Experience from FP3 to FP4

My experience:

• Battery life: Longer with FP4 than FP3 (approximately 3-4 hrs more, under same usage patterns)

• Weight: FP4 is way too heavy (or fewels like that) compared to FP3, which is a downgrade, especially if you try to use the phone with only one hand.

• Missing infomation LED: A BIG downgrade…

• Overall performance: FP4 is a considerable step forward when I compare it with the FP3, from the startup time to opening /processing documents&pictures, and the (video) call quality as well.

6 Likes

@yvmuell , thanks for the fingerprint/unlock tip!

Yes, I suppose I should have checked the fine print a bit better with the “dual SIM” but that is not a common interface in the country where I am based. I don’t know how common the eSim is in Europe so perhaps that’s my fault but the marketing of “dual sim” with an eSim is a little misleading.

@Ingo great additional point with the LED.

It’s also interesting the battery life experiences seem to be varied.

2 Likes

I have no FP4 yet and will definitely avoid it as long as possible and stick to my FP3. A few ‘features’ are an absolute downgrade. Most notable:

• no indicator LED. This is essential since I can see what’s up without unlocking the phone + low battery warning.
  • no audio jack. I refuse Bluetooth headphones (yet another gadget I would need to constantly recharge).
  • size. It is already quite difficult to sit down with the FP3 in my pocket. If the FP4 is even bigger, where would I put it?
  • a great plus would be a better fingerprint sensor. The one on FP3 is next to unusable.

Just my 2 cents…

4 Likes

I don’t think the overall size of the phone will be a problem. IIRC it’s about one or two mm higher and less than one mm wider [Edit: in fact it’s 4mm, see later posts]. The screen got bigger because the FP4 almost has no bezels so that the screen takes up basically all of the front side, which isn’t the case for the FP3.

5 Likes

Never had a problem on two FP3s for two years, though there is some skill.

I only have one fingerprint and it seems to read well with the the left side of my finger :slight_smile:

However I work on the land multiple, wash clothes by hand etc. and I do have to wait until my finger dry as the wet fingers distort the fingerprint.

1 Like

I much appreciate that you want too stay with your current device as long as possible!
Still two comments:

It’s possible too use an USB adapter for cable headsets. That’s still another gadget, but doesn’t have to be charged.

Some reported to fix their fingerprint sensor by putting a sticky tape over it…

4 Likes

To compare the FP3 and the FP4, I went on gsmarena and the difference is more than 1 or 2 mm : Compare Fairphone 4 vs. Fairphone 3+ - GSMArena.com

Millimetres

Model Thickness Width Length
FP3 9.89 71.8 158.0
FP4 10.5 75.5 162.0
Diff 0.61 3.7 4.0

Data from Fairphone sales specs: Unless I made an error :

4 Likes

Yes, Alain, you are right, it’s 4mm, not 2mm. And the “less than one mm” is for the thickness instead of one of the other dimensions.

But I have put the FP3 on top of the FP4 and the difference is quite small. If someone for example has a trouser pocket where the FP3 still fits somehow and the FP4 doesn’t, I personally wouldn’t put the FP3 in there either as it’s too tight anyway in my opinion.

4 Likes

Ok, a few mm might be tolerable. Thanks for the info.

1 Like

I put the two phones next to each her some months ago and I agree the difference between both is small especially in my big hands. But if the FP3 was already big for somebody, then the FP4 can feel like huge because of some millimetres more.

4 Likes

I would add the following personal consideration: with the FP3, because I did not trust the plastic as frame material, I always used one of the cases. The FP4 makes a much more solid impression, so I use it without a case. With case on the FP3 the external size differences shrink to insignificance (especially with the enlargement-issue of the FP3-case…)
So that leaves the longer thumbs that you need because of the larger screen.

3 Likes

True, no need to charge. Still a nuisance.

On first try this works surprisingly well. I’ll test more thoroughly. Thanks for the hint.

1 Like

Only curious as I’ve always used two hands with a phone so as long as I can hold one securly, usually the left hand my right hand is free to roam the screen :slight_smile:

And of course there is mention of a new One Hand operation mode in the ‘coming’ A12

Thirdly people who buy the phone due to it’s fair trade ethics, although maybe used to the convenience of a smaller phone may be prepared to do the extra work requires by two hands.

Mind you a smaller phone would suit me too :slight_smile:

RE fingerprint sensor on FP3 and FP4, I’d say that performance is pretty good in both cases as long as you take care with setting up your print records.

FP4 having the sensor on the power button is not as good as the FP3 in my opinion.

You might be interested in a post I wrote about setting up fingerprints for the FP3, equally applicable to the FP4 I would say.

Once you’ve got it working properly, a good rule to follow, is: as soon as you encounter a failure and have to fall back on your other unlocking method (PIN, pattern or whatever), go immediately to settings, delete the oldest fingerprint record and make a new one. This is inevitable as our fingertips change in time, especially with the seasons.

2 Likes

For me the FP4 sensor is much more reliable in recognizing any finger ( and has its on obstacles of being too sensitive and to scan multiple times without lifting…)

The FP3 Sensor works fine in Apps and is a (nicely said) nightmare when it comes to unlocking the phone. The sticky tape as mentioned by Volker helps a lot and makes it okish reliable for me…permanently re-scanning my fingers would be quite annoying in my eyes…

Well I guess we all have different fingers and skins :smile:
I don’t re-scan very often, maybe once every three to four months (just add one print, always the same finger, so the registered prints are the same in different states, sweaty, clean, …), not exactly annoying.

I would not want to contradict you in any case

1 Like

Not to want create a new topic FP4 to FP3 :slight_smile:

A daughter with an FP4 has returned it for ‘repair’ the battery is very loose ??

Anyway I have ‘lent’ ‘given’ her my second (two year old) FP3, and now she says she prefers it as it is slightly smaller, without the case, and a more comfortable hold.

Let’s see, I may get her FP4 if she really means it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.