Fairphone novelty (novelties?) to come on 30 September 2021

OMG, even if they look more up to date, I find them very… ugly :sweat_smile:

• The colors: OK it’s recycled plastic but you don’t need to pick the colors of recycle… bins! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:),
  • the disposal of the cameras and flash in that weird triangle shape (why on earth putting them this way and not aligned?),
  • the notch: OK, it’s more common, and this is a completely personal opinion… I’ve always hated notches, especially if you still have bezels… Not to mention there are now hole-punched screens, which, IMHO, look much better!

Anyway… what is that dark hole instead of the top right camera? Room for the next modular upgrade for the FP4+?

EDIT after the release: with the metal rim, it looks better, and I get used to the notch and triangle shape… But why on earth make the light sensor look like a third camera? It seems there won’t be enough room to fit one instead in FP4+… #falsehope

3 Likes

HOTTTTT :fire:
Like it a lot - beside the bottom bezel it looks realy good.I assume it is for reparing / easy access reasons.
Like the notch. Looks more up tp date, than the old one did at their time.

Edit1: Love the green :slight_smile:

Edit2: Thanks to our best community members - the store owner :smiley:

1 Like

The photos show a date of Sep 9th on the screen, I guess this could have been the initial release date…

2 Likes

As long as its not another “strange” place for the fingerprint sensor…

2 Likes

:joy: this would be indeed quite strange.
I would assume though, it’s a third camera and through the light/angle/design it justs looks odd.

1 Like

Room for the good old HAL-9000 module. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

This whole phone looks odd to me… Like if they had to make it ugly because it’s fairer, repairable and more ecological… FP2 and 3 had nice design, even if retro… The transparent or black or vivid cover colors helped, though.

1 Like

I imagine, they did the triangle for easier modul-changes.
But for me most camera modules with more than two cameras do not look very esthetic.
And the one of the iPhone 11 and Pixel 4 look similar though.
So for me it’s not better of worse then the others.

4 Likes

I totally agree there, it always looks clumsy and out of balance. And frankly, it keeps reminding me of the blind sign. I don’t know if there is any design way out of this … maybe you’d have to cover the whole back area with faux lenses to turn it into a design pattern so the 2-3 actual lenses don’t stick out.

1 Like

Then put them in a square, not a triangle… And I wish a black or a blue color would be possible.

2 Likes

It would be better for future camera upgrades if the module form was a square, just in case it would be possible to add an additional lens…

2 Likes

Not to mention the square shape surrounding cameras makes the phone more stable when the phone lies on a table…

1 Like

I think that is not plausible. The phone rests on that protruding camera area and the phone corner diagonally on the opposite end. I think under these circumstances, the triangle shape makes for a more stable position as the phone rests on an edge (the camera triangle’s longest edge) and the far corner of the phone – when the cameras are in a square, the phone will rest on two points (the lower right corner of the camera area and the far corner of the phone) and no edge.

6 Likes

True… except if you press the screen over that diagonal, no?

2 Likes

The whole problem wouldn’t exist at all if people would accept the whole device to have the thickness at the camera area. Flat phone instead of a “slim” phone with a Notre-Dame hunchback.

10 Likes

Or side by side like on the Pixel 6.

1 Like

Found it in a third shop…and realised, that they all habve the 265GB version in grey and green but the 128GB is only listed in grey.

Wantet to go for the 128GB version in green.

But they do have the protective case in both colors.

https://www.multitronic.fi/fi/search/results#lang=fi&c=search&keywords=F4FPHN

5 Likes

I was also looking for the green 128 version. But I’ll wait and see. My FP2 will have to last for 2 months more (then it will have its 5 birthday :slight_smile: ) and then I will replace it with 128 version of FP4. I just hope, that I will be able to buy it from /e/.

As someoneelse said, e/ is planing on announcement as well so I’m optimistic it will be on the FP4.
It’s possible to run normal appstore apps on it isn’t it?
Like some I bought on the playstore?

2 Likes

… or /e/ OS does it? I mean, they already proposed Fairphones 3 and Fairphones 3+ with /e/ preinstalled…