Fairphone 2 camera cannot focus

For anyone looking for these there are some here :

Just in case people start reading from the bottom:
:warning: Opening up the modules themselves will void your warranty:

2 Likes

Done it: It works perfectly now! Thank you!

1 Like

Thanks, worked great, ~10minutes needed to fix the focus problem

It worked ! I moved the foam a little but it sufficed to let the camera focus freely ! Thanks a lot m8 :smiley:

1 Like

Guys, try latest 1.11 FP OS update, the focus seems to be greatly improved !
I did a quick test, and at least I can take a video with opencamera without losing focus.

1 Like

Note that 1.11 iswas still in Beta and there did appear to be one or two issues that need to be smoothed out before general release. That being said, the beta phase hasn’t been very long for the previous updates. ,so hopefully full release will be soon… And it’s released.

1 Like

… and it works :slight_smile:

Ich habe das Kameramodul auch auseinander genommen, jetzt funktioniert die Kamera, wie sie soll.
Barcodes einscannen ist nun kein Problem mehr. Echt genial.

Danke

Hi there,

is it possible that this issue is related to hardware and software? My camera module suddenly won’t focus out of infinity. I moved the foam, I even tried without it; but there’s no change - only infinity focus. Before the issue arose, I could hear the focusing mechanism “clicking” when opening or closing the camera application; now there’s nothing.

I tried the Stock camera, OpenCamera, CameraFX - no focus change.

Is it possible to debug / monitor the camera driver in any way? Does anybody know possible LogCat messages to look out for?

I have no problem with spending 30 bucks on a new camera module, even if there’s only that untold expensive express shipping, but I fear that it won’t fix the problem…

Thanks,
Alex

I just tried to foam trick: unfortunately did not work for me (also not when I took it out completely).
My camera still will not focus correctly for pictures over 30cm away. I can see the zoom work (goes more and less blurry when I click on the part of the photo I want to have focused), and that in this spectrum I suspect the correct focus level (so this might be the test to realize that the foam trick will not work for the problem?), however it then choses the wrong focus. Same problem for other apps such as Open Camera. Anyone any ideas or same issue?

1 Like

Did that trick with dismounting the foam and replace it in the correct posittion. Afterwards the camera did a great job. Very nice!!!

Just wanted to thank you @Npsm and @Jochen17 for your splendid repair tutorial.
My FP2 camera now works like new and focusses everything instantly again.

I’m so happy with the result and shurely will drink a beer on you later this evening!
:slight_smile::beers:

2 Likes

I just tried the described procedure of opening up the camera module, and my phone can focus very well on near objects (not sure if that has changed, I didn’t extensively test near objects before). The focus on far objects however is still not working. Did anybody else have the issue that the focus only on far objects doesn’t work?

So to be clear, the camera does do some limited focus, just anything further away than 1-2 meters is never in focus, not even with alternative camera apps - I tried with OpenCamera as the CameraMX proposed in another answer is I think not available on F-Droid (using Open OS without google apps here).

Maybe I pressed the foam in too hard for the far focus - does the lens extend or contract for far objects?

Thank you :heart_eyes:

1 year and 2 months i hate the camera - today i love it.

i’ve pushed the foam a little, now the lens has more space

Thomas

@cowjulie same problem here with different (OpenCamera, stocks app and Camera V5), FP OS, FP OpenOS and Lineage :-/

Hi Nico,

I bought a new camera and now it works perfectly again.
@anyone who wants to try their luck on repairing my old one, please send me a message and I’ll mail it over to you. Happy to recycle…

Oh, ok, no other possibilities :frowning:

Nice! Thanks a lot for this fix.
My issue was, that the foam wouldn’t stick in place. A tiny part of the square would always slide inside of the circle and stick to the camera. You could easily tell when using the camera app. There was no clicking noise. The clicking only came back after fixing the foam. Unfortunately, this was not a permanent state. Eventually I had to remove the tiny part of the foam (use a sharp knife to cut out a small part, roughly 1 mm) which would always slide back and stick to the cam. This is quite drastic and I was a bit anxious about my decision. However, the cam has been working fine ever since.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.