Fairphone 2 and CyanogenMod / LineageOS

Thanks ! 20 characters

1 Like

I’ve just ran into this great response on StackExchange about boot.img unpacking and want to share it with you:

I’m currently comparing two boot.img's ramdisk, one from FP Open and the other from my CM build, to fix CM’s booting.

4 Likes

I’m trying to build with proprietary files (i.e. blobs) and the audio-effects.h error appears. Removing some system/lib/*.so blobs make the build success, but maybe there are some required blobs missing on the final build (in case it boots, which is probably not, :sweat:).

On the other hand, about the boot/recovery ramdisk, I’m having troubles finding which init.*.rc files should we include, and which should CM generate. Anyone…? Or should I have to use the trial and error method?

IIRC I solved the audio-effects error quite a lot of time ago without resorting to removing blobs but as usual dimwit me I forgot to mention how I did it. I can’t vouch this is a perfect fix but it will get you past this during the compilation.

I’ve submitted a pull request on Github on this topic that you might be interested in, accept it if it feels OK.

I am still figuring it out myself. The most useful I’ve found for now are the init.*.rc and ueventd.*.rc in these repos (mainly the first one) that are used to build the OneplusOne :

2 Likes

Merged.

I’m going to keep studying the boot process further, then… and init itself

1 Like

Hi everyone, @Roboe and I decided to open a chatroom for the development of Cyanogenmod. If you want to join us (we don’t bite except on special occasions) you can find us on the dedicated matrix.org room #wearefairphone:matrix.org or the #wearefairphone IRC channel on Freenode.net (the two are bridged so you only need to join one of them. Matrix.org offers backlogs but IRC doesn’t require registration). If you have trouble joining in, I’ll be happy to help.

I also edited the porting wiki page accordingly.

7 Likes

Hey, reaching you all to give an update.

Thanks to the inestimable help of @Arvil investigating the dt.img generation (among other things), we have achieved to have a functional recovery.img (and probably a booting boot.img too, we are still testing) and have a working flashable zip.

System is stuck in a bootloop yet but good news are we are making progress and are enthusiastic and motivated, :slight_smile:

I’ve updated the status in the porting wiki accordingly and removed workaround for two errors we don’t have anymore, :wink:

31 Likes

That is pretty cool and nice news, motivation is the best thing to be able to use for such progress :).

1 Like

Awesome news! Congrats :smiley:

2 Likes

Would love to use CyanogenMod on my Fairphone. Keep up the good work!!

3 Likes

Very interesting. Please go on in this way. Fairphone 2 and cyanogemod they will be great!

2 Likes

Well Fairphone Open is like Cyanogen Mod. it is also based on Android Open Source. What is the difference between Fairphone Open and Cyanoge Mod?

2 Likes

First thing is, cm is per option rootable.
Cm also had a lot of customizations such as “livedisplay” Aka red-/nightscreen, the systemprofiles, extended app permission management, cm-design engine, flexible screenlock.

5 Likes

FP Open OS is rootable just checking an option on the (hidden) Developer Settings too, :wink:

CyanogenMod is based on AOSP, plus it was modded by hundreds of people around the world for years. This means it has a lot of stable non-AOSP features ready to use, mostly a lot of customizations: graphical (e.g. theme engine, quick-settings), Android framework (e.g. Privacy Guard), apps (defaults are improved), or hardware level (e.g. CPU under/overclocking and governors). Plus those @5t0rmr1d3r has mentioned.

Note a lot of ROMs modifications have been gradually reworked into AOSP itself (e.g. immersive mode, quick settings or even Marshmallow’s permission requests, rework of CM’s Privacy Guard)

4 Likes

I have a question regarding the wiki in this topic: ✏ Porting CyanogenMod to FP2
(it says to post questions here).

I have no experience with cyanogen mod, or any kind of custom smartphone OS whatsoever, but would like to get into it and eventually help develop builds for Cyanogenmod in the future.
Does anyone know of any resources where I can get started on learning the basics of doing so? This isn’t exactly something they teach you at school.

1 Like

You can have a look at the links listed at the end of the Porting Guide. There are CyanogenMod wiki articles and official Android guides (I recommend thoroughly read the latters). They are general, though; once you start building, you are on your own with a variety of errors you’ll probably find.

Also, you can join our Telegram group and ask specific questions there we’ll try to help you solve.

2 Likes

So apparently they are shutting down CyanogenMod… :’(

1 Like

Well, let’s see what will happen: http://lineageos.org. They will issue more information on Tuesday… They are also on fb,g+ and twitter

4 Likes

Code is still code. Open source is all about that. A project can fail in the market, but code will still be accessible.
They will rebrand CM as LineageOS, yes, but I bet they will start on CM14.1.
CM12 will have the same codebase. Don’t worry for our port, :wink:
Long live open source!

4 Likes

How is that word spoken? As in “line” (Linie) and “age” (Alter)?