FAIRPHONE 3 and 3+ A13 - Fingerprint sensor update

Thanks, indeed “almost all” is more accurate.

I’m looking for something like the Fido keys yes but their YubiKey Bio series (the ones with biometrics) are not compatible with Android.
These apps expect my device to have a fingerprint sensor.

1 Like

So your only option is most likely another operating system or another phone.

From now I need to use the app “Okta Verify” that use only biometric data to access in the my work’s account (developer).

In my opinion a rollback is not an acceptable solution.

Sadly I must buy a new phone, and probaly not a FairPhone… :tired_face: :sob:

You could also install an alternative OS to keep the fingerprint sensor working like before.

This would perhaps not be feasible for work stuff, but at least it’s out there as a workaround.

Google themselves point out that this is bad App design because Google consider biometrics to be a secondary option for convenience after more secure measures like passwords.

Are you self-employed?

1 Like

Hi folks,
Since the upgrade to Android 13, several things misbehave on my FP3+. The most troublesome is that the fingerprint reader is borderline unusable. Specifically, Google Wallet asks for PIN on (almost) all payments regardless of config; my banking and medical apps can’t use it for authentication anymore; etc. All of these worked perfectly up to and including Android 11.

After digging, I realized that upon Android 13, Google has downgraded the FP-reader on my FP3 from “Level 3” to “Level 2”, which brings about all this mess.

Currently, I’d rate my phone as marginally usable due to the above. I have a few options: (a) Replace the phone. I don’t want to do that yet. (b) Downgrade to Android 11. That’s doable, but involves considerable pain (some important apps would not backup/restore and hence I’m going to lose stuff).

Which brings the question: Would Fairphone, or anyone, make an Android patch to reverse this arbitrary downgrading of the reader back to Level 3?
This would solve so many problems…

Fairphone themselves cannot do this without losing Google certification of Fairphone OS – what in turn could trigger other (perhaps more) apps not working anymore.

What you could look into is custom ROMs like LineageOS or /e/OS or others. From what I heard, LOS was able to restore the previous security grading to the FP3. However, you will need to check individually if your banking and medical apps all work on these custom ROMs.

3 Likes

As this was all discussed here, I moved your post, so please see above, there are options to search in the topic or just get a summary of it for an overview

I dont think there are still A11 updates released

5 Likes