FAIRPHONE 3 and 3+ A13 - Fingerprint sensor update

Quote from https://forum.fairphone.com/faq

Be Agreeable, Even When You Disagree

You may wish to respond to something by disagreeing with it. That’s fine. But, remember to criticize ideas, not people. Please avoid:

• Name-calling.
  • Ad hominem attacks.
  • Responding to a post’s tone instead of its actual content.
  • Knee-jerk contradiction.

Instead, provide reasoned counter-arguments that improve the conversation.

This topic has been marked as closed yet there is more to say.

Fairphone have agreed to supplying updates for A11 until EOL, but you have to manually download them and lose all your data. Why not open up a Beta B channel so they can be delivered OTA to those that subscribe?

1 Like

Its not closed, else you could not proceed with this pointless discussion.

Its marked as solved pointing to the current solution.

9 Likes

So why do I receive a notification to update once or twice a day?

Apologies, I stand corrected.

Actually I doubt it works like this in the Smartphone industry and its not only Fairphone who states this, also Shiftphones wrote or talked about this in the past reg. smaller screens.

To me that does not sound payable/worth it for a 4 year old phone

And just looking at the price for FP2 refurbed Bottom Module and the comments about the price…

I’m still a fan to implement something like the Shiftphones Upgrade Option for those who want this…

Sorry for dragging the discussion back to Austrian topic but I said I would come back once I had some additional information and experience for those who want to go the route I took.
Two days back I got my FIDO tokens. Got myself the Yubikey 5 FIPS. They were 80 euro a piece. So not the cheapest option but they will work with other providers of secure services as well.
Setting them up was a bit fiddly but worked fine. Had to confirm my identity using a TAN. At least that part was not bungled by the Austrian developers.
The timeframe for activating the key is quite slim given how often windows need to be confirmed and that you need to enter a security code for the token as well. Took me a few tries but it worked.
Logging in into the system works fine, if a bit cumbersome due to the security code required but it works fine.
Only issue being that it only works on a computer/web browser. It will not work as a login into the “Digitales Amt” app. So if you want to use the app for something else than a second factor of authentication it will not help you. For that you still need a cheap second phone with a working fingerprint scanner. Got my Nokia G42 today. It is not set up yet for further testing. The token will also not save you from typing in your Bank Austria password on the phone for your banking needs because they do not support any tokens.
Will do a bit more testing with the token using my google account and a few others to see what might work and bring back a bit of the fingerprint convenience we are all missing right now.

7 Likes

At the moment logging in without a fingerprint still works with “Handysignatur”. But don’t ask me, for how long this will still be possible.

2 Likes

First of all I’m thankful for all your efforts around this topic/problem created by googles (not yours) redefining security level of fingerprint sensor (when understanding that right).

It is impossible to technically differentiate if you willingly decide to stay on Android 11.

As a software distribution technican, I’m wondering about this statement, although I’m not deep involved in OTA software distribution, its IMO a channel of software distribution nothing more. And you have all information needed, besides the decision of the user. So if differentiation is not a general OTA restriction, it’s a simple technical IF/THEN Q&A before the right package will be downloaded and installed. Furthermore one is an update (providing security for A11) and the other is an upgrade (A13) - couldn’t this be taken into the OTA process?

Apologies accepted. please convey steps to rollback the uodate

1 Like

They are given in the post which is marked as the solution and therefore linked in the first post of the topic.

2 Likes

There is one small caveat to this.
It only works, if you have your phone already linked to your account. Otherwise you are stuck in registering your fingerprint, which is not possible due to the fingerprint sensor issue.
Just wanted to add this to avoid confusion. Because I tried this in the hope to circumvent the Digitales Amt app.

4 Likes

Yes, sorry, I didn’t think about this. I did this all, before I did my update to Android 13 … Thank you for mentioning this!

3 Likes

Nooooo, please don’t! I’m so happy with having the A13 upgrade, as it for me means much longer support of the FP3! I do not use the Fingerprint sensor for anything (not sure how exotic that is, but I can imagine that many users can live without it), so I am happy enough with the situation… (I know, a rather egocentric view)

It is of course a pity that both roads, hardware and firmware update, seem to be out of reach. Btw.: it seems I have never seen anywhere who the actual manufacturer of the Fingerprint sensor is - perhaps the community can convince them to open source their firmware code and the community can try to write an update? May just be wishful thinking, I admit…

Where actually is the trust level set? I seem to have read somewhere that this is purely a configuration file that “claims” the security level to be there - or is it really encryption strength criteria? If the former, who defines this, can it be overriden (i.e., cheating)?

Will the developers of /e/ and/or lineage run into the same issues?

1 Like

It doesn’t seem that way …

On /e/OS we’ll have to see, Android 13 is still to come there. While it is based on LineageOS, e foundation have their own development team. At least, they should be aware.

Stopping Android 13 Fairphone OS would be nonsense anyway if they want to continue software support. Android 11 still has a few months to live as far as we can assume, but Android 13 gets 2 years more of security update support than Android 11 under the same assumptions.

2 Likes

Actually, LOS did run into this issue, but they reverted the corresponding change by cheating, see FAIRPHONE 3 and 3+ A13 - Fingerprint sensor update - #109 by Ingo

Custom ROMs can cheat, they don’t need Google certification like Fairphone does.

8 Likes

Deleted my post as it was triggered by a reply from @yvmuell to @mikiballester on “venting here will not help to change this.”

This was from 4 days ago and I realized the thread went on with even more vitriol exchanged among the users and now decided I didn’t want to be a part in that.

Just concluding that I am fine with my FP3+ and the way Fairphone was transparent about the FP sensor issue and how they handed it.

Have a great weekend all!

5 Likes

How get I access to the “List of working apps”? I have some additions which are not listed yet.

Welcome to the Fairphone community.

As a new user you need to ‘earn’ some reputation in the forum, before you get additional rights, see for example:

But if you want to contribute tot the list now, you might add your information here, so someone can edit the list for you.

3 Likes

I will upgrade your trust level, that you can add the apps

3 Likes