End of sales FP2 bottom module

The FP2 release notes have this to say:

Fairphone OS version 19.11.2 (Android 7.1) - 10 December, 2019

• 2019-10-05 security patch level

Fairphone OS version 21.01.0 (Android 9) - March 25, 2021

• 2021-03-05 security patch level

Does your boss know about a “security gap” of five months for your business phone, too? If every company had such a rule, we would drown in electrical waste, fair or not…

Which? I have not heard of an app that is no longer compatible with A7…

Ok, if you refuse to understand, so be it.

4 Likes

Fairphone set their priorities totally wrong. FP2s would live longer if there were bottom modules available, apps and encryption (still) run well on A7, no updates (to A9) would break devices, no one would become frustrated. Look where we are now, Fairphone…

Keeping Software up to date is a must, in these days of permanent Internet access. So not updating the FP2 makes all of them, at least those with the original software, unusable. Not providing bottom modules only some of them.

4 Likes

That is not true. I am running LineageOS, some have /e/ OS installed on their FP2s. What about them (and me)? There are alternatives, so why focus on the original OS?

1. Which part of “at some point” and “might” was unclear?

2. (Quick internet search) …

(source)

You have heard of an App now.

I’m not happy with Fairphone being unable to further source bottom modules either. And I’m very not happy with Fairphone not instantly committing to actively find sustainable ways to help users to make something happen themselves, e.g. by publishing schematics or something.
But it’s not as if all of a sudden all working bottom modules out there are disappearing. Not being able to buy them in an online shop is not where anybody needing one wants to be, for sure, but for a while there will still be second hand options out there.
And again: Not every Fairphone 2 user needs a new bottom module.

This is not an Android 9 thing (not even an Android thing) and you know it.
Any update can go wrong. State of the software industry.

If this concern would outweigh the benefits of updates, almost everybody with a Fairphone 2 would still be on Android 5 (or perhaps 6 with batches sold later) .

That would be awesome (for the fact in itself) and a little concerning (for an obvious lack of awareness) considering

… or longer, you might want to count that again :wink: .

Also, while it doesn’t help those who are frustrated, there’s also the other side … example …

6 Likes

Well, I said:

Of course there are alternatives, but not all of the users are willing or able to install them. So I‘m glad Fairphone is providing a feasable solution.

6 Likes

You can find almost every FP2 module on Austrians biggest second hand marketplace www.willhaben.at , but no bottom module. Guess why…

Right, those who do not use their FP2 for phonecalls probably never need a new bottom module…

That would be a good disclaimer for the FP2 release notes…

I am not at all against updates, and most of you know that, but this A9 update will be a short joy for FP2 owners when there is a hardware failure and no chance to fix it…

I am not willing to install Fairphone OS neither.

Regarding the app requirement: I must admit that this is news to me, but how many FP2 owners will use apps that require at least A8?

Regarding the “security gap”: There are folks in here who still even use their FP1. (Life in the fast lane!) If security was such a big deal, why do you “accept” a security patch gap from A7 to A9 of 17(!) months? Just get a FP3 if a patched Google OS is such a big issue for you…

And those who never use the USB port for charging :wink: .

It would be, in my opinion.
And they could add “The importance of your data on the phone can be measured by how recent your backup of it is.” and “Don’t do updates in the absence of a computer or resourceful people to help you to set up the phone from scratch in a worst case scenario.” and “Don’t do updates when in time constraints or in need of this phone working fairly soon in the future (like e.g. tomorrow).” and “Look up Murphy’s Law for anything else.”

My point is … there were failures with “normal” updates, too, not only with upgrades to a new major Android version.
And there are failures with updates of other OSes on other computer devices.
This Android 9 upgrade on the Fairphone 2 now isn’t anything special in that regard.

Else …
There also might not be a hardware failure, and then it might not be such a short joy. Or there might still be chances to fix it. Speculation.

3 Likes

Correct, but the microphone has proven to be the weaker part…

In case of an FP2, every owner with the official Fairphone OS would be well advised to not update, at least not OTA. Maybe Fairphone should sell a coolpack or external fan to prevent damage to the phone during an update procedure. The failure rate is high due to bad hardware design, and you know that…

No speculation. Fairphone have their numbers of FP2 and bottom module sells, and the secondhand markets show that there is a high demand for this module when compared to the other ones offered…

You don’t know there’s a high failure rate without knowing the number of attempts, and in the same way you can’t simply conclude failure due to bad hardware design.
And so, no, I don’t know that.

A lot of people are all qualified virologists for a while now, a lot of people will be qualified coaches of their national football teams come summer, and a lot of Fairphone users obviously would have run Fairphone better in every imaginable way.
Reality doesn’t care, though.

6 Likes

But as an expert, you do know that extreme heat, e.g. caused by an OS update, will harm the surrounding electrical components. And the SoC of the FP2 is known to produce a lot of heat when stressed, so the more it must be conducted away. Which measures did the Fairphone engineers take to cope with the heat?

Now you do…

Right, not everyone gets infected with SARS-CoV-2…

Why should I buy new hardware to get a software update? That means that I throw working hardware onto the e-waste pile and pay for new soft- and hardware when I only need the software.

5 Likes

The answer lies in the post you cited. Today I have learned that a company does not accept phones with a security patch date older than one year. Between A7 and A9, the FP2 did not receive security patches for 17 months. As security on Android is breached almost weekly, and as a private person, getting security updates is not that important for me than for such a company. So why should it wait five months longer than it usually does after one year of “security absence” has passed?

I do not fear to be hacked, because I know how to protect myself, e.g. encrypting sensible data, and I have nothing confidential to hide. But I am perfectly aware of the risk for a company to be exposed by using a vulnerable device. If I were the boss of the company, I would not risk my business, and the only right thing to do in such a case is to buy new hardware to stay secure and wait no longer, considering that nothing else than a Google OS is used…

No, I don’t.
You still don’t know the number of update attempts, and you still can’t conclude anything.
There are users reporting that the phone gets unusually hot in the update process. Ok, that is a concern, but I could have reported the same thing for every time I made a TWRP backup when I started out with the Fairphone 2. This didn’t make any backup fail.

You are looking at a limited number of forum posts reporting heat while updating to construct a problem with the update because you dont like the fact the update even exists.
I could look up the limited number of forum posts where users said everything went fine with the update to construct in the same way an argument that everything’s fine with the update because I don’t have anything against that it exists.
That’s just meaningless logically in both cases, it’s anecdotal.

Get Fairphone to give you the number of phones updated and the number of support requests about updates failing because of heat.
Otherwise just continue to stomp your feet and be grumpy. Have fun.

6 Likes

This is not comparable in any way with an update from A7 to A9. Users who performed the update are complaining about high temperatures for one or even two days. I would not have any concern about this update if the temperatures were not rising that high for such a long time span, and the fact that this is happening should have lead to a stop of the A9 update rollout and further investigations at Fairphone…

Let me guess: I shall write to support@fairphone.com ? Hohoho! Now seriously, I have far better things to do than to wait for an answer that never will come. What do you think, @formerFP.Com.Manager ?

I do, without stomping my feet and without being grumpy…

Well I was not happy with that, the upgrade to Android 9 was coming far to late, but at least it came, and it’s possible to use the FP2 for a while now, until Google is cancelling the software support for A9.

5 Likes

Hola, what is FDroit? What should I learn out of this answer.

And what am I going to do now?
I can not call I can not receive calles . My phone is useless
My expectation to be able to repair my phone turned out be a lie.
The two extra parts I bought where both useless.
Buy another phone again? which one, I feel shit now to buy any phone
Not a fairephone which made me so happy, in my human heart, but in the end was very expencive and did not last me as long as I expected.
Anybody have any suggestions?

1 Like

My FP has been the phone with the shortest lifespan of all the phones I had, What do you mean?
Two years, not even, did not drop it or what so ever. Really
Bought extra parts because cannot get them where I am, that are not working, and blablabla
I feel upset, humiliated, a little stupid
What was I thinking?