Fairphone 3 in Nordic Countries (worries about snow and cold)

Hello. Considering buying FP3 with no prior experience of the product. I’m worried about how the FP3 handles (relatively) cold temperatures and change of it (going in and outdoors = moisture forming). Snow is also a factor. Any experience or information how FP3 fares in snowy cold countries?

3 Likes

People living far in the North will have a better answer than me but in my experience, Fairphone isn’t great with water so I expect it isn’t great with snow either.
The fact that the phone ca be easily opened also allows water and moisture to get in more easily.
I read on this forum (or Reddit I don’t remember) that someone had problems by having his phone in the bathroom while he showered if it can give you a hint on how Fairphone 3 handles moisture.
As long as you don’t drop it in the snow and avoid steamy rooms it should be okay I guess :laughing:
For the cold, I didn’t see anything peculiar last winter (but I live in France so it’s not that cold here).

4 Likes

Warm air is more humid so you could a) ensure when indoors and not being used it is a cool place, even a box with silica-gel packets. and b) when outside keep it warm and close to the body but not in plastic pocket where it could suffer closed humidity. I suppose you could ask the official manufacturers:

2 Likes

I’m from Finland and preordered Fairphone 3 last fall. I have not had other issues with weather than the falling backcover letters as the glue isn’t waterproof. The phone is very splash resistant (Once the phone fell under running tap and luckily moisture didn’t get in) I have not had problems with battery life at winter. (if you can even call the last winter as winter it was more like 8 months of autunum)

5 Likes

May I ask how cold it gets when you call it autumn?
I think I will be cold surprised by your answer.

2 Likes

I just meant that there was less snowy days than usual and only week or so of under -20°c temps.

5 Likes

If we get under -20°c in the Netherlands we consider it the worst winter in years. We only had 1 winter with -20°c and that was in 1956 (measured over the period of 1907-2020).

2 Likes

I was there once and everyone used winter jackets at +13°c :"D I had just came from -7°temps and felt that it was almost summer in the Netherlands :smiley:

2 Likes

See? I told you people living in the North would have a better answer :smile:

2 Likes

Only -20C That’s odd as in the UK with it’s predominantly south westerly winds and surrounded by ‘warm’ 12C waters I had frozen sea water around my boat in the late 80s early 90s. Can find data on it but it was -20C on the boat in places. We used to hunker down in a single cabin with a wood burning stove.

Even in 2010 we had -19C nearby BBC - Devon hit by -19C temperatures

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 182 days. New replies are no longer allowed.