Fairphone 2: Crazy touch inputs (touchscreen issue) - workaround (for some): increase touch & hold delay

hi

Thanks for the clean up. I just wanted to mention, after resetting the battery, and cleaning up the connectors, I have tested the screen with an app capturing the motion of a finger on the touch screen. I am attaching the result of a horizontal swip, and of a single vertical swip (with one finger) at the gap seen on the right side of the vertical picture. It seems an entire band of the screen has become insensitive, and swiping over the band triggers a double touch of the screen on each side of the band. I guess I should contact support, but, in between, if someone has a suggestion, it will be appreciated.

Best wishes,

Jeremie.
Figure 1; continuous horizontal swipe form left to right.

Fig. 2 Continuous swipe from the upper to the lower part of the screen with one finger on the gap observed in Fig. 1

1 Like

Well if you have ghost touches and a dead stripe on the screen and cleaning didn’t help then it’s pretty obvious that the screen is malfunctioning and there is nothing else but contacting support that can be done. :frowning:

The issue seems to be much better (if not solved) with Android 6. Will report back in a couple of days :slight_smile:

While scrolling through a website the website itself flicker up and down really freaky. if i lift the finger, the website is correct located. it seems there is some kind of “noise” on the touchescreen imput. Could you please add some kind of error correction to the touchscreen?

1 Like

Same here, does some crazy jumps and i can hardly use U

just an info:
actually I am waitingnearly a month after I contacted support. Display for the FP2 is currently not available.

email from support says:
_Unfortunately, we can’t replace this specific module at the moment. The reason for this is that we are currently optimizing our production process. We are gradually introducing some changes to improve production quality, based on the teachings of the past half year of Fairphone 2-production. For that purpose, we temporarily stopped the assembly lines. We also engaged with suppliers to adjust their processes and materials.

Currently we are waiting until the new modules are shipped from China and back in stock again in our warehouse. We will get in touch with you as soon as we are ready to begin the replacement process._

This was about a month ago.

I know and I am very angry. Nothing works in this company. What drves me crazy, is that they promised a phone that lasts, but instead of a phone you can repair, you get a phone you have to repair. My display gets worse and worse and i cannot even pick up phone calls. I think nobody should order a fp anymore. I just want my money back.

:unamused: Really what do you thought about a Companys first self assembled phone.
This is not a big company, with lots of money.

As I payed this phone I did know what I did and what I maybe get. Thats why i have a Backup phone at home. And even with this problems Fairphone exceed my expectations. You seems to be a naive one. Did you fall into the nice add they made? What did you thought, that such a small company is able to magically never have issues on the Phone or with the support? I remember the many support test some PC-magazines do and all that horrible storys :de: even in big companies happened.

1 Like

I think most Fairphoners do not have a “backup phone” at home that can fully replace their FP2. In most cases, it will be their old, outdated phone.

So the users will experience some downsides if they have to switch to their “backup phones”.

Replacing a properly working phone or even buying a brand-new “backup phone” would be a very unsustainable idea.

To be offered immidiate replacement, when it is not even possible to pick up calls anymore, should be the minimum a customer can expect from a company. No matter which size it is, good customer service is essential especially for young companies and even more if they suffer from severe technical problems.
But I am glad you have anticipated all this stuff. I think you are just one of these guys who frequently tells to have always expected it after problems arise.

My Backup Phone is a “Samsung Galaxy S2” and it fits all my needs. With lineagos (Android 7.1) it has newer Software than Fairphone it self.
I know not every one has so simple needs for a phone like me. In My Opinion Fairphone fits every need except the needs for high availability. And that’s the Problem here.

It’s still a backup phone and better than nothing :wink: .
If you need an immediate replacement in case your phone breaks, which can happen at any given time, you may of course rely on any set of other people (family/ friends/ phone vendor) and if this fails be very angry about the result, or you may take matters in your own hands from the start and organize yourself a backup phone for your basic needs. There’s a choice.

1 Like

I agree 100% with you. My FP2’s screen is getting crazy this week, after loosing part of touch ability. This is my second screen, the first one was replaced after roughly a year, and now it fails again. I’m lucky because my micro module is still working, and the third phone case is still OK… :confused:
I knew what I did by buying a Fairphone, but I thought that it was more sustainable to buy a FP2’s to replace my non working phone… And now I have an useless FP2 and no backup phone. I seriously think to buy a new phone that will stand more than a year… To be more sustainable than 1 FP2, 3 cases and 3 screens I consumed :sob:

The good news is: Displays are back in stock.
The bad news is (from an email from support"

Due to technical difficulties with upgrading the return portal we are unable to proceed right now. But we’re working hard on it and we will get back to you as soon as we have approved your return request.

I’m sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

@fairphone support: This isn’t funny anymore, I am waiting for this display (and this is the second time) for ~2 months now

The first post mentions that one should “try to reduce the static/friction and see if it makes a difference.” Can someone tell me how to achieve this?

To fix the swapped buttons again at the frame doesn’t work with my slim case. It comes off again when I open the case. What can I do not to get lost of the buttons and fix it again at the frame?
The story before: Some month ago I got a warranty slim case and used it since than without problems. But nowadays - meanwhile switched some weeks ago from Open OS to LOS - problems arouse with flickering screens, jumping from app to app, making the phone unusable. I calibrated the proximity sensor, cleaned the screen contacts, but all that didn’t help. So I swapped the on/off button with the camera button and it seems, that it helps.

Since I handle the #austrianfairphoners’ #groupbuy’s and #spareparts stock I already had many slim cases in my hands and switched many buttons too. Usually it’s not a problem, but there was one case where the button wouldn’t stick when switched.
I guess one could try to tinker with the size of the hole on the rubber-strip. Otherwise all you can probably do is contact support. If the case causes reboots with non-switched buttons and switching buttons doesn’t work properly you’re more than entitled to a replacement.

4 Likes

Thank you! I will do it.

1 Like

Hi.
FYI, I have had a slim case for 2 months now. I didn’t change the buttons but everything works fine.
One could understand from this thread that one should change the buttons, but it is worth trying without doing it first.

You are right, I did that for six month, bat than I had to change, surprisingly.