Fairphone in your pocket? (Is FP2 too big)

Unfortunately, for me it is clear that the FP2 won’t fit into my pocket. I am planning on either buying or sewing a fitting bag on my own which I could attach to my belt for the same reasons you already laid out in your original post. I nearly never take a handbag with me - even though being a woman - and certainly not in the office and/or lab but I wear trousers (with way too small pockets…), so I think the belt is my best solution. Don’t know if it’d suit you.

However, I did not find any bag of this kind on the market for now - but honestly, I did not look into this very much either because I have some other stuff to do right now. If you see something like this, I’d be happy for suggestions though :wink:

Frankly I think you need pants a bit on the baggy side and preferably avoid bending your knees whilst walking to be able to carry even just the FP1 (not to mention the FP2) in your front pocket in the long run. I occasionally put the FP1 in my back pocket whilst walking, having found that a jeans-wrapped buttock works miracles cleaning the display :wink:

2 Likes

I will definately sew a bag for my FP2. Adding a loop for the belt won’t be a problem. Should I share my efforts?

3 Likes

Yes, this would be great :slight_smile:
In fact, I already tried out something (another view and the rear view but please consider it as a very first draft just to get an idea of the dimensions etc. I did not stitch it neatly nor in a way to make it last - and the cloth is certainly not the kind of fabric I would really use, neither in design nor in strength. Anyway, it gave me an idea.

I added buttons to close the bag and I now think that it would be better to add 2 slightly separated belt loops for better stabilisation of the phone instead of only 1 in the middle.

As regards size, the Verge’s handy article already gave me time to get comfortable with the idea of a bulkier phone:

There are three good tranportation ,bags’ for the FP1 on offer by RunGPS, I am sure there will be models for the FP2 as well.
ok, they are really for people that run :wink: - but they (esp. the belt) also work just in everyday life / office / lab / disco etc.

tune belt Run.GPS Shop - Tune Belt Neopren-Hüftgürtel "IP5" (has a little additional pocket for key, money etc.)
tune belt arm band Run.GPS Shop - TUNE BELT Sportarmband "AB84"
and bike case Run.GPS Shop - Ibera Bike Case IB-PB9 mit Lenkerhalterung für iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy S2 und andere Smartphones

1 Like

Another idea (which I wrote already 2 years ago for FP1):
pockets from feuerwear.de in the round:
Handyhülle Mitch aus recyceltem Feuerwehrschlauch

It even exists one fitting to FP1 (as I only read), each is unique, made from recycled firehoses, have a belt clip and are very robust.

Cheers, Robert
Edit1: webshop also in english
Edti2: Just some crosslinks to similar forum topics:

mostly for FP1:

2 Likes

Wow, I didn’t expect this question to pique so much interest. The belt pouch might be a very good idea. I’m not crafty enough to create one myself and not proficient enough in German to feel comfortable ordering from a German webshop, but I’ll try to find Dutch webshops that provide belt pouches and if I find any, I’ll post a link.

1 Like

The case topic ist most likely that highly disussed, as many people of the FP community are very eager to use ther FP2 as long as possible without doing damage to it…so they are thinking of correct handling and cases and pockets and so on…which I find quite good!

I did some edits to my post above…
Cheers, RObert

Sorry, my mistake, the page exists in English as well
http://www.rungps.net/product/blt017/Tune-Belt-Neopren-H�ftg�rtel--IP5--?language=EN
I’ve had this belt for 1,5 years now, it is really great, also in rain (I use it for running but also when I am going somewhere on my bike, or don’t want to carry a bag). In the first few weeks it smelled a bit because of the neopren, but the smell disappeared completely after that.
I just sent them a request regarding FP2 and which model will fit for that. As soon as I have an answer I will post it here.

2 Likes

What I thought ;). I’m using a (slowly-dying) Xperia mini at the moment, which I bought because it is just that.

Re: Cases: I was also considering Feuerwear. I like the whole concept and the design as well, but their cases do add bulk, which isn’t exactly what I want for for this behemoth of a phone. So I’ve been looking at (tough) paper sleeves and narrowed them down to paprcuts and mapbagrag. The big Paprcuts sleeve is just about the size of the FP2, just a wee bit smaller on one side. Might be a fit, might have to squeeze, might be too tight. I think once I’m over the sticker shock I’ll probably go for a custom-sized Mapbagrag. A custom Mapbagrag “open” is €37 (just mentioning this because their EN website seems to be broken; I can order a custom “open” model on the DE website just fine, on the EN website this option appears to be missing).

3 Likes

Great Information, I was unaware about this.

Yes this is a real important topic (especially for men). I wear my FP1 always in my trousers because I don’t want any bags etc. Over the time the On / Off button of the Fairphone became more easygoing. As consequence it reboots sometimes in my pocket. It would be better to place the On / Off button at the side and not on top. As a consequence of my problems I decided never to buy a 5" smartphone although the FP2 would be exact what I need (2 SIMs, LTE, sustainability). I’m still looking for a 4,5" smartphone with Dual SIM and LTE and good quality …seems I have to wait :frowning:

I don’t know about LTE but the other two criteria are met by your FP1 :wink:

Regarding your problem with the on/off button: does it occur when the FP is upside down, i.e. the switch pointing in direction of your feet or the other way round or both ways?

1 Like

I did some searching for a belt case and didn’t find any from recycleable materials alas (Feuerwehr didn’t have Fairphone sized belt cases, most things I found (be it from felt, bamboo, reused bycycle tires or like Feuerwehr reused firehoses) where pockets or sleeves without a clip to attach it, so you’d still need a pocket to put it in.

The 3 belt cases I did found are on regular webshops (I was explicitly seeking for Dutch shops, or at the least with a Dutch interface and payment methods). What I’ve come up with, I posted in the Cases and Sleeves topic:

I was thinking about a belt bag for running to be able to wear the fairphone at work. There are many of them (just google “running bag” if you’re interested) though I hope the belt bag won’t be too notable.

(btw it might seem that I am promoting this specific belt bag, but it’s just one I found on the internet. There are many others)

I use this: http://fitletic.com/product/mini-sport-belt/?attribute_color=Black
It will solve all yout problems!

I surprisingly like this. Do you also use it in your everyday life?

[Maybe we should move this to the other topic about pouches for the FP2]

I also find FF2 way too big, it’s not practical, not handy, doesn’t fit in the pocket, that’s the only reason why I won’t buy one :sunglasses:

Katie asks me to tell you that she thinks her head is on the small side. So the Fairphone 2 might appear a bit bigger on this picture than it actually is :smile:

Really nice to have so many links in one post to nice cases and pouches! @huskers we should indeed group these!

6 Likes