Fairphone investment

oh, they want to go public (IPO).
Well, I once co-founded a company and made my experience with investors. Good luck to fairphone, I love your phone.

That’s not how I understand it. Fairphone is a BV not a stock company. They already have some investors and each owns a share of the company. If you convert this loan to a share later, you similarly own a share of the company. The type of company doesn’t change in the process.

3 Likes

Well, it’s a really interesting development, as the oneplanetcrowd page and the investment paper is setting some things straight (at least in my opinion).
The number of customers is really about 150,000+, so nothing unexpected.
The B2B market is quite important; thus explaining the business model of FP as a service.
It seems, the FP2 is really causing problems - technically as well as financially.
I would guess the rising “other costs” are due to support and warranty cases.
(The forum is experiencieng right now a lot of FP2 sales - if I don’t have a wrong impression.)
There are quite serious problems regarding manufacturing and supply, hence the change of manufacturer.
The lack of marketing is - at least in part - due to not being able to handle a higher demand.
There will be no expanding to overseas-markets in the foreseable future.
The next phone might be a step back in complexity, with less or no modules, and possibly a step forward in fair materials (cobalt).
In my opinion every step taken, that is enhancing the reliability and reducing the need of help in this forum or by support is a good one.

The second comment on oneplanetcrowd and the questions asked are really important.

And finally: I fully agree to the post #15

3 Likes

423.690 € :money_with_wings:

1 Like

657.190 € :money_mouth_face:

1 Like

Today was the official announcement :wink:

2 Likes

It is so joyfull to see the raising figure of all those people believing in Fairphone.
I guess the 700.000 will be met today.

The 700.000 is already reached and still 3 hours to go today.

1 Like

Interestingly, the "top"category has changed from 10,001+ to 5,001+. The 6 people in this category have signed for nearly 200,000 Euro.
I have no doubt, that the 1,000,000 Euro goal will be reached soon, given the development of last two days. Even the 2.5 million should be possible.
I keep myfingers crossed, that’s for sure!

3 Likes

I am curious how you know this.

1 Like

I think @BertG multiplied each category by the number of people who chose it. Then he just added up the results for each category and deducted the sum from the gross total. (I just tried it, it confirms BertG’s number :slight_smile: ).

As of 22:12 CET:

-81x250
-113x500
-125x1000
-50x2500
-40x5000
= 198691

Now Bert will probably tell me I just need to look it up elsewhere without any maths involved :smiley:

4 Likes

No, he won’t.
That’s the simple trick. Basic math is all it takes.
When there were 4 with 10,001+, they together signed for about 128,000. :wink:

1 Like

Hi y’all. Just want to give you some feedback on a problem I had with the crowdfunding pledge signup. (800K Euros so far! WOOT!!!)

The registration form on my 12" Macbook with Sierra in Chrome, Firefox, and Safari looks like this:

Which if fine. But there are additional check boxes that user needs to scroll to before the registration will work. These are invisible, as are the error messages that inform you that you’ve failed to tick them when you click REGISTER. The effect is that the form SILENTLY FAILS unless you figure out there’s a scroll involved. I suspected my browser and reloaded the page in Firefox and Safari, checked my javascript toggle, then accidentally slid up the mousepad and saw that it was an issue of incomplete info below the scroll. I persisted! Others may not. Might be good to ensure that error messages are visible when the register fails. :slight_smile: Keep up the great work, love you all.

7 Likes

Source

All supply issues have since been resolved and we are
now ramping up marketing and sales activities
again. In parallel we are developing a new product
to support our future growth

Does anybody else believe this means FP expects to release a new product in 2019 or can such a rise in revenue really come only from a better supply situation for parts of a 3 year old product?

It would mean a new product and it would have to be very, very successful…

2 Likes

It would also mean that at the very least the design is in an advanced stage, otherwise there’ll be little left of 2019 to reach that sales volume. So it could very well be that a significant part of that growth is projected to come from marketing activities (relating to the current product), which is receiving roughly as much financing as product development is.

2 Likes

Would the 2021 increase mean another model should hit the market? By then, the FP3 would be 3 years old and I can’t see a reason for such a significant increase without “something new”.
The 2020 number also seems very optimistic to me, increasing revenue without a new product can not be that easy (see the 2017 and 2018 revenues). Maybe the FP-as-a-service should be more developed by then?

Of course this has to be connected to a new product.
And that has to be really successful, so the marketing and sales activities have to be very successful as well.

Now for some wild speculation.
One might guess, there is something happening behind the curtain. They seem to have a focus on B2B and could have some potential big customers up the line. Possibly the next phone is designed to the needs of this market “Fairphone as a service”.
As a service, modularity would be way less important than reliability, as the repairs will be done by FP-staff.
This - of course - does not mean, that the single customer is being left alone. It’s just, that the economic survival is the most important thing right now and to get a greater share of the market. Later on, when FP is settled and running stable on a “more volume” reliable phone model, modularization can be taken into focus again.
That’s just, because I really have the feeling, that lots of the trouble (especially rebooting) is due to the modular concept.

In the end …
we will have to wait. I don’t expect someone from FP to “drop in” an tell it like it is. :wink:

3 Likes

I wouldn’t say so. As part of the service to rent FPs to a company they could (quickly) teach one of the employees to do lots of repairs and troubleshooting in-house so only dead modules would have to get sent back and repaired/replaced.

2 Likes

Who would pay for “FP as a service”, to do the service inhouse? :wink:
As I understand it, “FP as a service” is meant as carefree for the customers and ideally no troubles at all.