Fairphone 2 hardware extensions

Thanks keesj!
I could not get 5V on that pin, even if drawing power. Do I have to connect a usb device to negotiate a protocol first? Is there a possibility to draw 5V from that pin without usb controller? Is it okay to draw power from that pin without having a usb connection negotiated? What is the maximum rating either way?

Btw: is there a datasheet for that chip? I could not find one…

jftr,

Thanks for the files. I am going through them. Is there a general overview of how extension modules go into the fairphone? I will need to convert the CAD files to SolidEdge to get a better look.

Thanks,
Y-

1 Like

Still working on this myself :slight_smile:

This is generally done with the series resistors on the data lines, look into that

Hello Aypac,

5V will be delivered to the pin with or without USB enumeration. There is, of course, a datasheet for the PMiC but it is not freely available. if you are running the official 1.1.7 release the port is not yet supported you typically will only get 3.2 volt on the power pin and, among other things like the USB phy will not properly be powered.

2 Likes

OK. Thanks to another thread, I have also connected an USB keyboard to my Fairphone 2. That also works.

Oops! In the linked thread, the thread opener asks about Fairphone 1. So I didn’t answer him.

2 Likes

Dear @TobiasF,

Thank you for your response!

Since you talk about the FP2, do you think the FP1 will work with an external USB keyboard, too?

Thankfully,

~Robert

Hello !
Thanks for sharing this picture @TobiasF. Very cool easter wishes sending setup :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

About USB device compatibility, did you have a look over this FP2 thread ?

@orschiro I don’t own an FP1, but I would encourage you FP-Oners to grab an OTG cable (around 5€ on the web) and test for yourself, and why not creating a similar thread.

FP2 works quite good with an Apple keyboard and mouse. (Bluetooth). :+1:
The mouse works also perfect one homescreen. :smirk:

I just tryed this morning. :slight_smile:

trying some new things

13 Likes

Will you actually make this? :smiley:

well, maybe. if 6 likes translates to 6 orders not, but we’ll see!

OK cool! ( I especially like the USB one, BTW :wink: )

2 Likes

A USB hub, pretty cool :slight_smile: !!

The “IDE hard disk” and the breadboard look much less useful to me, maybe they are intended for your own prototyping use ?

One concern, it seems that the phone wont be able to lay flat on a table or desk.

I expect that’s a GPIO header rather than something you would use to connect an IDE Harddrive.

dvl has made ‘developers kits’ for the Jolla phone in the past and I expect that’s what these are.

Nice.
Is that a new backcover design in one piece that they are based on?

1 Like

well spotted! :slight_smile:

20chars

2 Likes

Great to hear you’re interested in this! If you’re going to make a qwerty keyboard for the Fairphone, I hope you’ll have better success than with TOHKBD.

Better succes than with tohkbd?? Ehm i would not know how.

But chances of me making a keyboard are not that high :slight_smile:

That would be great, a FP BT Keyboard.
May be named FairTyper. May be in a modern Typewriter design.