Earspeaker used instead of loudspeaker, unable to switch

Hi there.

Since the update of my FP 3+ to Android 11 (8901.4.A.0010), I have encountered the following bug several times already:

I receive a Signal call and the voice of the other person comes out of the earspeaker instead of the loudspeaker, even though the loudspeaker is activated in Signal and even though I try to switch from loudspeaker to earspeaker and back (in Signal).

The same has happened with other apps (but I don’t remember which ones). When dragging down the top bar in Android, it will tell me that the app is using the “Phone speaker” (=loudspeaker) while the sound is coming out of the earspeaker.

So far I haven’t been able to find a likely cause. The only remedy seems to be to restart the phone. I will keep monitoring this and add more detailed observations to this post.

Does anybody else experience this?

I’m wondering if the update is rather a coincidence and probably Signal to blame more, as I have encountered issues from time to time with Signal with speaker and microphone also in the past with FP2. Just yesterday I could only hear something on loudspeaker and also it took some time and switching mute on/off several times that my brother could hear me. I dont use FPOS but Iode OS. Else I dont use other apps like Signal to make calls and for phone calls I never had any issue, neither with FPOS nor Iode.

wondering if the update is rather a coincidence and probably Signal to blame more, as I have encountered issues from time to time with Signal with speaker and microphone also in the past with FP2

I don’t know but it doesn’t seem so because it is also happening with other apps. Just today I listened to a voice message on Wechat and it consistently came out of the wrong speaker: Wechat has a “Listen on ear” mode for its voice messages. I was in a crowded place and wanted to listen using the earspeaker, switched to that mode and put the phone to my ear. However, the sound came out of the loudspeaker. I took the phone away from my head triggering the detection mechanism and then the sound came out of the earspeaker. When I put it next to my head again it switched again to loudspeaker. :angry: So in summary it was using exactly the wrong speaker each time. I then plugged in some headphones which seems to have solved it, without the need for a reboot. I will monitor further, and try if plugging in headphones reliably un-confuses my FP.

2 Likes

Updating this: the solution still works. I have had to use it from time to time. It’s a bit annoying but not overly so

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.