Fairphone 3+ first photo always fails

Since I got my new FP3+ I noticed something annoying. The first photo I take whenever I turn on the phone always fails. It shows a black image. This is very frustrating as often you want to quickly get a shot of something you see only to find out it didn’t take the picture. I was hoping that an update would solve this. But I recently installed FP3 3.A.0054, Android10 OS update, security patch level October 5th, 2020 and there is no difference. Anyone else having this problem or maybe a fix? Thanks!

You should probably ask Fairphone support if they are aware of the bug mean while you wait for answers.

3 Likes

But under version “8901.3.A.0045.20200905” I have that too.

Steven

Same for me.
Very annoying (to not say “unacceptable”…)

1 Like

I just contacted support. I’ll post it here if they have any news.

4 Likes

Same with my FP3 since update, any news yet?

Not yet. I did get a reply from support saying they are having increased support requests since the release of the new phone and update. Therefore response might take a little longer.

1 Like

have you tried using google cam? It is kind slow for me but apparently it doesn’t fail

I’m not able to reproduce this issue on an FP3+. I tried both on A.0045 as well as on A.0054.
Has anyone of you who are affected tried if clearing the app cache (Hold Camera app icon –> App info –> Storage & cache –> Clear Storage) of CAMERA makes a difference?

P.S.: “Clear Storage” does not delete photos.

1 Like

I just tried it. Doesn’t make a difference unfortunately.

1 Like

I found the problem only occurs when the camera is saving to an SD card. Maybe the SD card controller or driver goes into somekind of sleep mode and doesn’t activate quickly enough so the first foto cannot be saved correctly. Anyone else who can confirm this?

3 Likes

Any news on this? I have this problem ever since I upgraded to Android 10. My SD-card is formatted as external (removable) storage.

1 Like

I can confirm. as soon as I switch to SD card, the first photo is not saved.

Steven

I cannot confirm this from testing right now, but this sounds like a very plausible explanation to me. From what I read in this forum recently (@Alex.A ?), setting the SD card as the default saving target in apps is deprecated or about to become so.

And while I am a big fan of using SD cards, I now always recommend to people new to using SD cards to not set the SD card as the default saving target and instead move bigger bunches of files to the SD card manually (via file manager) every now and then. The SD – as you say – can never be as “fast responder” as the built-in internal storage.

1 Like

Well that’s a bit off ~ I’ll have to hack the OS if it does that :slight_smile:

1 Like