FAIRPHONE 3 and 3+ A13 - Fingerprint sensor update

Hey, thanks for the fast answer! As far as I understood it, with lineage I cannot have automatic app updates, right? I know how to install apks etc, since I’m an android developer myself, but concerning something like banking apps I don’t want to rely on a manual solution

1 Like

SSSSSS - Sleep Strike Stipulating Speedy Sensor Solution

Just to confirm … the update started automatically without any user interaction?

If you install the Google stuff, you’ll have the Play Store just like in the stock OS.

Even without the Google stuff, you could still use F-Droid and (if needed) Aurora Store.

3 Likes

And if I don’t have a smartphone, or if I have one without a fingerprint reader, or if I have no readable fingerprints (yes, this condition exists)?

If any of this conditions applies to you. You can simply call or go to an administrative office in person and your going to be helped in a reasonable time. Because everyone else is using Digitales Amt to get stuff done online. Freeing up resources for everyone else.

And this update is likely going to reduce the number of Fairphone user in Austria and other states with advanced E-Goverment apps like Estonia down to zero pretty quickly.

1 Like

I was lucky to stop the update to Android 13, because I read the release notes at the right time!
With Android 13 I would have lost my ability for using digital payments. The “Digital Pay”-App and all Banking Apps would not work anymore, without typing in a more than 14 characters long password. It would not be funny to pay with your smartphone at the supermarket and always type in all long password.
I hope there will be a solution until support for Android 11 ends. Maybe Fairphone finds a possibility for a firmware update or exchanges the fingerprint sensor.
I am happy with my Fairphone 3 and I hope for a fix soon!

6 Likes

Just to confirm … the update started automatically without any user interaction?

I got an normal update notification. But all it told me (or I can remember) is that I’m running late with my update and that it’s 1 GB in size and I started the update directly from the notification. The same way I did with the dozen previous security updates before.

I have an Austrian FP3 that’s set to English and I’m currently in France and I’m actually surprised that I got the Android 13 update. Because my french workmate never got one for his FP3 so far.

2 Likes

In my country, I can do all online using an app on my phone (even if the fingerprint reader doesn’t work, I can still use a pin), or with a browser and an id card reader on a computer.

We could wonder why Austria is the only country where the fingerprint is compulsory to identify yourself whereas it seems different in most of the European countries (I believe so since nobody complained for government app not working except for Austrians).
I hope the person who contacted the developers behind Digitales Amt will have good news soon.

1 Like

The update to Android 13 is much more than just a security update. You should compare it with one from Android 10 to Android 11.

The updates are sent by your provider so it is not a french provider that sent it.

Personally, I wouldn’t take the risk to upgrade my phone in a moment I absolutely need it, especially abroad.

4 Likes

We could wonder why Austria is the only country where the fingerprint is compulsory to identify yourself.

The reason behind it is that Digitales Amt is a brand new app. Which was developed with the sole purpose to replace all the less secure authentication methods like SMS, pin or password verification that are still in use and provide the ground work necessary for things like the EU Digital Driving License that is going to be introduced in 2024.

2 Likes

I’m pretty much a Digital Native that is living in Austria. But I’m currently in Paris, because I’m working for a French company and I will spend about 5 days at “Home” this month.

So when exactly am I supposed to do my security updates?

2 Likes

Thanks for giving more information but it doesn’t change my opinion : an upgrade can always go wrong so I prefer to do it when I have other solutions. I apply this rule to smartphones and computers.

I hope for you and other Austrians a solution will come

5 Likes

I have an “other solution” and the solution is to hijack the phone of my son. Which isn’t something he’s too happy about.

Things can always break and I don’t mind a bug and some annoyances here and there. But what is really mind blowing is that Fairphone knew that some user will loose access to their bank accounts and with a bit of effort and community involvement they should have known that they are about to wipe out the digital identity of all Austrian FP3 users.

Still Fairphone didn’t care and still doesn’t care about the issue. With zero community engagement and any clear communication how they plan to deal with the issue.

Leaving me and others no choice, but to get a new phone and search for a nice way to retire my FP3. So if you ever drop by at my home. Please expect my FP3 to be framed to the wall and used as a Home Assistant Controller.

But please don’t expect me to trust Fairphone with taking care of my digital identities any time soon.

3 Likes

Hi all ! I updated my fairphone 3 yesterday, and now I can’t use the fingerprint for the security applications like Bankin, Enpass, my bank application, etc…

Someone can help me and tell me if there is a solution ?

I bought a Fairphone to keep my phone the most longer possible and it was not to buy an other 2 or 3 years later …

1 Like

To affirm this, you need to be sure there is at least an Austrian among the beta testers and/or FP employees who use Digitales Amt and that this was reported by at least one of them.

For the rest, I understand perfectly your unhappiness and that you want to buy another phone, but the best thing you can do in this case is to sell your FP3 since you won’t use it or give to a fairphoneangel.

1 Like

If handled properly this issues would be the perfect opportunity to get tech people like me more involved into Fairphone Test & Development and broaden and diversify the pool of beta tester.

But I think the more likely outcome is that most tech people like me are going to stop using the Fairphone stock image and switch to using LineageOS. Further separating me and others from the core Fairphone community.

3 Likes

This and don’t buy a Fairphone any more

This is a disaster! Is there any chance this will be fixed within the next few hours? If not I will have to buy a new phone.

Such a shame, I was happy with my FP3 and had just bought a new bottom module. Now I will have to buy something which goes against my principles but is at least reliable :cry:

3 Likes

There was a call for beta testers in April or May for the FP3 and there will certainly be another one in the future. Don’t hesitate to candidate if you still use it.

4 Likes

I don’t think this was managed properly at all. It is clear that a lot of people will have internet banking etc. on their phone. So this will hit a LOT (most?) users badly. As a software engineer myself I can recommend a better way for a software release which is used by a lot of users.

1. try with a small user base ‘friends and family’
  2. larger user base of alpha testers
  3. even larger user base of beta testers
  4. general rollout.

If there are issues raised by the alpha/beta testers (as was the case here) there MUST be an easy automated rollback procedure which does not involve data loss or configuration loss.

3 Likes

It won’t be ‘solved’ in the next months, if at all.

4 Likes