Fairphone novelty (novelties?) to come on 30 September 2021

If they use up their stock of old phones (but not the spares) before announcing an new phone, in the month they said they would, then I don’t see the problem. If this is all you have to complain about, then it’s not that bad, right?

4 Likes

Yes, this is one of the problems our world is suffering from most: Impatience which leads to more consumption because everything has to be there immediately and which in exchange leads to pressure on people working on these things. Calm down, take one step back, expect less and get excited more (which is easier if expectations were low before).
And I think to myself what a wonderful world this could be…

22 Likes

:de:
More pictures und speculative information:
Metal frame
Fingerprint reader in the power button
Laser autofocus?
Headphone jack: not visible in the pictures :frowning:

11 Likes

And the speaker NOT on the side anymore (right?).
That orange-ish protuberance should be there to facilitate the battery replacement, if I got it right.

3 Likes

Sounds good.
The assumption for the third hole on the back sounds legit.
What do ppl say to the Snapdragon 750G - was it mentioned before?

2 Likes

750G was leaked via Benchmark

3 Likes

Nice, I like the idea of metal frame. Just too bad, 3,5 mm jack will probably not be there.
And we still don’t know anything about the screen. Will it be IPS LCD or OLED…

3 Likes

Just compared the 650G with my almost 5 year old Krin 960 (Huawei Mate 9)

Of course that is an upgrade on most points and performance is better.
But some points (like the speed) isn’t that much of an upgrade.
CPU speed isn’t everything I know and I do not borther to much, as I never had the feeling, that my Mate9 were to slow or weak for something.
Just interesting to see, that 5 years didn’t make such a big impact - just from high range to mid range.

Oh and I saw little holes on thetop and on the left site - any clue what that is?
Screenshot_20210926_133955

They look like standard microphones to me

2 Likes

On the bottom yes, but on the side and on the top aswell? But probably yes…

1 Like

That was my thought to. Than I would have 3 microphones - is hat common?

Perhaps the hole on the side is part of an opening mechanism.

1 Like

You are right. And for me, no jack, no buy. I don’t want an unknown third-party USB-to-analog adapter, nor bluetooth headphones with yet another battery.
So the situation is very simple for me : just wait the return of the last FP3+ :pleading_face:

2 Likes

I am still buying FP4, because my FP2 is really in a bad stage. I will not buy any headphones for now. For now I can use my partners BT headphones for a while.

2 Likes

I’m only using BT headphones anyway, so I’m totaly fine with it. And for those times, they are not charged, I’m fine with using a dongle.

And for those without BT headphones ( and enough bugs in spare… :yum:), FP seems to provide somethingnew anyways. :smiley:

Just out of curiosity, why wouldn’t you want to use a USB-C to 3.5mm adapter? I didn’t like this for my Google Pixel 3, because the battery is weak. And I need that port for audio and charging, which is kind of problematic. But with a Fairphone you can just carry a spare battery, swapping that is done in a minute.

Or why not use USB-C earbuds? Fairphone will also release (most likely) wireless earbuds. I’m now using wireless earbuds for 3 years. The batteries are still great. And I don’t have the problems of broken cables anymore. Which is great for sustainability as well. If Fairphone has earbuds that have replaceable batteries, and you only have to replace them every 6 years or so, then why not? Or are there some statistics about batteries that I’m not aware of?

3 Likes

There are double adapters with a jack and a USB-C plugs.

I don’t think it’s that good to frequently change batteries, this can mess up battery stats.

2 Likes

Isn’t Android constantly learning your battery behavior? Sure it will be messed up for a bit, but it should self correct fast enough I guess. In any case I will swap out regularly I think. That will be one of the reasons I’m buying a Fairphone :slight_smile:

Sure, which is why I wrote “regularly”. Of course in the end it won’t make an enormous difference :slight_smile:

1 Like

Because of music quality.
As you can check earlier on this thread, I indeed found and published here such an adapter.

But what I feel is, the digital-to-analog converer in this case comes from a completely unknown supplier, with an uncontrolled quality and, I’d say, no guarantee, as with such a low cost nobody will even start a complain.
I agree it’s mostly for music (I have reasonably good closed earphones), but I really see Fairphone saying here “I disengage myself from any responsibility on sound quality, go see your adapter supplier”…