That’s really not an easy thing to do. The SoC is also challenging without vendor support, since those are closed sources blobs.

2 Likes

Ok, we’ll only have to wait less than 48 hours to be sure but as there were some speculations about the FP4 not having an SD slot anymore: today’s leaks indicate it will still have one :wink:

7 Likes

There should be something else indeed. It could be also a really strong collaboration with /e/.

2 Likes

Where is that leak?
:onion:

1 Like

I think this is what he means…
It’s in German though…

8 Likes

Hmm, so no OLED display? That’s a bummer for e-reading.

2 Likes

Wait for the release, everything else is just guessing.

2 Likes

An agreement with /e/ to being updates to the FP4 for 10 years ? It sounds like more likelihood.

/e/ would be good.
For me the specs sound quite well.
Don’t see any problems with that specs.

5 Likes

On /e/ forum it was written that they will wait with the rename of the brand /e/ until the September and they still didn’t announce it. So maybe they are waiting for FP and just maybe, they will announce it together. Although /e/ did not announce anything for 30th of September…
And yes, the specs look great for me. To be honest I didn’t imagine that FP could be so up-to-date with technology. I use my FP2 now for 5 years and it was out-dated when I bought it. I went from Sony Xperia Z Compact (Snapdragon 800) to FP2 (Snapdragon 801). Now from FP2 to FP4 will be like future for me :laughing:

6 Likes

That´s a fantastic link! Very detailed. :smiley:

Wow, that all sounds pretty damn good! What I like most is that the main camera seems to finally be a really good one and that there is a good ultra-wide angle camera built in. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Let’s wait and see. The FP3 had the same sensor as a Pixel 3a and it wasn’t that great. The FP3+ wasn’t a huge difference either. Most optimization is done in software, not hardware.

3 Likes

I also never thought they would make such a big leap. My expectations, hopes and even dreams were surpassed!!!

1 Like

I’m hoping for a Notification LED, seriously

4 Likes

Why? Always on displays provide much more information and are energy friendly. I’ve been using it for 3 years now on my Pixel 3. I thought I would miss the notification LED and all the color customization stuff. But having an icon just on your screen is so much better :nerd_face:

1 Like

Pixel 3 has an OLED display, the FP4 does not, always on on an LCD display is not battery friendly.

5 Likes

Why not? Who told you that?

1 Like

The Snapdragon 750G is one year old so the FP4 would not be up-to-date if this is the right SoC.

If it doesn’t have OLED it should have an LED light. I don’t think phones exist that use AOD on an LCD.