FP2 proximity sensor not reliably turning off screen during calls - See first Post for Workarounds

No I tried to restart my phone and after that I opened the app. The app Andro sensor presents the value 2.0 inches and the app Proximity sensor finder presents 5 cm. When I move my palm towards the sensor the value changes to 0.0 when my hand is about 5 cm away from the sensor. I continue with taking my hand all the way until it touches the phone and then away from the phone again. The sensor value never changes after that. It stays on 0.0. When I restart my phone the value goes back to 5.0 cm.

So I guess this is a software issue in some way… Is the FairPhone staff reading this thread? This could be valuable information for them to come up with a bug fix and deliver with upcoming software releases. Does anyone know of a workaround in the meanwhile?

During calls my phone regularly starts pulling down the settings menu and changing all kinds of settings, for example entering flightmode or enabling mute, to name only the most annoying. It barely seems credible but my feeling is I’m pulling down the menu by touching the screen with my ear or cheek. In fact it is almost impossible to make a phone call without using a headset … I’ve seen a suggestion somewhere to turn the screen off after dialling - but surely there must be a better way? Shouldn’t the phone just recognise it is held to the ear during a call and be non-responsive? Is there any way to influence that? I quite like using the on/off button as a simple way to end calls …
Thanks, Maak

1 Like

Same problem here. In combination with the crazily erratic touchscreen, it causes a lot of problems. I just started a call, didn’t hear a dial tone and when I looked back at the phone it had put itself in Airplane mode!!

I have less problems when calling if I use my right ear for hearing and holding left side of the phone it little bit away from my face.
With my left ear I can hear calls better then with my right ear, so it is no real sollution for the longer time.

Same problem here too. I do get that awful feeling that I should have bought an Iphone6 instead. I still love the Fairphone idea and want to sponsor this kind of companies. However having a functioning phone comes first.

I do hope Fairphone solves the problem soon with an software update. What do we do otherwise? Send the faulty phone back and get a new one?

2 Likes

Just to use this thread as a log/help for Fairphone staff:
I also - but only once so far - have had the problem that the display did not activate again. Tried to push all buttons, tried to touch the proximity sensor, touch the screen, etc…
As with this call my peer was not a real person but their mailbox, which of course did not hang up just because I was done talking, I needed to open the case and take out my battery in order to hang up… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

i have this problem as well and it seems to be a combination of proximity sensor activating the pulldown menu.
Everytime i put my finger on the upper edge, the pulldown menu appears, instead of the screen getting saved.
i would be happy with deactivating the pulldown menu, can anybody tell me how i can manage that?

This has started happening to me last week. Before everything was fine.

As a little workaround, if you need to call a number that requires you to dial through a menu, you can add pauses and the required numbers to your target phone number:

The 2 second pause will then show up in the number as a comma.

Regarding the sensor itself, I tried the “Sensor Readout” app. It didn’t show any reaction of the proximity sensor. I then opened the phone, removed the screen and tried to clean everything. After booting, the sensor initially showed 5cm distance, but after I touched the upper part of the screen it went back to a permanent “0 cm” distance. Cleaning didn’t help either.

Hi there,
While making phonecalls with my FP2, the scroll-down menu … scrolls down. I seem to activate it with my ear.
Is there some way to block this?

You can use an APP like “Sensor readout” to check how to hold phone so that distance Sensor changes to “0” and screen goes automatically out during calls or you can press “on/off” button of phone after your phone call has started to turn off you screen manually.

Having monitored this problem with my phone for some weeks, I think it might not ba a faulty sensor but a faulty way in which it is addressed. I have observed that for most phone calls, the proximity sensor works fine and deactivates the screen as soon as I hold the phone up to my ear. For some phone calls however, the whole mechanic does not work at all, not even when I try to move the phone away from and back to my ear for several times. In these cases, which happen approximately every 10th call, the proximity sensor does not respond during the whole call until I hang up. This is also not depending on who I call. It also does not seem to make a difference if I call or respond to a call, but I am not sure about that. Hope it helps to fix this, because it is really annyoing when it happens.

1 Like

I also had to open the case and take out my battery to end a phonecall… Hope this can be solved soon…

1 Like

i notice that i have to hold the FP2 in a certain way towards my head during a phone call, otherwise the screen won’t go off. i think this should be recalibrated in the root software, so that during a phone call, the screen goes of more quickly / easily, less sensitively. hope this is clear.

I also had the problem that my screen got reactivated during phone calls and my ear was doing crazy things on the screen. In an older thread concerning a similar problem in FP1 someone recommended the app Call Screen Lock.

Since I use this app I did not have anymore problems although the screen turns still on from time to time.

2 Likes

It appears that mine doesn’t work at all, when I make a call the screen goes blank whether I put it to my ear or not. It won’t show the screen until the call has ended which I have to do with the power button (setting in accessibility).

I tried using sensor readout and other apps and didn’t get anything from the sensor. I’ve tried cleaning it etc. This is all using RC 1.2.6…

2 Likes

Same for me.

1 Like

When I come off a call, the notification bar is down and also the secondary bar as well sometimes, the one where you can interact with wifi and bluetooth settings.
I’m new to Android, coming from an iPhone 4, so, I’m not sure if it’s a problem with the proximity sensor, or if it’s just a setting in Android.
Does anyone have any advice on this please?

@Jeremy_Cassidy: I would say that it is the proximity sensor, and not so much you getting used to Android.

In general: is this behaviour of the proximity sensor being regarded as a bug / issue?

It is a rather nasty experience. Since I use my FP2, I have people telling me to go back to my previous phone (which was accidentally a FP1U).

I have the same problem… My FP2 gives me a black screen when i call and impossible to do anything except end call by power button… Thisis extremely annoying… Tried all apps… Nothing works… Tried the AndroSensor app…proximity sensor is always 0.0 never changes if i move my palm close to anywhere on the screen… Help!

1 Like

I have this problem too. It is extremely annoying and it renders the phone almost unusable for phone calls, which is, after all what you have cell phone for. I don’t know if it is because I’m left handed and the sensor does not end up in an optimal location. However, testing the sensor with the app Sensor Readout indicates some strange behaviour. The sensor doesn’t seem to be able to track proximity once an object is actually close to it, only an initial trigger when an object moves into its proximity. So keeping my finger still, or just moving it very little just above the sensor wont trigger any reading, only adding/removing the finger within the sensor’s proximity. Since you’re keeping you phone kind of still when in a phone call, it’s not very surprising that it doesn’t work out that well.