Fairphone Community Map

Ah, yes, I logged in using Github and I can see the WeAreFairphone organization. Thanks for the pointer!

1 Like

As of today the community map has a new feature: whenever you move around the map or zoom in/out, the URL is automatically updated so that you can share a link with your current view to others (copy/paste from URL bar) or embed it in you website (by clicking the “</>” button; the button itself is old but the center and zoom parameters are new).

Say you want to share a link to all Fairphone Angels without the events, centered and zoomed to Europe (currently the only place with angels), use this URL:
https://map.fairphone.community/?center=48.95136647,8.92089844&zoom=5&show=angels

6 Likes

Is the Community Map down? I only get a blank page on a Samsung phone w/ Chrome and Samsung browser.

Tried the link above your post, works for me on a Fairphone 3 using Fennec F-Droid.

Also works on desktop firefox.

1 Like

This Samsung phone (Galaxy S5 mini from 2014) is running Android 6 and has a security patch level of 1st Dec 2016…

Perhaps uses some ancient TLS version which is no longer supported. @urs_lesse had a problem with an old Safari version on macOS 10.10 as well.

1 Like

Unfortunately the Community Map is no longer updated as travis-ci.org is now read-only (I think @Stefan had already announced that to happen some day) and the project has to be moved to another integration service like travis-ci.com

1 Like

Github now offers “actions” that can do the same without the need for another service like travis.
And with the help of GitHub - nektos/act: Run your GitHub Actions locally 🚀 they can be developed/tested locally.

I can have a look at some point this week.

4 Likes

Thanks, this would be great! :+1:

2 Likes

That point in time was today :laughing:

I tried it out in my fork of the repo and it seems I got it running.

There is a pull-request at Replace travis-ci with github actions by Ingo-FP-Angel · Pull Request #96 · WeAreFairphone/fprsmap · GitHub
But I’m not really sure anyone else is still active on the development for the community map.

P.S.: I made an error in the trigger of the workflow which means it actually already executed once. The upside of this error: the data on the map got updated :wink:

5 Likes

So hope is that @Roboe will confirm the commit, right?

Yes, exactly.

He said he’s busy/might be slow to respond in his github status. At some point I guess I’ll just merge the changes. But if there is a chance of someone else reviewing/checking, I’d pretty much prefer that.

3 Likes

I’ve now tried out Github actions on my fork of fpangels-hp and it also seems to have worked (new Oslo site is now already here: Fairphone Angels).
Pull-request is open on WeAreFairphone site: moving from Travis CI to github actions by ff2u · Pull Request #12 · WeAreFairphone/fpangels-hp · GitHub and will be needed to have the real Fairphone Angels Homepage be updated.

1 Like

I’ve made two comments on your PR :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for the proposals! I’ve implemented them and as all looked fine I’ve now merged the PR.
So the WeAreFairphone build has run and the #angelsmap has been updated. The new site Oslo is now visible in the list. :slight_smile:
Unfortunately the according dot on the map is still missing as fprsmap build has not run lately.

2 Likes

I’ve merged my PR against the map repo just now. Oslo is now also visible on the map. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Just some positive feedback:
I just had to change our local 18 September event’s location – and much to my surprise, the change of address is already shown in the map! This used to be renewed just once a day/night in the past. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m not sure if this is good or bad news that build now happens hourly…
It’s may be “peanuts” but still consumes about 24 times more energy…
And the question is: “Is it needed?”…
So I’ve started a discussion at least for the Angels homepage here:

1 Like

Good point! Here is a similar discussion for the map: Optimize the scheduled update of the map · Issue #97 · WeAreFairphone/fprsmap · GitHub

It’s a little different here, I think, as only few people ever update the angels list and those who do can also mostly act on github if necessary (like pushing a button to update the angels homepage manually).

But for events the people typically can’t go to github to push a button to see their changes reflected on the map.

1 Like