FairPhone 4 in general

Yes that sounds strange. @Mariannevl Of course when auto-rotate is off, and you turn the phone, you get the override button in the bottom right corner. Might you be touching that by accident?

Runabout128’s microphone issue when using speakers (keywords to follow: handsfree, noise cancellation) has been reported before, there’s a workaround apparently, see this list of known issues which is maintained here.

3 Likes

Wow you just made me realize this is why I have some trouble being understood properly from time to time. As a lefty, it never occurred to me that the microphone would be somewhere else than on the bottom. :smiley:

3 Likes

I don’t uderstand what this means actually :wink:

Yes I see that button sometimes in the bottom corner. But I do not understand why it s there … And yes it turns as I turn the phone. But it does not turn the screen necesseraly
But it seems so unlogic to mehow this phone functions …

OldRoutard, this link does not go anywhere … did you know? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Following the link I see the expected, a forum topic listing known issues

Okay right! Thanks :blush:

For me that’s a helpful function. When auto-rotation is turned off then the phone does (obviously) not turn the screen when you turn the device. But in case you turn the device this icon appears and gives you the ability to turn the screen on one fingertip if you want to do it in this special moment/just this time.

4 Likes

I Agree with Googlemaps problem. I am not even having a case but if I use maps and use other apps during turn the screen off and just listening to the directions. The phone can’t handle this and I don’t know really why.

Exactly my thoughts about rotation that @OldRoutard suggests. E.g. touching the manually rotate icon with your left little finger unintentionally. You mention the sensitivity of the screen (one large touchscreen). ’ I’ve been there, done that (unintentionally touching the icon), wasn’t impressed ’ :grin:

Also when I want to tap a certain icon it often activates the neighboring icon. Of course it could be my hand eye coordination. I haven’t got that big fingers :pinched_fingers:

Regarding the microphone, I guess there are three of these: top, left and bottom.

‘I don’t think that I have any issues with the microphone.’
The line above (all inside the single quotation marks) was automatically written by Google using the microphone icon on the keyboard. Btw. I’m Danish🇩🇰
What I miss generally is the ability to prompt Google to insert punctuation marks and new lines (paragraph) verbally.
Perhaps that’s in the pipeline for future versions of android :grin:

Coming from an hTc U12+, I guess I have to adapt to a new and little smaller phone. Cannot say that I’m annoyed.
Great phone.

1 Like

The Google maps overheat i also experienced only my phone was stone cold and still got the overheat message. I had a support ticket open for it. I was asked to try in safe mode and there there was no problem. After rebooting again in normal mode it miraculously disappeared. :smiley:

2 Likes

@Irinel_Turturea that is funny! I never got an answer tot this particular problem … (overheat)
Maybe I should try reboot. But I have the feeling that is the answer to every question I send to the support …

Exactly! And in my case it sometimes writes in a completely strenge language also …

Thanks. I use it during work (nurse at homeservice) so I really need the screen as well in foreign areas

Hmm :thinking:

I’ve just tried to use Ukranian keyboard combined with my Danish voice to put in some text that way.
I can only conclude Ukranian ears were listening. It made absolutely no sense what it tried to write.
So that’s an issue too but not the phones fault.

And I don’t think it’s prepared to take any commands like inserting new lines or such.
But I’ll have a look at Google and share the news if I’m lucky. Odds are low I guess.

1 Like

So now I found something and tested it with first English -and afterwords Danish keyboard activated.

Have a look here: What do I say to make a new line when using voice recognition? - Android Enthusiasts Stack Exchange

The only thing I got right was the “comma command”.
“Enter”, “new line” and “period” didn’t work in English (for me) and in Danish none of those commands are implemented - yet.

Regarding overheating I haven’t seen that message since last software update. Which I guess also implies a reboot of the phone.

Regnar, but I usually use the Dutch keyboard and also speak Dutch … very slowly and very clearly. Sometimes: it doesn’t do anything until about lets say 20 secs later, or when my receiver is typing also. And sometimes it just writes complete nonsense … and indeed punctiation is also badly followed up. It makes other words too in a Dutch sentence.

Sometimes a second or even third reboot really helps :slight_smile:

Finally I found this page:

with help on Google gboard in Danish. I think there is one in Dutch too.
And it worked somehow. Even better than with the English keyboard/ - commands. Still not perfect though.

I’m not using this functionality a lot. Only when driving. Otherwise I’m using swype gestures to write in stead of tapping the keys. Occasionally of course tapping also when the swyping fails as it does now and then.

1 Like