fairphone 1 and fairphone 2 - working and non-working

I am teaching climate education and ressource-awarness for a german NGO (Energieagentur Ebersberg). I will have a workshop for pupils (age 12-15) where we discuss the implications of buying a smartphone (social and environmental). Of course the aim of the workshop is substitution of a regular smartphone with a fairphone one day and spread the idea of “green” and “fair” IT all over the schools in our district.
As all our workshops have an active part I need at least two fairphones which are not working any longer but can be separated into modules and I would also like to have a working one (second hand, as cheap as possible)

hands on experience planned:

• show the modular concept of a fairphone - in comparison with a standard-phone
  • identify the modules and exchange them (with the help of tutorials)
  • compare the technical features of a fairphone and a standard smart-phone
  • talk and look at videos about social standards of production

Perhaps you can help me? Please write me, if you want to support my workshop and help to change attitude of pupils towards unconscious purchase!

Angelika (lieka)
a.bachmann876@gmail.com

3 Likes

I could provide a non-working Fairphone 1 (both motherboard and display do not work anymore, but look undamaged). However I am not sure if you know that the FP1 was not strictly modular yet. It’s repairable but not modular as the FP2 is.

2 Likes

For a start and illustration, you might take a look at teh iFixIT teardown of the FP1 and FP2 (if you have not done so already :wink: ):

Maybe @Beate can give you some no longer working parts (as unfortunately her FP2 had fallen into water ).

Have you tried contacting the Munich fairphoneangels already?
And maybe take a look here:

Hello Urs, thanks a lot for your fast reply and offer to help me with material for hands-on experience in my workshop! I would appreciate a lot, if you can send me the items you offer. And I will check the links I received from your community also. Very helpful may be a visit to Munich fair-phone meeting – February 25th! This is a good idea to get more advice and assistance, I assume.

How can we arrange with fees/costs? If you want to send the items directly to the company where I am working for – the adress is:

Energieagentur Ebersberg-München

Angelika Bachmann
Pädagogin, Schulpsychologin/EbersbergerKlimaSchulen
Eichthalstraße 10

85560 Ebersberg

phone: +49-8092-33 090-42
mail: angelika.bachmann@ea-ebe-m.de

If you want to send a bill – please mail the costs in advance. As we are an non-profit company there is a limit of which we can spend for the workshops. In which way you ususally deal with costs for packing/sending? Please let me know how I can act fair and according to community’s rules as I am new in your forum.

Kind regards

Angelika

Hello Volker, thanks a lot for your fast reply and offer to help me with material for hands-on experience in my workshop! I would appreciate a lot, if you can send me the items you offer. And I will check the links I received from your community also. Very helpful may be a visit to Munich fair-phone meeting – February 25th! This is a good idea to get more advice and assistance, I assume.

How can we arrange with fees/costs? If you want to send the items directly to the company where I am working for – the adress is:

Energieagentur Ebersberg-München

Angelika Bachmann
Pädagogin, Schulpsychologin/EbersbergerKlimaSchulen
Eichthalstraße 10

85560 Ebersberg

phone: +49-8092-33 090-42
mail: angelika.bachmann@ea-ebe-m.de

If you want to send a bill – please mail the costs in advance. As we are an non-profit company there is a limit of which we can spend for the workshops. In which way you ususally deal with costs for packing/sending? Please let me know how I can act fair and according to community’s rules as I am new in your forum.

Kind regards

Angelika

1 Like

Smart idea, helpful! thanks for the links! In fact I do not know about the modularity of fairphone 1 - in comparison to fairphone 2.

Kind regard

Angelika

1 Like

I will go to the meeting - smart idea! Thank you a lot for your advice

Angelika

1 Like

Hi Angelika,

concerning (more) fair IT products Iust want to mention another great project: https://www.nager-it.de/.
Maybe it could make your lession more “complete” somehow.

kind regards
Christian

1 Like

For getting more ideas about what to present concerning FP you might also have a look at that topic:

2 Likes

Good ideas.
Still only in addition to the “hands on” part, that to me seems extremely important, as no explanation ever can replace this experience.
Maybe @lieka might as well consider referencing or spreading some information like this one:
http://www.greenpeace.org/usa/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Guide-to-Greener-Electronics-2017.pdf (link taken from this blog-post)

or the (outdated) cost-breakdown, that still gives some idea of where the money goes:
DE: https://www.fairphone.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Cost-Breakdown-Fairphone-2-German-1.pdf (link taken from the following blog-post)

@lieka
Maybe you can ask the Fairphoners in Munich for some stickers; to spread them? :wink:
And I really would point out NagerIT as well:

You can find some Information on their homepage (links in the post above).

Inoperative yet good-looking FP1 sent to Ebersberg. :slight_smile:

1 Like

There was once a “community fairphone” around (e.g. to be used in FP meetings etc.). Do you know if that still exists?

1 Like

Yes, it’s just not requested that often anymore (it came into being around the time the FP2 was all new and not every local Fairphone community already had an FP2). However, in this case it seems like Ebersberg needs a FP2 for recurring seminars, staying with them permanently.

UPDATE: OK, I take back the second sentence. :angel: Not clear if it’s a definite one-off or not.

1 Like

Yes, I think @lieka has to give her opinion :wink:
But I understand that if it’s a “one-off” that phone might be available…?

Let’s simply summon the one and only @Monica.Ciovica here before we keep wondering :wink: My guess would be that Fairphone might be willing to help with an FP2 for borrow if it’s just for a limited time (although it might not be the CFP2).

2 Likes

Hallo Urs,

ich habe gerde die Nachricht von Amsterdam erhalten, dass ich ein Fairphone geliehen bekomme. Super - und dann noch deine/eurer Teile von Fair-phones, anhand derer die Schüler sicher einmal Wesentliches Lernen können. Danke vielmals für die Unterstützung!

Der Workshop Mitte März ist unser erster zum Thema Fair-Phone. Nach diesen Erfahrungen werden wir sehen, wir wir ihn dauerhaft als Modul in unserem Leistungskatalog für die Klimabildung etablieren - und wie wir an ein Fair-Phone zum dauerhaften Gebrauch kommen. Vielleicht finden wir auch einen Sponsor?

Danke erstmal für deine/eurer Anteilnahme an dem kleinen Schulprojekt.

Untenstehend meine Antwort an Lora Haspels - dann weißt du auch genauer, wie der Workshop im Groben inhaltlich aufgebaut sein wird.

Viele Grüße

Angelika

Hello Lora,

no reason to excuse! I am very happy about your answer and offer a fairphone to loan! The first workshop will be on Wednesday 13th March. We then need the phones at the latest. And I can add a part tot he workshop that means: Compare the funtions of a fairphone to those of (your) smartphone: Test camera, loudspeakers, connection to wifi etc. I am sure the students will be impressed.

Furthermore I am in contact with members of your community – and got offers from single parts and one broken fairphone 1 that can’t be repaired anymore. And I learned, that there is a fairphone community-meeting in Munich next Monday where I will go and will probabely learn a lot from the experiences of other fair-phoners.

So you see, I am well supported! If it is possible, I would like to give some sticker, flyer etc.to the children (about 16 in the first workshop) if there are some available. I will do some documentation oft he workshop – and send them to you afterwards.

Finally my answers to your questions:

Can a workshop make students at school to be sensitive about the implications of buying a smartphone?

I hope I will be successful with the workshop. I’m dealing with the following questions – working on the answers together, with hands-on-experience and videos, pictures, teamwork…

• Emotional: What is your understanding and experience of „fair“ and „justice“?*

• Technical: What parts is your smartphone made of?
    (I will take old, non-working smartphones to let the students deal with the parts!)
    • Knowledge: How can one "save" the raw materials from the mobile phone?*

• Transfer: How can a smartphone be made "fair"?*

• Experience: Compare a (your) smartphone with the "Fair-Phone"*

• Awareness: How much energy is in a smartphone (production, transport, use     ) and why is it worth to be used for more than 18 months (average use of a smart-phone)*

Can the design of the workshop make students open for the fairphone-alternative?

I show two short videos to make pupils empathatic fort he need of a fairphone-alternative and have them exchanged own experiences with „justice/fairness“.

Can the workshop help to understand personal responsibility while “consuming” electronic devices?

The workshop is in the context of climate-education/awareness of limitation of our ressources and the need to be careful with them. I hope to make students sensitive (and responsible) – at least have a start towards this in the workshop. If this first workshop proves to be successful – I will promote it to other schools, where we are doing regualar climate education (there are 15 schools round Ebersberg at the moment).

3 Likes

Great and well thougt-out concept.
Maybe you could try to do a little evaluation by handing out a short questionnaire at the beginning and at the end of the workshop, to measure what they have learned.
And if you have the chance to question them a whil later (like 3 or 6 months), you could even get some information if it was a short lived thing or if it maybe even led to some change like decisions based on what they learned.
Even if that’s not really a valid evaluation, it should be interesting.
And should you repeat that workshop, you migt get a bigger and better database.
If you think that’s a good idea and would like to get some help, the folk at the Statistiklabor of the LMU might be resourceful.

Please, check this out: