External universal chargers for Fairphone batteries

I’ve received it! power line varioX)
I’ve already done 2 charge battery cycle, but (I don’t know why) when I put battery on phone, the phone show battery are charged 82% (and Vario X show 100%). The same with both battery (I have two battery)
Do I have to set something?

Thank you

Renato

Renato, I have mentioned this in my first post. See w1900 and mde for plausible explanations.

5 Likes

I can’t find this topic…Can you link me it?

ok, I’ve found and seen it, So, there is no solution? apart from putting the battery vertically instead of horizontally (I did that too :-))?

RENATO

@urs_lesse

These data expresses certain input current values and which (estimated) output result can be expected.
AC Input voltage in Europe can vary between 230V~ and go up to 240V~ depending on the actual grid load.
There are electrical calculation formulas defined for power conversion.

Generally it can be said. High input Voltage (V) takes low input current (A). Converting to a lower output voltage can therefore provide higher output current. It’s not about damaging any device if the output current is higher, but it will be damaged if the output voltage value is not matching the stated device specs (~equal).
That’s theory, things are a bit different looking at what a circuit analyzer measures.

It’s simple for pure DC power. VxA=Power (el. definition are UxI=P)
AC also includes the efficiency factor cos phi (φ); under perfect conditions it equals 1, but nothing is perfect irl.
For AC cases it would be correct to calculate UxIxCosφ=Power
Often the efficiency factor is neglected (not printed on tech spec labels, guess why… :thinking:) but it’s always there. (Think of a tower computers PSU 80% (cos phi 0,8) / 90% (cos phi 0,9); silver or gold standard - that’s about this cosφ) - how much power is taken from your wall socket (paying for at last) will be converted and provided on the other side → DC output. The difference between both sides is loss in form of heat, converting circuitry loss but also intended design and cost limit) :wink:

These days we have so called switching power supplies which are more efficient, but also never can reach an efficiency value of 1.
For comparison, an old fashioned light bulb had an efficiency factor of ~5% (95% heat dissipation) resulting in a cos φ 0,5

@hirnsushi

You do shine coming close to U(230V)xI(0,15A)xCosφ(1)=34,5Watts
Remember, nothing is perfect irl, only a circuit analyzer can state realistic conditions and cosφ hardly can be 1.
After the internal conversion circuitry done its magic it’s designed to provide ideally 5V DC output with max. 1A. So you only get ~5 Watts output although the adapter may take in up to ~35 Watts if your device is heavy load. This should give an idea of the true efficiency factor here…

2 Likes

FYI, as written in another thread, I use an Pixo C2+ since years which worked for all Li-Io battery types I tried but is out of production. I just stubled across Universal-Akku-Ladegerät - USB | WattGeizer.com - energiesparende Produkte which seems to be an improved successor, but I could not figure out brand and model name. I really like the possibility to load a replacement battery of any device in the hotel room, car, tent,… while freely using the device.

5 Likes

Given the discount price of just 5 € (excl. shipping), I was a bit hesitant to bring this up, but I guess if anyone wants to give it a try, a bit more choice cannot hurt. Note: I only just found this while looking for something completely different, I have no experience with it:

DÖRR TC-2 980342 Kamera-Ladegerät Passender Akku LiIon, LiPo, NiMH

2 Likes

I think it would be really useful if you guys would sell external battery chargers which can be used to charge battery’s outside of the phone so you can hot swap the battery when one is empty. This way your phone will never be empty or will ever have to be wired :smiley:

Please see above. i would never use this ,instead I use magnetic charging cables (to avoid the stress on the port and a Power Bank as I dont want to open the phone daily (multiple times in worst case)

Else using the search function reveals

https://forum.fairphone.com/search?context=topic&context_id=81652&q=external%20charger&skip_context=true

Btw this is a user forum, so we dont sell anything :wink:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

I bought this from Conrad for 8,99€ - the still current price - last week. It is certainly not of great build quality, but in my tests it did the job so far
What I have tested:

• NiMH 1.2V rechargable AA cells
  • the Fairbuds XL LiIon battery pack

The AA cells were charged to 100%, the Fairbuds XL battery to about 80%.
The charger uses a Micro-USB connector for power. One thing I noticed was the the charger certainly got pretty warm when charging the AA cells, but not as much with the LiIon pack. So I guess it serves as a working backup, but the build quality does not suggest regular use to me.

3 Likes

FYI, I just discovered another universal Li-Io-charger produced by 2power, EAN 5055190182055 and available at Chargeur 3 en 1 pour Accu, Batterie d'appareil photo et USB 1A | Chargeurs / Testeurs | Pearl.fr for 20€.

1 Like

Hello!
I have a rain problem with my FP3+ (already took it apart and cleaned and dried it) and the primary suspect, the bottom module, is out of stock.
The universal chargers above seemed a bit hard to come by at such short notice, so I went to a few mobile repair shops and I found a 10Euro universal charger “HE-316 cargador universal” from “Guson Aptor Electro Store S.L.” in Madrid. It is non-existent on the internet, so I´ll attach pictures.
With this charger I got about 70% charge in around 8h.
So until I can get my hands on a new bottom module or it spontaneously recovers, I have to deal with this setup and a second battery I guess.

Important the contacts of the charger are too wide to fit into the slits of the FP3 battery, so I had to twist them with pliers. A little piece broke off of the contact because its so flimsy, but it still works fine for me.
The charger is properly connected to the battery if you can see the percentage indicator constantly changing while pluged into the socket. If it´s not moving, it´s not charging!
If you connect the battery to the charger while it is not plugged in, the blue LED will turn on, so you know you have a good connection, but the indicator (25%, 50%, 75%, 100%) is probably not showing the actual state of the battery. I didn´t test this but it doesn´t seem that important to me.

I just left this here so that, if you are desperate and in search of a universal charger, you have another makeshift option that might be available in a mobile shop nearby as a last resort.

Related: I´m now signing up as an FP3+ Angel, as I´m very grateful for the community and support here.

Best regards and good luck with your repairs,
Stefan

6 Likes

Hi! Since we all love more-fairtrade-made tec, it be amazing to find a nice external charger for the FP4 battery, so a kind of powerbank is also possible with a fairtrade battery! I am looking for one with:

• fast charging, just like inside a FP4.
  • As small as possible to make it as portable as possible
  • with a usbc cable to actually charge it.

How can we find such a thing?
Or, a power bank case without battery, that fits a FP4 battery?

1 Like

I have bought a “hama Delta Ovum LCD” Universal Charger : https://de.hama.com/i/00081370/hama-universal-ladegeraet-delta-ovum-led-fuer-li-ionen-akkus-und-aa-aaa-zellen

It has both a 220V cable and a car-cigarette-lighter cable.

The spec sheet says it can load 3,7V Li-Ion batteries (the Fairphone 3 has a 3.85V battery).

It works. It takes about 4h to load a new Fairphone 3 battery from completely empty to 80%.

6 Likes

I have slightly edited the first post to include four quick links to feedback here in this topic as well as the regrettable update that the Fairphone 5 battery is too wide to fit into the Ansmann Powerline Vario X (it does not fit into the Dörr Travel Charger TC-2 either). :frowning:

6 Likes

Thanks for the update!

I have actually thought about cutting out a little bit of the “holder” side of the plastic case to make the FP5 battery fit. As far as I remember it already almost fits. The missing space is maybe 3mm or so. Will see when the time comes…

My memory is a bit more pessimistic there :thinking: (mde and I tried the FP5 battery in the Ansmann and the Dörr during monday night’s Aachen meetup), I think it was a bigger “space deficit”. Perhaps if the springs were out of the device, but I guess we both wouldn’t want to go that far. :wink:

2 Likes

So I just measured and indeed: I was a little too optimistic. It will likely not be possible without seriously messing with the charger casing.
Details: The battery width is 60.45mm according to the shop information, but the TC-2 has a maximum width of 52mm if I really go to the limit. So this is a 8mm gap at best.
I think the Vario X opens a little further, though (but certainly not far enough).

3 Likes