End of software support for FP2 is March 2023

Yes, that what I do (and check “unseen” for those threads I’m following but strangely enough don’t always appear in “latest”. Go figure.).
Anyway, what I was talking (joking) about above is finding some old thread about something, in this case (to get back on topic) “FP2 end of support”. I only found it as a suggestion when I started typing my post. Strangely enough the top bar search engine didn’t find it. Oh well.

And the use may be even much longer with Divest OS: Everything about Divest OS on the Fairphones :slight_smile:

Life extension is still the option with custom ROM. Let’s gather the possibilities:

• /e/ for one more year

• DivestOS for ? And not really tested (no verified boot),

• LOS maintained by @chrmhoffmann is still updated monthly, but I don’t know for how long time. Does this anybody know?

• Others?
    Please continue or correct the list, so most longtime users of FP2 can select the best option. I guess, that some of us have to change the ROM.

Best Peace
(-> actually more than before)

1 Like

SFOS
https://forum.fairphone.com/t/sailfish-os-4-4-0-68-release5-for-fairphone-2/88956/21

1 Like

Possibilities are imho already listed here:

9 Likes

Hello,
I have had my FP2 for 6 and a half years and it’s still working well apart from the microphone. I undestand that a small company can’t keep up with many versions, but I don’t want to stop using a device that’s still working.
I would like to know if alternative systems are reliable and allow to use Whatsap and banking applications. I am a bit scared of installing a system and finding that my phone doesn’t work as it used to.

Hi.

Just a note on the mic issue.

It may be possible to get that fixed, especially if you have a tech loving friend with nimble fingers etc.

There are other topics/posts

WhatsApp definetly when you “at least” have microG integrated (like e/OS has). Banking Apps is another story and there is no yes or no answer as there are so many banking apps out there. I think the likelyhood they work might be a bit bigger when you install at least a small Google Apps Pack along with Lineage OS, however still no guarentee overall ,as the App might consider a custom ROM to be Root and refuse to allow the app to run. So if you want to know, you need to ask for a specific banking app and still that might change every day.
I used Lineage with Gapps many years on my FP2 and was very happy with it, as well many use e/OS with their FP2, so yes they are reliable overall.

1 Like

Thanks @yvmuell and @anon9989719 for your comments about the apps and the microphone. I’ll try and remove the mike one day. I’ve got used to using earphones even though it prevents me from picking up quickly.

1 Like

If you’re a bit tech savvy you might copy (backup) all your internal data to a different device (computer/notebook/…) and boot TWRP (#twrpwoflashing ) and do a full backup there. Then you could install an alternative system, try everything out and still go back using your backups.

3 Likes

WhatsApp actually works without MicroG or any other type of Google services/framework: https://www.xda-developers.com/huawei-app-alternatives/

I think the idea is that WhatsApp wouldn’t work on Huawei phones if they required Google services/framework.

When looking at the options Fairphone provides there’s the option to send the FP2 to them for recycling and receive a 50€ voucher. While this is a nice way to say thank you to their customers (before that my FP2 would have been worth 12€ to them, which was always surprisingly much compared to other, even younger phones) I see two issues with the concept:

1. This is limited until end of March. Fair enough, they are a business in the end, but of course that doesn’t reward those customers that are really trying to live the spirit of squeezing out as much lifetime of their phones as possible.
  2. The second point is independent from being fair or whatever: People need to send in their phone, wait for 1-2 weeks and finally will receive their voucher which they can apply to the order of their new Fairphone. Fairphone or not: Aren’t most of us addicted or at least dependent on our phones so much, that even one week without it wouldn’t work easily? Banking, tickets for public transport, authenticator apps for work and so on. For a transition most people would certainly find it convenient to have both, the old and the new device for a day or two at the same time.

So I question this concept: What should I do with a 50€ voucher /after/ I have bought a new phone? Hopefully not spend it on spare parts…
Did I miss anything, is there a concept of getting back the voucher value /after/ buying the new phone?

3 Likes

Sounds promising. As I’m no technical expert, I have some questions:

1. In which ways /e/ is different from Android? To be more specific, would Apps like e.g. Deutsche Bahn work on that system as well?
  2. If I find someone who can install /e/ to my FP2, will I be able to use it in a secure mode (online of course)? …for roundabout 1 year as the post on Mastodon claims?
    Thanks a lot!

You may be interested by

/e/ is just another edition of Android, like FPOS. However it’s significantly de-Googlized and doesn’t come with Chrome and all the Google-Somethings you get with the stock OS. A refreshing change, I’d say. You can still use your Gmail messaging, and even access web-based Google services if you wish.

I’d say, yes. Some purists dispute this, but I think the best anti-malware out there is simply users’ caution and common sense.

6 Likes

Good to know again. As FP Angels which are nearest to me didn’t reply to my mail so far (sent last Tuesday), plus my FP2 get’s more and more moody every day, I guess I have to get a FP4.

BUT /e/ sounds still attractive! Is there an alternative way to contact Fairphone Angels or would I just have to give them more time (vacation, voluntary…)?

Not really, as you say they are volunteers who use what time they feel able to deal with.

Have you tried a factory reset on your FP2

3 Likes

What exactly would you be expecting from the FP angel you’ve contacted? Maybe someone else on the forum here might help?

1 Like

Not now. As it took much time & nerves the last times, I must have suppressed that :wink: But I might give it a try for the moody things.

1 Like

I’d like someone to take my FP2 and switch the system from Android to /e/ (without knowing exactly what that looks like) in order to have it keep working in a secure mode.
I also thought about asking in a neighbourhood network if it doesn’t necessarily have to do with FP especially. Do you know details about specific abilities concerning FPs?

1 Like