Fairphone 2 - list of news coverage and specifications

You’re not the first one to ask that question:

I guess that’s another great advantage of a modular phone. :smile:

1 Like

Hey,

does anyone know, what kind of hole is there on the top of the FP2? I am not talking about the standard 3.5mm Headphone Jack. For me it looks like a 2.5mm Phone Connector. Any Ideas?

Cheers

I don’t know but it seems to be connected to the camera. At least it is very close. :wink:

hm, I know DSLRs with 2.5mm connectors for external Shutterbuttons. But imo thats not a useful feature for the FP2-Frontcamera.

Must be something like a proximity sensor, or light sensor to regulate your display brightness or similar, I guess.

Now the forum is back online… Here is the first hands-on video of the Fairphone 2 prototype! The video is in Dutch, but it has English subtitles.

This video gives a great look at the modularity of the FP2. They remove the screen, the camera module… And the phone looks better than I expected.

What I liked most, is that Bibi Bleekemolen of Fairphone explicitly refers to possible future upgrades in, for instance, the camera or battery. The modularity makes it possible, but the phone was specifically designed to deal with improvement-replacements as well as broken-part-replacement. Awesome.

6 Likes

KPN will sell the Fairphone 2 in the Netherlands: http://corporate.kpn.com/kpn-actueel/nieuwsberichten-1/kpn-omarmt-verbeterde-fairphone.htm

It’s good that KPN supports the Fairphone message, which will help spread the news and sell the phone. However, I don’t quite forsee the impact of this. Why would you buy the phone via KPN and not directly from Fairphone? Will they offer a discount, or include the price in your monthly payments?

Maybe people already have a subscription contract with KPN that gives them a new phone every other year. That way they don’t need to cancel their contract to get a Fairphone.

Not to mention the other great advantage: You don’t have to pay >500Euro up front but can pay it in monthly installments.

Just a stupid question:
Does anyone in this forum know when the shop for the FP2 opens?
As it says on the shop-page --> it start’s summer (guess it already IS summer).
Thx and have a nice week (though the temperatures are still HIGH).

My guess is that pre-orders will start in September and delivery before Christmas! :stuck_out_tongue:

For anyone in this thread dying to get their hands on the Fairphone 2 prototype: you can! Coming Friday, June 10th, we are all welcome at the Fairphone office in Amsterdam. RSVP and check out more info here: https://www.facebook.com/events/856667607701731/

Also, I’m adding this piece by the Huffington Post to the wiki post: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brad-hurley/why-i-love-the-fairphonea_b_7735568.html
It’s short, its positive, and it emphasizes that it’s most fair to keep your current phone for as long as you can.

Damn, this FP2 is getting some international media attention. I’m really hoping this will have its effect on spreading the Fairphone message as well as on selling a lot of FP2’s.

3 Likes

Coming back after a delay - that’s interesting. I wonder if those different levels of protection will include “none” as an option (I prefer to use a leather pouch).

…and be stuck on Android 4.2.2 forever. Forever as in another year or so.

2 Likes

@adrian I would like that option to be available. I would also really like to see a flipcover, so that all sides of the phone are protected, including the screen.

I don’t remember exactly but I think I’ve read on article where they mentioned that a less sturdy cover option is a possibility. However I don’t remember whether that was a quote from Fairphone or just a journalist imagining future possibilities, or maybe a maker who pondered on 3D-printing options.

The last part however should definitely work: Fairphone will again make available detailed drawings for all of us to create our own cases. So you should be able to create your own level of protection. Whether “none” is such an option, needs to be waited for. I can imagine at least the battery needs to be held in place by something. If your leather pouch is capable of that, then you should be fine.

Heh, I doubt I’m going to have a 3D printer any time soon (never even seen one in the flesh) but yeah, good point.

After some thinking, I’m looking forward to FP 2. Preinstalling GApps is still a step backwards, because simply put it’s an opt-out instead of an opt-in, which is always preferable regarding privacy lowering options. But there will be loads of steps forward in different aspects. If/When my current phone breaks, FP 2 is number one of one on the list. As soon as I read about the easy repairability, the new achievements considering fairer mining and the open sourcing process, these features became necessities.

2 Likes

I’ve never tried anything along that line either. However in recent years 3D printers have become more widespread and are available for public use in many locations: Some shops, hacker spaces, etc. There might also be one near you. Of course, you would still need to master creating a 3D model. It’s possible, but probably time consuming for someone unexperienced in the field like us.

I still like the idea :smile:

Agreed. I have always had the book-type cover for my phones and hope one will be available for v2.

Here we find now all technical details about the FP2, because the pre-orders has recently been started!
http://shop.fairphone.com/fairphone2.html#technical-specifications

2 Likes