Fairphone Community Map

Continuing the discussion from Do you know an open source alternative to embedded maps?

I present to you: The Fairphone Community Map! :map: :tada: @Roboe and I have been working on it for over 7 month and we are happy that we are finally able to show it to you out in the wild! :smiley:

The whole project is open source and can be found on Github. There you will also find instructions on how to embed the map and even how to define the preloaded map layers. And the best thing: You can embed the map in your posts here in the Fairphone Forum! :smiley: (Thanks @Douwe!)

Edit: I almost forgot: You can also access the map at map.fairphone.community!

Please let us know what you think about the Fairphone Community Map! :slight_smile:

16 Likes

The #fprsmap has just received a massive load of new information! @Roboe and I just added 142 shops & showrooms and 15 #repairshops . Check it out above! :smiley:

4 Likes

Embedding the #communitymap has become A LOT easier today! Simply click on the embed button inside the map, copy the embed code that appears and paste it into your post. Done! :smiley:

PS.: The embedded map will always default to the layers that are currently selected in the map. Example: If you only want to show ā€œMeetups & Eventsā€ in the embedded map, untick all other layers before you copy the code.

2 Likes

I somehow miss the information how to get an event to be added to the mapā€¦

events (Meetups & Events of the Fairphone Community, as of the official Fairphone Events page and forum sources.)

Iā€™m watching the topics in the addressbook. Hamburg should be listed already. :wink: You can of course always create a Pull Request on Github to have your event added to the map.

1 Like

Itā€™s on my list, but I have been pretty busy. Indeed Iā€™d welcome a Pull Request (see 2 posts above).

Edit: @urs_lesse Itā€™s on the map! :smiley:

1 Like

Hello everyone.
I dont know why but I cant see the map.
Could someone please tell me if there is an angel in or close by Frankfurt?

1 Like

@Stefan the map is hidden again. And itā€™s not just the embedded map.

@MrSeuchenratte I guess the closest is Stuttgart, you can contact them at stuttgart@fairphone.community or forum topic.

1 Like

I fixed this here:

2 Likes

There is now a webform, which you can use to send us the event details that you want to have show up in the #communitymap. Here is the link:

https://framaforms.org/add-an-event-to-the-fairphone-community-map-1524081557

I will go to bed now, but we should place the link more prominently soon.

@Ingo If you like, you can give me an email address and you will be notified about new submissions to the webform.

1 Like

@Stefan, I created a pull request for my next event.
cheers

1 Like

Thanks a lot, thatā€™s great! Have you tested it locally or can you build it in your repoā€™s Github Pages? -> hnms.github.io/fprsmap

Iā€™m not very familiar with Github. From what I can see, I submitted the pull request #83. The link youā€™ve posted above gives me a 404 error.

Yep, this links shows the map if you enable Github Pages in the preferences of your repo (you have to choose the correct branch there).

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

The community map is now a lot easier to maintain. :raised_hands: :smiley: The contents of the community map will be pulled from the forum daily (events and angels). More details can be found here:

3 Likes

Great work! No need to maintain different sources for events any longer. And no git knowledge required anymore. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Is it possible to zoom into the map by means of a specific URL (example: https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/50.77766/6.07764) so that the embedded map (at first sight) will only show a specific map section?

2 Likes