Fairphone 2: Crazy touch inputs (touchscreen issue) - workaround (for some): increase touch & hold delay

Hi @Jon1 and @jpderuiter,

The support team is working on an article of all known issues that we plan to publish this week. So in this article we should have a status of the bug and if we plan it in the next update or in the future.

Cheers,
Joe

Thanks Joe. If the touch issue isn’t going to be fixed in this update where do I stand with returning the phone in the future? I know I can send it back now but I’d rather see what the plan is for a fix. My concern is that if I find out, outside of the two weeks that they can’t replicate the problem and the fix date is uncertain, I’m stuck with it.

Separately I don’t think the workaround in this thread genuinely works, I just think that for some people the problem hardly ever happens. I’m not sure who changed the thread title but I think you should change it back. Sometimes the moderation on this forum is a bit heavy handed.

1 Like

Hi…

Some strange behaviour (including accidental zooming etc.) for me is solved with this thread:
https://forum.fairphone.com/t/misbehaving-apps?source_topic_id=11533

Try it, it improved the overall experience of my FP2. Just re-enable the privacy impact (Settings->Sounds & notification-> privacy impact). Apparently this solves some of the ghost touches and a lot of misbehaving applications.

According to the other thread: this is a known problem and should be fixed in the next update.

1 Like

Does that only work if it is disabled in the first place? Mine has always been enabled.

I’m afraid so… if it’s enabled my suggestion won’t do you any good. Sorry.

The moderation is mostly done by Community Moderators, who are doing this in their spare time. If you think that we could improve, please open a new topic in the #Meta category.

1 Like

+1

The jumpy touchscreen makes the phone almost unusable at times. Please give this bug the highest priority!

3 Likes

I add the link of this page @anon90052001 mentioned, as it did not read it here in the forum up to now:
https://fairphone.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/207228996-Fairphone-2-software-issue-report

Cheers, Robert

1 Like

Thanks Jon - after my first day of (heavy) FP2 usage I was seeing the scrolling issue you mention (1) and also a flickering screen at times. I’ve also had a few times when my attempts to enter my unlock pattern have failed repeatedly as the line drawn leaps all over the place. Sometimes waiting 10-20s and then pressing very firmly to enter the pattern seems to sort this out. I’ll try the touch delay…

Same issue here! I received my fp2 yesterday and I’m very disappointed now :frowning: It seems to me, that this phenomenon occurs after I drag and drop apps to rearrange the display.

Did you try the touch & hold delay as explained in the first post?

Since my fp language is german I’m not shure. Is this “Zeigergeschwindigeit” ? Thanks.

Nein.
Einstellungen > Bedienungshilfen > Reaktionszeit Berühren / Halten

2 Likes

Thanks Paul! I changed it. Hope the problem is fixed now…

For most this workaround reduces the problem a lot but doesn’t necessarily fix it.
A fix will hopefully come soon with a software update.

1 Like

I have had the crazy touch input bug as well, and even seen it with the delay setting at “long” (alltough much less frequent).
Seems like it was most frequent during the first days (haven’t seen it for a few days now), and maybe worse when charging.

I also have the bug where the screen stops accepting inputs, but as for Benedikt, it has been resolved by switching the screen off and on again.

Problems remained after removing and reattaching the screen.
I have a proper sim, and no sd card.

I can confirm that the workaround makes the problem a lot less frequent, but it’s still there. Any news if this is going to be fixed with the next update?

You can check the current state here:

Incidently this problem is far less noticeable on the replacement I got sent from Fairphone, I think I’ve only had it once or twice in a week as opposed to once or twice a day.

Usage of electronic underwriting not possible, I think because of hypersensitive touchscreen.

App: inSign (available in google playstore) App does work without problems on more than 5 different other smartphones (android 4.1, 5.1, 6.0).