Fairphone 2 camera cannot focus

Has anybody tried this fix for the video focussing problem??

1 Like

Yes I did replace the foam, and now the focus is working great !
So this looks like a factory assembly issue.

Just to be sure, the focus works without issues in videos after the foam replacement?
Because I got a new camera module, which fixed the focus errors for still pictures but I still get occasional focussing errors with video captures

A post was merged into an existing topic: Video capture losing focus: Broken camera?

Well not at all for video, 1 or 2 seconds after pressing the record button, the focus goes wild and the video is blurry
 I think it’s more of a software issue, as the photos are OK

Hi Jochen, I also have the same focus problem with my FP camera. When I try to disassembly the module by following your pictures, I can’t I get to remove the last tiny screw. Did you any special screwdriver to do it? Thanks.

If I remember correctly it was a torx screwdriver
 Can usually be found in any medium-size toolkit :slight_smile:

I can confirm this, you also can find them cheap on Ebay (got mine for free with a 30$ replacement screen for my former phone
)

I didn’t know how it’s called, but had it in my cheap “electronic repair” screwdriver set.
It’s a set with 1 screwdriver and a bunch of different bits. This is a cheap alternative on having lots of screwdrivers if you don’t need them daily.

Thank you, I have found it : torx T5.

venerdĂŹ, 21 ottobre 2016, 11:21AM +02:00 da Jochen noreply@fairphone.com :

For anyone looking for these there are some here :

Just in case people start reading from the bottom:
:warning: Opening up the modules themselves will void your warranty:

2 Likes

Done it: It works perfectly now! Thank you!

1 Like

Thanks, worked great, ~10minutes needed to fix the focus problem

It worked ! I moved the foam a little but it sufficed to let the camera focus freely ! Thanks a lot m8 :smiley:

1 Like

Guys, try latest 1.11 FP OS update, the focus seems to be greatly improved !
I did a quick test, and at least I can take a video with opencamera without losing focus.

1 Like

Note that 1.11 iswas still in Beta and there did appear to be one or two issues that need to be smoothed out before general release. That being said, the beta phase hasn’t been very long for the previous updates. ,so hopefully full release will be soon
 And it’s released.

1 Like

and it works :slight_smile:

Ich habe das Kameramodul auch auseinander genommen, jetzt funktioniert die Kamera, wie sie soll.
Barcodes einscannen ist nun kein Problem mehr. Echt genial.

Danke

Hi there,

is it possible that this issue is related to hardware and software? My camera module suddenly won’t focus out of infinity. I moved the foam, I even tried without it; but there’s no change - only infinity focus. Before the issue arose, I could hear the focusing mechanism “clicking” when opening or closing the camera application; now there’s nothing.

I tried the Stock camera, OpenCamera, CameraFX - no focus change.

Is it possible to debug / monitor the camera driver in any way? Does anybody know possible LogCat messages to look out for?

I have no problem with spending 30 bucks on a new camera module, even if there’s only that untold expensive express shipping, but I fear that it won’t fix the problem

Thanks,
Alex