Fairphone 2 camera cannot focus

I also have a similar problem. Macro pictures are just fine, but if I want to zoom on a distant object I only get unfocused pictures.

yesterday, i ordered a new camera module from the fairphone shop to replace the faulty one. i will post here my experience with the new one. will take a few days, though.

The FP2, like most smartphone cameras, only has a digital zoom and not a real optical one. So itā€™s the same as taking a picture without zoom and then amplifing a detail. With a resolution of 8 megapixels just you canā€™t get a useful pictureā€¦

youā€™re right, @Irina_Spitznagel, but i can clearly see a difference in zooming ā€œqualityā€ between the cameras in FP1 and FP2. also your kind hint to use Camera ZOOM FX doesnā€™t make much difference on the performance of the FP2 camera, unfortunately. anyway, if i were to again take a picture of the full moon over pico volcano/aƧores iā€™d rather take a real cameraā€¦

taken in 2014 with FP1

1 Like

Waou! Beautiful photo!!!

I just missed being able to record a piano concert of my daughter because the camera would not focus!!! :rage:

Iā€™m very angry and disappointedā€¦ (I also have hot battery and low battery life and reboots)ā€¦

My FP2 is a disaster!!!

sorry to hear that but i understand your anger, the pictures from the concert would have been nice to have as a memory. my FP2 is a fine device except for the camera issue.
thx for your appreciation of the picture (taken with FP1)!

I think Iā€™ll go back once more to my FP1ā€¦

2 Likes

Better to fix the camera perhaps? Iā€™m sure they will do it for free.

1 Like

I have the same problem too, very difficult to focus with the camera :confused:

Donā€™t apologize. Great photos. Thanks for your contribution!

I could never do such a pic with mine :frowning:

Well. Got my FP2 back from service today.

Good thing: The camera works now pretty good:

But.

This is how i got my FP2 back:

Cover was not put on properly, I guess with brute force - which caused the broken frame of the display module. (Over the left blue bracket, you can also see some traces on the display itself)

So all in all: I had to send in my whole, functioning FP2 instead of only my camera module because of ā€œwe would like to diagnoseā€¦ā€. Had no phone for over a week, got it back damaged ā€¦

If you assume some frustration here, you might not be wrong.

1 Like

Ouch.
Hope support gets back to you quickly about that. Theyā€™ll probably be interested to know about the performance of their repair centreā€¦

3 Likes

After reading bfbā€™s story, Iā€™m glad that I got the chance to replace the module myself. Focussing now works like it should.
Iā€™ve made pictures right before and after swapping the camera.

Before:

After:

4 Likes

curious question: how is the performance now with zooming-in on distant objects? (im still waiting for my replacement camera module, should arrive soon). thx in advance for your reply

The Fairphone only has a digital zoom - as most (or even all?) smartphones. No optical system to change the focal length. A digital zoom is merely enlarging a cropped part of the image without gathering more information, so it can only get worse in terms of resolution (and noise, artefacts etc. as these get enlarged, too).

Iā€™ve never used a digital zoom because of the stated point. I guess the digital zoom of the Fairphone is as unsatisfactory as every other digital zoom.

2 Likes

sure, iā€™m aware of that. however, i experienced something that i never saw with the camera ofmy FP1: once you zoom-in at a distant object, the camera briefly shows the (expected) pixelated magnification and immediately turns to a completely blurred version when trying to focus. thatā€™s kind of weird, right?

Sounds like the interpolation kicks in right after focussing. Iā€™ve just tried the zoom with the stock camera app and Opencamera and it seems pretty pixelated to me. I can try to take a picture later.

I just noticed that everything in my previous post was already mentioned some time ago in this thread, so sorry for repeating.

1 Like

Here it comes - beautifully rendered 6.0x zoom with an almost impressionistic touch. In a very dull wayā€¦
Tried several times with both Stock Camera and Opencamera.

To be honestā€¦thatā€™s pretty much what I always thought of digital zoom. Of course, it gets better with larger sensors, smarter algorithms and faster processors, but I still prefer optical zoom :stuck_out_tongue:

Update:

No response to my ticket so far, so i called them. The employee promised me to get replacement for me as fast as possible as this is a special case (damage by repair center), especially as I go abroad next week and need my phone till then.

Later, I got the instructions:
No, they wont ship a replacement display module, (they dont send displays without phone at all for some reasons). I have to send in my whole phone. Again. No ā€œas fast as possibleā€ anymore. And of course not in time, so my trip will be without it.

So basically I had to unnecessarily send in a working phone for over a week instead of only a module. They damaged it so I again had to unnecessarily send it in, instead of only the module, all after I had to wait a month for response.

ā€œYours to keepā€. Sure.

I am usually not that into lamenting but I really feel twited now. Thx for nothing.

1 Like