✨ Fairphone 5 live stream ✨

This review also points out a poor battery life.

That’s a 100% consensus on all the reviews I’ve read, for those speaking about battery life.

I highly doubt that software optimization will correct a 30% gap in battery life (with a bigger battery). That’s bad news.

I should have a FP5 to test in some days, and hope to discover it’s not so problematic.

4 Likes

They don’t really compare it to the FP4 either.

Here are some other reviews that say otherwise:

• Netzwelt:

A full battery lasts for at least 1 - 1.5 days, and not longer than 2 days with sparing use. You can’t really complain about that.

Source: https://youtu.be/HEtF7Ht-lm4?feature=shared&t=237

• Digitec:

Fairphone has increased the battery’s capacity to 4200 mAh in the 5. It was 3905 mAh in the Fairphone 4. However, we do not expect big differences in runtime. I get through the day, but I do not manage two days. I would have to be very restrained during use for that.

Source: https://www.digitec.ch/de/page/fairphone-5-im-test-ein-smartphone-fuer-die-ewigkeit-29331

3 Likes

Netzwelt don’t compare to the FP4 at all.

And Digitec only “expects”, without either comparing.

I’ll stop here, I can’t do anything against your certainties, obviously.

I’ll have a FP5 in the coming weeks, i’ll see by myself.

That’s not what I said either. I just said that those 30% less runtime compared to the FP4 are not confirmed at all and not really trustworthy.

But if you compare these reviews to reviews of FP4, you will find that the runtime estimates are very much the same.

:+1:t3:

1 Like

And there might still be updates to the OS regarding camera performance or battery consumption before the phone is delivered.
All the test-results up to now are with regard to pre-serialization and test phones.
Eg. netzwelt clearly states, that they received a phone for testing and sent it back to Fairphone.
My guess would be, that Fairphone is checking those phones for issues to fix. :wink:

3 Likes

As expected by many, the FP4 is now offered at a new price, 50€ lower than before in all configurations. I checked the smallprint and this doesn’t seem to be a temporary promotion, but a permanent price cut. So the grey 128GB/6GB one is now at 530€ (was: 580), the other three versions all with 256GB/8GB at 600€ (was: 650) each.

8 Likes

…in a store here in Switzerland you get the FP4 with 128GB for CHF 429.00 - its’ tempting somehow, as we need a replacement of our old FP2 and we do not urgently need all the new specs of the FP5. We will think of it, it’s a differnce of CHF 200.00 :wink:

Interestingly Fairphone’s Press Release regarding the FP5 also names a lower suggested price for the Fairphone 5 in Switzerland (699€ vs. 629€). Anyone know what that is all about?

1 Like

Yes, I realized that, too. But No, I don’t know why, but it is welcome to me :wink:

Other custom rules? I have no idea. It can’t be the currency, we are more or less even.

Ah well, it’s just the usual fairness of our world I guess. Higher wages, lower prices… :sweat_smile: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Yep, that’s the way it is and runs :wink:
(Except for a certain bank…)

Quite comprehensive video, thanks for the hint.
Hmm, as this feature
is not important to me, I can buy a FP4 some CHF 200 cheaper here in Zurich.

Tax laws as explained

6 Likes

I’m so happy to see that, because so far all reviews I saw on YT showed a total black screen, which made me wonder if FP made it AoD possible or not. But it looks like it is possible :tada:

1 Like

I would argue that buying a second hand phone is not necessarily more sustainable. Many people buy brand new phones every one or two years because they know they can sell their previous ones. So you might enable someone else to buy a new phone.
A refurbished phone would be pretty sustainable, I guess.

Anyway, the FP5 looks nice. Still too big though, and still not a word on a more serious focus on security. Long support for security updates does not equal good security (in its entirety). Will it still run OS’es signed with test keys? Will it support Secure Enclave like features? Will they release Android patches faster?

Alkes klar, die liebe MWSt…

A nice simple photo comparison of Fairphone sizes, from Celebrating 10 Years of Fairphone - Fairphone

(Man … coral red always looks so … radioactive in photos! :scream: :laughing: )

21 Likes

Times are changing, I was so mad about the ‘huge’ FP2 that followed my beloved FP1 :rofl:.

9 Likes

Seeing all these euphoric comments I guess you all have forgotten about the problems that came along generation-spanning. In Fairphone 4 there are still brightness issues (there are said to be solved in October) and since Fairphone 3 there are problems with the display connection to the mainboard resulting in ghost inputs (they tried to masquerade them as software issues but it is obvious that it’s a hardware issue), the ‘fix’ did not solve the problem in general.

So the question is: Will the FP5 suffer from the same problems like the two before? Are the suppliers more bounded so we can expect problem solving actions and do not have to live with problems like the finger print sensor case.

Furthermore the support is anxious for making it very hard getting answers, finding answers and so on and they tend to block issue requests.

With a history like that and no referring statements I can not recommend to even think about the FP5.

I checked the 5G bands used by the providers against the list on the Murena site. The FP5 is missing n40 (used in a few non-Eurpean countries and Lithunia, and reserved in a few more European countries) and n78 (used in Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithunia, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, North Macedonia, Norway, Portugal, Romania, Russia, San Marino, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom). The two gigahertz bands n257 and n258 are also missing. They are also reserved in some European countries.

While I can believe that the gigahertz bands are missing for tech reasons, I very much hope that n78 is missing due to an editorial error. Anybody know if this band is really something one would miss?

Does anybody have a source closer to Fairphone B.V. for a definitive list of 5G bands? Or the name of the relevant chip?

1 Like